Saw someone crash, your thoughts?

Reaction score
I found a local group of guys flying their birds while we were visiting relatives. One had a Yuneec, 2 had P4's, and a P3A. Off to the side, further down the field, was a guy flying a beginner type QC and was left to himself. There was also some RC planes skirting around. I was just sitting back and didn't have mine at the time, but just watching them.

One of the guys wanted to be the center of attention with his P4, and was "showboating." He was about 100 feet up, flying backwards with the camera facing him. As he passed from his left to his right, and with the camera facing him to get that "fly away video," I noticed he was going faster, and his altitude was descending quickly. Then, it just went into the lawn dart mode and looked like a new gymnast trying do too many backflips, and tripping over an imaginary friend and it was scattering parts everywhere.

Everyone looked as he laid his controller down and he ran over to it. There was nothing to do because this thing was only good for a lawn ornament. He even got irked and kicked it a few more yards. The first thing he yells is; "F***ing DJI piece of crap!!!! They better replace this."

Here are my views was wondering your thoughts. And could I be correct in my assumptions, but I have a P3 and do not have P4, and are still learning to fly. I haven't done any modes like follow me, and will eventually, but I don't do anything stupid until I know I can handle it (if that makes sense.)

> Does the P4 have a CSC, like before when it will shut it down flying in reverse and descending?
> Do you encounter a lot of "showboaters?"
>I understand that DJI has customer service issues from what I have read. However, is it safe to assume that more often than not, many of the pilot error crashes are from doing something like what I saw? It was almost the moment he made it go into "tumble mode," he immediately blamed DJI for the crash.

Thanks...

Is it wrong that this made me laugh?

I didn't want to laugh out loud when I saw it, but honestly, I wanted to after I left the area. It went crunch, flip, turn, flip. rattle, tear apart, flip and flop. Then got kicked and cursed at. The funniest was there seemed to be a prop with just part of the blade busted off, maybe an inch, and you could hear it making a funny noise as it turned. Kind of a shrill thump.

I laughed also!

I'm new to Phantom flying, and having only ever owned cheap Syma quads in the past do have a little sympathy for the guy. They are huge investments. I guess the moral of the story is it's always best to weigh up the feelings you'll get from 'showboating' against those that you get from an oversized, £1000, muddy, plastic paperweight.

If you analyze human behavior under stress, the first reaction is to REJECT, and the next is FIGHT. These are the first two of the 5 known sequential behaviors. Nothing new, he just reacted normally. :)

If you analyze human behavior under stress, the first reaction is to REJECT, and the next is FIGHT. These are the first two of the 5 known sequential behaviors. Nothing new, he just reacted normally. :)
The amount of times I've tinkered with something only to find it broken... I know these reactions far too well :'-)

Am I the only ole than doesn't quite understand what caused the crash? He descended into the ground?

If so, why was he mad at DJI? Am I reading this right?

Am I the only ole than doesn't quite understand what caused the crash? He descended into the ground?

If so, why was he mad at DJI? Am I reading this right?
As I understand he was demoing his P4 and his skills to impress others standing there. He tried backward and downward by pulling both the sticks down. We don't know if it was CSC or uncontrollable maneuver. He crashed into the ground.

I laughed also!

I'm new to Phantom flying, and having only ever owned cheap Syma quads in the past do have a little sympathy for the guy. They are huge investments. I guess the moral of the story is it's always best to weigh up the feelings you'll get from 'showboating' against those that you get from an oversized, £1000, muddy, plastic paperweight.
Every time I fly my P3a I see a $1000 BILL flying around. It keeps me from doing dump ****.

Show boaters are everywhere doing everything. How many Youtube exist of sport car wrecks.

I've read about P4 having a descent problem, but I would feel surprised if he flew it into the ground. He probably blamed DJI out of his embarrassment for being reckless.

CSC is a show stopper. There's nothing worse than seeing your bird fall from the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Every time I fly my P3a I see a $1000 BILL flying around. It keeps me from doing dump ****.
exactly
unfortunately a lot of children and teenegers got something from parents and then they have no respect for these gifts
they'll understand only when they make money by their own and buy those things, then they'll have respect
I suppose the guy also got this Phantom from his parents, broke it and after this accident he returned home and maybe he will get Inspire, because Phantom is crap :D

Your mentioning that he was at 100ft and ended up burying it in the ground certainly sounds like he was inexperienced and just "showing off". i believe many of the crashes reported on this forum are in fact pilot error, not all, but many. My crash several weeks ago almost went unreported to DJI as I was going to chalk it up as an accident without filing a warranty claim. If it wasn't for some of the members on this forum making suggestions including posting flight log, I was just going to toss it and buy another. Now that a replacement, compliments of DJI is scheduled to arrive via FedEx this Wednesday, I realized DJI will stand behind its products when one fails to perform as intended.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bravo. As I always say, when I type "lol", I really never do, but three or more "HA"s and I am laughing. N1.

One definitely needs to know the value of the equipment but once you bought it, better enjoy, keep its cost miles away from your mind.

He should have "RTFM" again. . . ;-)

RedHotPoker

You sure it wasn't a girl with funny colored hair?

:)

Mike
Now that is some funny (dumb) ****.
1. flying in side a very small room
2. if your going to fly in a very small room put some props guards on
3. Not knowing how to shout it down
The only thing that could of or would of topped this is if her long hair got caught in the props.
And last Do you really what everyone to know you did it by posting it on the web. I may tell a few friends
" Boy did I screw up".

Reactions: CafeRacer

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20