SD card formatting ?

Reaction score
Hi guys, new here and I bought a used p3a for my first drone. Took it for first flight today and managed to get a short video, but when I clicked the camera button it made shutter sounds but cannot find the pics anywhere. The app tells me formatting card recommended, but I had a guy familiar with p3p and he said dint format card because the firmware is on there. Where are my pics? Newest updates and on android 6.0.1 Galaxy tab s.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hi guys, new here and I bought a used p3a for my first drone. Took it for first flight today and managed to get a short video, but when I clicked the camera button it made shutter sounds but cannot find the pics anywhere. The app tells me formatting card recommended, but I had a guy familiar with p3p and he said dint format card because the firmware is on there. Where are my pics? Newest updates and on android 6.0.1 Galaxy tab s.

Sounds sort of like your buddy isnt really too familiar with P3s. If everything is at the FW versions you like (meaning AC and batteries), it is your choice to keep the firmware .bin file on the card or not. I dont myself.

Also, there is no problem with formatting the card. I do mine sometimes in my computer and sometimes in the P3 itself. Whatever is convenient for me at the moment.

Obviously, don't format the card before copying over any videos or still photos from the card first!

Reactions: Meta4
OK, I still don't understand what formatting the card does or if it's been previously used in this drone why does it need to be done. WTH is a firmware .bin file? I installed the SD card into my computer and there is folders on there but no pics. Sorry for being a newb, just never dealt much with this stuff

OK, I still don't understand what formatting the card does or if it's been previously used in this drone why does it need to be done. WTH is a firmware .bin file? I installed the SD card into my computer and there is folders on there but no pics.
Look for the DCIM folder and inside that you'll find a folder called 100MEDIA.
Your photos will be in there.
i-pWrRcqX-M.jpg

Formatting effectively wipes whatever is on the card so you know you are starting with a clean card and not accumulating junk that you don't need.
If you format after copying your photos/videos to your computer, you know that everything on the card after a flight is new material.
A .bin file is the file you use to initiate a firmware update.
Once the firmware on your Phantom is updated, there's no need to keep it on the SD card.

OK, so I updated the firmware thru the remote and it says everything up to date, so if I format the card will I get pics? There is nothing in the dcim folder

OK, so I updated the firmware thru the remote and it says everything up to date, so if I format the card will I get pics? There is nothing in the dcim folder
If you format the card, you will wipe whatever is on it.
If there is nothing in the DCIM folder, you don't have any pics.

Thank you fir the help. I'll try formatting it tomorrow and see if it will store pics. I take part in 6 different forums, but I think I'll be asking more questions than answering here. TY

I format on a regular basis in the phantom camera - I think it helps prevent card errors. I do it about every 4 weeks, or when I start a new job for a client.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

So tried this morning after formatting card, no luck, so I tried a different card and finally got some pics. So I'm happy, went to a spot this afternoon to take some pics that I wanted.....nothing saved. Someone please tell me what is going on or what I'm doing wrong.

Also, since I bought this use the original owners profile shows up on my flight profile also, but the records are identical to mine. How do I get rid of the extra profile?

So tried this morning after formatting card, no luck, so I tried a different card and finally got some pics. So I'm happy, went to a spot this afternoon to take some pics that I wanted.....nothing saved. Someone please tell me what is going on or what I'm doing wrong.
I'd suggest putting the Phantom on your desk, no need for props or to start the motors and experiment to figure out what you're doing wrong.
Have you tried the shutter button on the screen as well as the one on the controller?
When you take a photo you should hear a camera shutter sound from the app and see an animation effect around the screen button as the file is written.
You should be able to review the photos by pushing the smaller button on the controller beside the shutter button.

Reactions: Oso
I get the shutter sound, just nothing saved on 2nd flight today. After taking pics, or so I thought, I took video and that recorded fine. I'm gonna try your suggestion and read through manual again

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31