Scared to Fly

Reaction score
Hello all. I've had my P3P for 4 days now and have flown it twice without any issues. On my downtime I've been reading here on the forum to learn everything I can about the P3P. I've concluded that I've got the only working DJI drone! Now I'm afraid to fly because it may......crack, lose the FPV, have firmware issues, fly off on its own with no looking back, stall, lose its GPS signal, have battery lose power instantly, have battery not plugged in properly, have battery that's had too many charges, have battery not charged enough, have wrong app version, need iPad updated to iOS 9, no now iPad needs back to iOS 8, .......and the list is growing with every read! Maybe I'll leave it on the coffee table as a conversation piece. [emoji15]

Last edited:
Just fly the simulator mode your be fine. Real men (and women) explore (while reviewing the risks and acting sensibly to others) while push the boundaries of exploration.

Then crash it and cry for a month.

Your too worried for no reason.

I had a P3A which developed a crack, exchanged and upgraded to a P3P, I have over 90 flights and I can assure you I felt the way you did.

How did I overcome it?
Just thought its life, if its meant to happen to me then it will happen to me, I may end up being that 5% or so person that ends up losing their P3 but hey I love the hobby and am pretty sure I will buy another, so far what I gathered is 99% of the time it is pilot error, so long as you do your pre-flight checks you should be fine.

Just relax and don't worry too much, your supposed to enjoy the P3 not be scared of it lol

Mines never skipped a beat, on 63 flights now.. just fly and enjoy an use some common sense lol

Sometimes its the operator not the equipment.

504oHHvThObkKVO2hGaB_Weightlift%20Flip.gif

Reactions: Farmer
hehe.

Being a new pilot myself, I know your feelings. Yesterday I finally trusted my preflight checks and equipment enough to actually start testing the limits of what my P3 Pro can do. I flew it out 5394 feet with no issues. I posted the video on my other thread.

Hello all. I've had my P3P for 4 days now and have flown it twice without any issues. On my downtime I've been reading here on this forum to learn everything I can about the P3P. I've concluded that I've got the only working DJI drone! Now I'm afraid to fly because it may......crack, lose the FPV, have firmware issues, fly off on its own with no looking back, stall, lose its GPS signal, have battery lose power instantly, have battery not plugged in properly, have battery that's had too many charges, have battery not charged enough, have wrong app version, need iPad updated to iOS 9, no now iPad needs back to iOS 8, .......and the list is growing with every read! Maybe I'll leave it on the coffee table as a conservation piece. [emoji15]

Flying anything RC is a risk. There a saying about riding a motorcycle (It's not if you will crash it's when you will crash) everyone that flies RC has felt the pain.
Sincerely,
William E. Burrows Jr.

Maybe the problems are 90% pilot error! It's the 10% that's gambling with my $2G that's worrisome! [emoji45]

Hello all. I've had my P3P for 4 days now and have flown it twice without any issues. On my downtime I've been reading here on this forum to learn everything I can about the P3P. I've concluded that I've got the only working DJI drone! Now I'm afraid to fly because it may......crack, lose the FPV, have firmware issues, fly off on its own with no looking back, stall, lose its GPS signal, have battery lose power instantly, have battery not plugged in properly, have battery that's had too many charges, have battery not charged enough, have wrong app version, need iPad updated to iOS 9, no now iPad needs back to iOS 8, .......and the list is growing with every read! Maybe I'll leave it on the coffee table as a conservation piece. [emoji15]

I have to admit that i felt like that for some time.But then it hit me:
This forum is to just be prepaired for everything that may occur during a flight or before it.
For example I am glad that did not upgrade to ios 9.I read that here.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
i was in the same frame of mind as you, until i had a chat on here with D4T_PoM. but from my first flight i have had no problems what so ever on firmware 1.1.9. i started flying to a distance of 40m and just built up from there, i did a flight yesterday on the new 1.4 firmware to around 300m distance just incase i had problems with the firmware, no problems at all so i feel more confident in the upgrade now. i have now got about 22 flights in my log. get out there you are going to love it...

Reactions: D4T_PoM
Honestly...at times I still get the shivers, especially when I break my own long distant record (max out was 1.2 or so miles before chickening out), but recently due to bad weather I just been flying it in a local park/field and enjoying the P3, been doing laps and teaching my younger cousin brother how to fly the P3.

I always ensure I do a compass calibration when I'm at a new location (some would say only do a compass calibration 100 miles away, but I do it when I move to a new location from my last flight), so far there are only 2-3 places were I fly and I always make sure my MOD values are within acceptable values 1400-1600 (always reads near the 1500 mark).

Stealth, my advice is always ensure you do a thorough pre-flight check, I always do, it does not hurt to do it at all.

I get my family and friends asking why I take so long to take off and I just ignore them now loool (can't be arsed to explain) I carry on with my checks.

Good luck and tighten your belt as we all get knee shivers one point or another, be confident but don't be overly confident as when you are overly confident it can be a bad thing and you may start to panic lol.

P.S Make sure you set the rite fail safe RTH height as this is something everyone over looks, mine is set at 150m (don't ask why just a rounded number lol), again checking this is one of my pre-flight checks

Last edited:
Reactions: lotusteve
Honestly...at times I still get the shivers, especially when I break my own long distant record (max out was 1.2 or so miles before chickening out), but recently due to bad weather I just been flying it in a local park/field and enjoying the P3, been doing laps and teaching my younger cousin brother how to fly the P3.

I always ensure I do a compass calibration when I'm at a new location (some would say only do a compass calibration 100 miles away, but I do it when I move to a new location from my last flight), so far there are only 2-3 places were I fly and I always make sure my MOD values are within acceptable values 1400-1600 (always reads near the 1500 mark).

Stealth, my advice is always ensure you do a thorough pre-flight check, I always do, it does not hurt to do it at all.

I get my family and friends asking why I take so long to take off and I just ignore them now loool (can't be arsed to explain) I carry on with my checks.

Good luck and tighten your belt as we all get knee shivers one point or another, be confident but don't be overly confident as when you are overly confident it can be a bad thing and you may start to panic lol.

P.S Make sure you set the rite fail safe RTH height as this is something everyone over looks, mine is set at 150m (don't ask why just a rounded number lol), again checking this is one of my pre-flight checks
spot on advice..

I have confidence in my own abilities and flying knowledge but im losing confidence in DJI's abilities and knowledge according to my reads here! My last flight was 600M away and 100M up with no LOS to the drone just the ipad.

giphy.gif

precautions. just take precautions. Put a tracker on that son of a gun. Most of your worries will vanish and hopefully the drone wont. LOL

Last edited:
giphy.gif

precautions. just take precautions. Put a tracker on that son of a gun. Most of your worries will vanish and hopefully the drone wont. LOL

Yea saw that tracker thing on ebay. Will have to do a little research on it.

i was like that at first but now i just go for it!

i do my pre-flight check and i make sure i'm doing everything right.

i used to be scared to go out far but now i sometimes push the limits of my radio!

i've been a little over 15,000 feet out so far and i'm always a little (a lot actually) nervous being out that far especially when anything could happen that far away!

the one thing i do now that i never really paid much attention to in the beginning is the pre-flight checks and making sure the home point has been updated before takeoff.

as you fly, you'll learn a lot of DOs and DON'Ts as you go.

since you're just beginning, find yourself a giant field away from everything and get some practice and before you know it, you'll be over 300 flights like me! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl