SD Card Recommendation

Reaction score
28b1494f0fa4ee7e83c774f52dbd5888.jpg

Currently using the card above would like suggestions as to what card to get that won't be too much card for the P4.

Is it better to have multiple cards and switch during battery changes or is it better to have one high capacity card.

I currently have 3 batteries and I'm looking to film in the highest resolution possible.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Patrick Ager
Is it better to have multiple cards and switch during battery changes or is it better to have one high capacity card.
Some people like to use multiple memory cards so they don't lose all of their footage/photos if the memory card is lost or becomes damaged.

Reactions: brewforbrains
Do you value your images?
Would it upset you to lose the work of the last 3 or 4 flights?
I currently have 3 batteries and I'm looking to film in the highest resolution possible.
You'll need about 0.7GB to store a minute of video, or about 20 minutes per 16GB card.

I only use Lexar now - they make a 1000x brown version with 2 lines of data copper on the back.
Excellent - not much more cost than the blue
The blue are faster than the Phantom can output image files anyway.
You get nothing extra with the more expensive cards.

It also will depend if you shoot 4k video or you film at lesser resolutions. At the end of the day, more than the reading speed of the card (the 633x or 1000x that show the two cards images in this post) we will need a good and fast enough writing speed. And this is related to the very small number which appears inside the "U" symbol written also in every card.
I can not read very well the first image (blue Lexar 16 GB) but it seems to me it is a "1". The second card, 32GB Lexar, shows a number 3 within the "U". That 3 is the number needed to shoot at the 4k maximum resolution with the Phantom4

It also will depend if you shoot 4k video or you film at lesser resolutions. At the end of the day, more than the reading speed of the card (the 633x or 1000x that show the two cards images in this post) we will need a good and fast enough writing speed. And this is related to the very small number which appears inside the "U" symbol written also in every card.
I can not read very well the first image (blue Lexar 16 GB) but it seems to me it is a "1". The second card, 32GB Lexar, shows a number 3 within the "U". That 3 is the number needed to shoot at the 4k maximum resolution with the Phantom4
Here are DJI's specs for the SD card you need:
Supported SD CardsMicro SD
Max Capacity: 128GB
Write speed ≥15MB/s, Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

These are the cards shown above :
i-t5xtCRc-M.jpg

They are more than fast enough to record 4K video and paying more for a faster card won't do it any better.

Reactions: Patrick Ager
Here are DJI's specs for the SD card you need:
Supported SD CardsMicro SD
Max Capacity: 128GB
Write speed ≥15MB/s, Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

These are the cards shown above :
i-t5xtCRc-M.jpg

They are more than fast enough to record 4K video and paying more for a faster card won't do it any better.
So the card I have should write to 4K without hiccups. I keep reading that U1 is for 1080p and U3 is for UHD/4K.

I guess that redirects my question to. What is the minimum write speed for stutterless 4K video and what is the write speed of the P4 camera?

Ever since I upgraded firmware on my p34k and p3p my U1 sd cards have had hiccups (pics, 1080p and 4K) and will sometimes not even try to capture at all. I bought a 32gb U3 and everything works as it used to. I did notice less processing time when capturing with a U3 as well.

So the card I have should write to 4K without hiccups. I keep reading that U1 is for 1080p and U3 is for UHD/4K.
I guess that redirects my question to. What is the minimum write speed for stutterless 4K video and what is the write speed of the P4 camera?
You need a card with a write speed ≥15MB/s
The camera writes at a little less than that.

Sometimes it isn't the card's design specs (what the manufacturer intended the card to produce) but rather the card's reliability. Had no issues at first with a SanDisk, but a few months later had recording issues. Design specs are what's required. Works fine though in my tablet which doesn't require speed.

I use this card in my phone, Surface Pro 4 and Phantom 4. No issues.
SanDisk Extreme PRO 64 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter up to 95 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I did use the following but it managed to break just at the end of a drone flight. Managed to get the videos and, strangely enough, Sandisk replaced the card with the 200Gb model (Odd) so maybe avoid it for your drone).

SanDisk Extreme PLUS 32 GB microSDHC Memory Card + SD Adapter up to 95 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30 - Red/Brown: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

P.s. I have 3 other backup cards in the case.

I haven't had issues with the plus, but I have with just extreme (no plus or pro) that came with my P3A as a package.

Sometimes it isn't the card's design specs (what the manufacturer intended the card to produce) but rather the card's reliability. Had no issues at first with a SanDisk, but a few months later had recording issues. Design specs are what's required. Works fine though in my tablet which doesn't require speed.
I was using a 16GB Lexar card, class 10 with my P3S on July 4 filming the fireworks when all of the sudden it stopped recording after taking about 10 minutes of video. I was able to download all of the videos from that night except for the last one, which was corrupted and the card cannot be formatted or fixed. Had to go out and buy a new one. I think I'll carry two cards, one as a backup from now on.

This is the Sd Micro card I use. It delivers an excellent quality 4k video and
stills.
DSC_0010.JPG

I have a bunch of Sandisk Extreme 64g cards. They work fine, and I've never had an issue. I get about 1hr 24min of 4K60 / h.264 on one.

Unfortunately for the Lexar guys - Micron recently announced they're shutting down the Lexar brand entirely, so if that's your go-to brand, get them while they last :-(

Reactions: Loz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12