Screen glare

I think I like the idea that I heard earlier, a guy said that he took a baseball cap and sewed some black material (like part of an old tee shirt) to the bill that would be long and wide enough to hang down over the controller after you get the drone in the air away from obstructions so you could fly it looking through the camera.

Sounds like this approach directly contradicts the VLOS requirement of the FAA. The VLOS requirement does NOT say if there are no obstructions ... forget about VLOS.

I think I like the idea that I heard earlier, a guy said that he took a baseball cap and sewed some black material (like part of an old tee shirt) to the bill that would be long and wide enough to hang down over the controller after you get the drone in the air away from obstructions so you could fly it looking through the camera.
Visual line of sight is required for commercial pilots vs "looking through the camera"

Visual line of sight is required for commercial pilots vs "looking through the camera"
VLOS is a safety requirement for ALL RPIC (drone pilots). Commercial pilots need to be registered/licensed to show they have a broad base of knowledge on airspace, weather, safety, and many other areas. ALL pilots need to follow the simple/basic rules for SAFETY ... fly under 400’, maintain VLOS, don’t fly over people/stadiums, don’t fly over busy roadways. FPV is OK when you can coordinate that with frequent scanning of the sky and your drone.

How does everyone control the glare on the screen outdoors?

I solved the problem with a DIY approach using the natural 5 sides of a 24 can Dr. Pepper cardboard cartoon. It is the perfect inside dimensions for my iPad Air II which I use for my flight monitor and very light weight. I also turn the display screen to full brightness and disable auto brightness.
This DIY shade is easily replaceable and modifiable. I only use it on bright, sunny days.
DIY-Hood.jpg

Reactions: dreddman
I use a 7 inch Samsung galaxy turned to outside mode ? I think its called with a homemade black plastic/cardboard hood works ok as long as you don't have your back to the sun ....... while I was typing this I just thought what about a umbrella?

I use a 7 inch Samsung galaxy turned to outside mode ? I think its called with a homemade black plastic/cardboard hood works ok as long as you don't have your back to the sun ....... while I was typing this I just thought what about a umbrella?
Holding an umbrella and flying could be tricky. Just wear a sombrero. Lol

I bought a screen protector for my ipad that has a matte finish to it. Helps quite a bit... For actually flying, I have a pair of HD cinemizer glasses I wear that don't let any light in and I can see through the camera to fly.

not a good idea. Can't see the drone that way. or even people walking up on you. You need to be able to see the drone
I just use a black cover over my head just to get airborne,, nothing better on the market so far. Have fun flying, use the cover when safe for the special shots. There is nothing else at the moment.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20