Seattle Pilots

I'm flying out to Seattle in May to attend a conference at the convention center. Would it be worth it to bring my P3S with me and trying to fly at Waterfront Park?

Check the City of Seattle web site for park rules. I think there is a link to Seattle park information on another page in this thread.

Safe droning.

are you flying as a hobby or as a Part 107 pilot?

Seattle city has an ordinance that says no drone flying in their parks. What does that mean? We don't really know. Does that mean i can not stand in the park and control the UAV? or does it mean i can't be 5 feet off the ground? or 100 ft.? The airspace is controlled by the FAA not the city of Seattle. So this hasn't been addressed yet.

I called the parks department and asked them about this. They are under the impression that we can not fly in or above the park, nor take off or land there. I argued the fact that FAA (federal) law preempts a city ordinance and they can not prevent me from flying above the park. They can cite you for taking off or landing... i got that, but actually flying above a park. I would challenge that.

Almost every "beach" in the City of Seattle is a city park, so beware there. I usually fly at Alki Beach. It is outside the restricted airspace of KBFI (so no phone calls or airspace authorization needed). But I launch from the street and fly over the beach (making sure no one is below me) and over the water. From there I can track boats and get great sunset images and general practice.

There is a seaplane "airport" at Lake Union. So most of the pier area and downtown are within a 5 mile radius, if you are flying for hobby you are supposed to call them and give them notification.

Anywhere near SeaTac is going to be tricky. Check to see what areas are in the Class B airspace... which would be off limits.

Ok - so when can we have a Puget Sound Meet-N-Greet? Hang out, maybe fly a bit, get some stories swapped??? Let's make this happen!!!! [emoji106][emoji2][emoji106]

I found a great flight spot along the coast, north of downtown Seattle, with free parking just around the corner. This walking path has convenient benches under shade trees to navigate from. The walking path is blacktop to take off from, just make sure bikers and walkers are far enough away to be safe.

upload_2017-12-19_21-50-48.png

Here's some video I captured last week. Great location, great skyline.

I have tried that and it didn't help. I even tried using a different Android phone.

People suggested me to use Apple iPad. I'll try that next. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl