School me on current iPads

Reaction score
Hey all - been flying for years on an iPad Mini 2, and aside from being a bit hard to see due to glare/brightness, it's served me well. Last several flights I've been getting "Mobile Device CPU overloaded" and terrible performance; I'm currently resetting it in hopes of it working better.

To finish the job this morning, I instead plugged in my Android phone and was instantly amazed at the fluidity and brightness of the picture.

If my iPad Mini 2 really has just gotten too old, what would you all recommend I replace it with? I see that by and large iOS appears to be seen as smoother overall than Android for drone work (despite my love of Android phones), and this iPad would *only* be for flying - could you all recommend something that wouldn't break the bank but would last me several years?

Many thanks!

Reactions: bstanton89
could you all recommend something that wouldn't break the bank but would last me several years?
Check out the recommended and commonly used tablets here.

Probably an iPad Pro 10.5". The iPad mini is running an overclocked A8 processor, but in the end that is still an old processor. This website compares the difference between the models, both in single and multi-core, and you can see the difference between an iPad mini 4 and the new iPad Pro with the A10X processor. It scores well over double on single core and almost 3.5x on multi-core. Even if you only want the iPad Pro 9.7 with the A9X, it's still significantly faster than the iPad Mini or iPad Air 2 on single cores. Ultimately, yes it does require you to change the mount bracket and it's more expensive, but the results speak for themselves: the iPad Pro with both the A9X and A10X are much, much faster than the iPad Mini 4, and that's going to allow it to last you longer, because it can easily handle more demanding tasks.

iOS Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

I went and got a used iPad Pro 9.7” and have been super happy. Plus it fits in the RC with no additional hardware. All the glitching and freezing went away from my mini 4. Now I’m just waiting for UPS to get it back to me since I lost it in Canada 2 weeks ago (yes a Good Samaritan turned it in to the Banff police... faith in humanity restored. No I didn’t fly in Banff National Park)

Reactions: dirkclod
I agree with u Nick , l have the 10.5 Pro and it is a very fast unit , but it’s big and heavy and nearly 3 times the price . I suppose it’s up to the individual , and how much they are prepared to spend .

How did u get it to fit ? I tried to get it to , but it’s just that bit too big , l pulled out the holder as far as it will go and no way was it going in there , not unless u removed the foam grips ? ...

I have no case on the 9.7 and I have one click left on the clamp. It clamps nicely and no the foam is still on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj