Say GoodBye to Google Maps

Reaction score
It's all over the news that Apple wants to use Drones to help speed up the process of updating it's map system, and become to go-to option for maps.

This should explain why those of you that update to the most recent firmware no longer have Google Maps.

Apple considering drones to improve its Map service: Report

I don't think this is the reason for the change. Google charges for using its APIs, the more traffic the higher the cost. I suspect DJI found a cheaper source to include maps in Go.

Apple wants to run their own drones instead of mapping with cars.

How could you not see it happening when DJI is already not using google maps in GO4?

Technology war will continue to happen between tech giants Google and Apple. As a result maps services for us will improve. Third parties like DJI may switch to Apple or Google or to any third party based on the charges they forward to these giants. DJI switching to other service is on the move.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I recall years ago when I still was using an iPhone and Apple decided to scrap Google maps and replace them with their own. At first I was sceptical but decided to sleep on it before getting all too upset. Then.... Everywhere people were praising Apple for this decision. Millions of non-iphone users ran to the Apple store to get their iPhone so they too could enjoy the Apple Maps. Google maps was finished. The I woke up.... Not long after Google maps was once again available for my iPhone.

Just because Apple says they are going to do something doesn't mean they'll succeed.

Reactions: Drone_Trooper
Then there's Bing maps and they have better resolution then Google Earth with different pictures. Bing maps are worth taking a look at, there's an app called SAS Planet that lets you use maps from Bing, Google, Yahoo, etc... Much better than Google Earth or just having Google maps.

I highly doubt there will be drones used to map places..

I don't doubt it. They may not use them 100% but they'll use them in some situations.

Btw, with the DJI Air Craft now being available at Apple stores should also help with understanding the Apple Maps in DJI software instead of google maps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.