SD Card error - no card works

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm having a lot of trouble reading SD cards. In fact, I can't read any. Every time I put a card in the drone, I hear "SD card error, please replace it". I've formatted the card on my computer as exfat. I've also pluged it into the remote (I have a remote with attached screen) and formatted it here. I've tried formatting it FROM the drone, but I get an error. I've tried this with three memory cards so far. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Trevor

Card details please ...

Brand
Version
Speed
Size

What Drone

I’m thinking that one is just under what you need. This may help.
7CB91923-2E9E-4117-A4A3-069EAB0257BB.png

Dunno about the P4 ... but my P3 will warn me if card is not fast enough for the settings. It will still work though..... albeit with possible break-ups in recording.

Reducing to 1080 etc. or lower is the usual way to get around it till new card is obtained.

OP says his card is just not recognised at all ... saying error .... so ? I don't think its speed of card.

What is the max size of card for a P4 ? I know I have various digital stuff and if I try a larger card than spec'd - it will usually fail to recognise it.

OP says his card is just not recognised at all ... saying error .... so ? I don't think its speed of card.

Yeah, I haven't picked up a new card just yet, but I'm sceptical because of this reason. I feel like the drone would read a slower card, but I'd only notice a problem once recording. We'll see once I obtain an extreme card.

Hey all,

I've tried another card (still not extreme), but I changed the video resolution down to 1080 before inserting the card. It still says "initialising" then gives me the audible SD card error. I'll be heading out soon to buy an extreme card, but I must admit, I'm a little sceptical that the drone would reject a slower card since the exact worked for years before this...

Before you spend money on other cards .......

Get a selection of cards that you do not mind completely emptying ... doesn't matter what they are as long as mini SD and they fit.

First - make sure they read / write in your PC.

Second - do not use Quick Format ... select FULL format and use FAT30 to format the cards. Under no circumstance use NTFS... again make sure they read / write in your PC.

Third - test each in the drone ... and I suspect all will fail. OK ... power down to remove any residual error condition.

Fourth - power up and reduce resolution to absolute minmum spec and test cards ... I seem to remember it would only remember the changed resolution if the card worked ... but may be wrong there.

If you get a card to work ... then increase spec a step at a time testing each.

Yes I know - a pain in the ***** ... but I'm trying to eliminate some factors.

If you find it does not work with minimum spec and any card - then I suspect the card slot itself or board is faulty.

I had the same problem with cards until put the SanDisc Extreme Pro (black and red one). Since it works OK.

@solentlife, tried every step, one by one. The cards failed at both the fourth and fifth step. I'm with you, I'm thinking I have a faulty card slot. The only real thing left so far based on all suggestions is try an extreme card... I'll let you know what I find.

Hey all,

So I just tried one of these cards, and I got the same error. I formatted with FAT32 on my computer as well and no luck... I guess it's not the type of memory card afterall. I'm guessing there's something more serious going on. I'll get in contact with DJI and see what can be done...

At least you know when it gets sorted - the card you now have is correct for the job.

Sorry tests didn't work out but at least it has narrowed down possibilities.

If it was a less sensitive / expensive item - I might have tried solventless plastic safe contact cleaner in the slot - just in case of soiled contacts ... but I would never advise others to do it ... especially if chance of sending to DJI for diagnosis.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav