Scared to fly

dkatz42 said:
OI Photography said:
That's because the NAZA compensates to keep it level for you. Try that same thing in Manual mode and you'll see the difference. The left stick is definitely throttle, but like any control input in GPS mode it's more like "intelligent assisted throttle"
Technically, all of the controls are throttle, because they are all translated to relative motor speeds.

And there's nothing manual about "manual" mode--it's just a fly-by-wire mode with somewhat less computation thrown in than other modes. A truly manual mode would give you four throttle levers, one for each motor, and would be pretty impossible to fly.

In old-school airplane RC the left stick really was throttle--the receive channel drove a servo connected to the single engine, and in helos it is presumably collective pitch (which also is not throttle).

Functionally the left stick is more of a "go up/down" control; in manual mode "up" is defined as "away from the landing gear" whereas in the other modes it is relative to the earth.

Very true, and I don't mean to imply that manual mode is truly full manual control. The throttle-like net effect is what will be more pronounced in manual-ish mode :cool:

Pull_Up said:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/semantics

It's an RC quadcopter, let's not fall out over the proper name for the plastic whirring things on the top... :)

:evil: I was hoping that debate would continue to a conclusion, so I could then throw this monkey wrench in the works:
800px-V-22_Osprey_tiltrotor_aircraft.jpg

OI Photography said:
:evil: I was hoping that debate would continue to a conclusion, so I could then throw this monkey wrench in the works:
800px-V-22_Osprey_tiltrotor_aircraft.jpg

I'll ask my dad what he considers the whirley things to be. He was Chief of Propulsion Design for the V22. I let him fly my Phantom a few weeks ago - and he had a lot of trouble with the timid tip over on takeoff.

Well I got home and updated the firmware, apparently it wasn't the newest version and I went through the Advance calibration and recalibrated the transmitter and took it out with 9 satellites I hovered and it seemed to stay put I only did it for about 2 minutes because it's a little windy out and dark. If the weather is good tomorrow I will give it a better test. Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

Oh, I have a solution to the debate "Rotopellers" seem to be fit.. depending on your age, this would be considered a Sniglet :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TixwF_ywN4A

Jason

Pull_Up said:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/semantics

It's an RC quadcopter, let's not fall out over the proper name for the plastic whirring things on the top... :)

What's in a name? That which we call a twirly thing, by any other name, would still go round and round.

Hi Jason... Read about the P2V recently and have been researching. found this forum. wondered if you purchased your quad locally? I live in Cincinnati. Would be really cool to see the P2V in flight if I weren't imposing. Not sure how to message you on this forum. thanx... Bari

antiuze said:
Hi Jason... Read about the P2V recently and have been researching. found this forum. wondered if you purchased your quad locally? I live in Cincinnati. Would be really cool to see the P2V in flight if I weren't imposing. Not sure how to message you on this forum. thanx... Bari

PM'ed you

So guys I took out the P2V and it was very stable 10 sats so I took it up about 300 ft and I lost connection AGAIN! now here's the odd thing. Yesterday a buddy from the forum visited me and brought his P2V and he took off in the same spot and took it nearly 600+ feet with no problems. I have the newest firmware and everything was fully charged and the antenna was pointing at my head just as his was. So what could be causing this and any suggestions as to what I can do/try?

Thanks
Jason

What readings are you getting on your compass when your connected to the software?
Have you upgraded your TX? Is your usb on the inside or out on your TX?

upgraders said:
So guys I took out the P2V and it was very stable 10 sats so I took it up about 300 ft and I lost connection AGAIN! now here's the odd thing. Yesterday a buddy from the forum visited me and brought his P2V and he took off in the same spot and took it nearly 600+ feet with no problems. I have the newest firmware and everything was fully charged and the antenna was pointing at my head just as his was. So what could be causing this and any suggestions as to what I can do/try?

Thanks
Jason

Can you confirm you are in FCC mode (two beeps when you turn on the tx)? Did you get further than 300ft horizontally? Climbing straight up close to you is going to be where both sets of antennas are at their weakest. Your friend might have had aircraft antennas that are slightly horizontal (I know mine tend to "curl up" at the ends, I keep straightening them out now and then) - that would improve his overhead performance compared to yours. Nevertheless you should be able to do better than 300ft - if you can go more than that horizontally then that would eliminate a fundamental issue with tx or rx...

gbshovel said:
What readings are you getting on your compass when your connected to the software?
Have you upgraded your TX? Is your usb on the inside or out on your TX?

What readings? not sure what you mean. I see it and it is accurate up until it looses connection.

My TX has the USB on the inside and it is updated with the lasted firmware. You think I have an older style TX?

Pull_Up said:
Can you confirm you are in FCC mode (two beeps when you turn on the tx)? Did you get further than 300ft horizontally? Climbing straight up close to you is going to be where both sets of antennas are at their weakest. Your friend might have had aircraft antennas that are slightly horizontal (I know mine tend to "curl up" at the ends, I keep straightening them out now and then) - that would improve his overhead performance compared to yours. Nevertheless you should be able to do better than 300ft - if you can go more than that horizontally then that would eliminate a fundamental issue with tx or rx...

Yes I get two beeps, I went out again prior to replying and I took off about 50 feet away from where I was standing and I went up 200 ft and lost connection again! I have not tested horizontal but something is not right.

I am willing to dump as much $$$ to fix this so I can actually enjoy flying. Thank God for RTH else I would have lost it several times by now. On another note even at 100 ft or so, turning on and off the TX did not regain control I have to toggle the Switch on the right from top to bottom.

Thanks Guys for any input!

Jason

On your latter point, flicking the S1 switch is the way to regain control during RTH...

Go up to about 50/100ft and fly horizontally and see if the control signal drops after just a few hundred feet and initiates a RTH. If it does then as long as you haven't made any modifications then it's looking like you've got a bad transmitter or receiver out of the box. Unless there's something you've overlooked then it's probably time to call up your dealer/DJI to swap it out for a new one. Do the horizontal range check first, though...

Well after talking to DJI support (finally) and communicating with DroneFly (Where I bought it) I shipped my P2V back to them with a promise it would return working top notch. They suspect a bad transmitter.

I'll kept anyone following this thread an updated when I have it back

Thanks again for the suggestions, I think that saved a lot of time before contacting them.

Jason

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.