Saw a fool flying a Phantom over a 4th of July parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hovering right over people and the parade. He was about an 1/8th of a mile away from me and I was going to go say something but he had disappeared by the time I made up my mind to do it. But the fool was about 15 ft above everyone. I wonder how many mishaps there were this weekend and will be. Some without doubt.

Reactions: Flintstone
Idiots will be idiots. No amount of posting on innernets forums or legislation will eliminate them.

Reactions: MaxLawrry and Zuzua
I bet not as many people burning themselves or causing injuries to others!
Chill out

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just a tad bit of General Discussion.

No, warren has a point
he shouldnt have been doing that. endangering himself is one thing, but endangering others is worse

Yes, He absolutely has a point. But, there are irresponsible people in all facets of life, every day! No matter what we say or do, it is not going to change their mentality. All we can do is to be responsible ourselves and take utmost precaution not to do damage to others. Having said that, the sheer nature of what we do can be dangerous to others, we can't all fly in uninhabitable places, we want to take pictures of interesting situations. Just ponder this scenario: you are on the beach, how many low flying planes that drag those big banners do you see?, How many jet skis, how many para gliders or something really innocent, like fishing from the shore line which can and does bring in the bigger fish, namely sharks to feed on the hooked fish. In my opinion any of the above mentioned activities where there are people have potential of causing harm to people. So why are we so outspoken about a person flying their quad where there are people, is it because for the most part there is no trust in consumer drone technology? Well what if that person has absolute trust in his equipment, just because we don't does not make it the truth! Here is a photo of my wife after having brushed against a neighbours Bush that is growing wildly over my back fence, we have on numerous times asked her to trim her crap so that it does not come over to our side, she refuses to do that, the hoa doesn't want to get involved and the police can't do anything. She had to be rushed to hospital as her throat was closing up and she couldn't breathe!! Now tell me if flying my p3 from my back yard is more dangerous than her plants?

390258f2d9b352e229044981b148bc14.jpg

Last edited:
Why are we so outspoken about someone flying their quad irresponsible? It's a forum about drones!!!! Bad deal on your wife, that would tick me off.

Yes, He absolutely has a point. But, there are irresponsible people in all facets of life, every day! No matter what we say or do, it is not going to change their mentality. All we can do is to be responsible ourselves and take utmost precaution not to do damage to others. Having said that, the sheer nature of what we do can be dangerous to others, we can't all fly in uninhabitable places, we want to take pictures of interesting situations. Just ponder this scenario: you are on the beach, how many low flying planes that drag those big banners do you see?, How many jet skis, how many para gliders or something really innocent, like fishing from the shore line which can and does bring in the bigger fish, namely sharks to feed on the hooked fish. In my opinion any of the above mentioned activities where there are people have potential of causing harm to people. So why are we so outspoken about a person flying their quad where there are people, is it because for the most part there is no trust in consumer drone technology? Well what if that person has absolute trust in his equipment, just because we don't does not make it the truth! Here is a photo of my wife after having brushed against a neighbours Bush that is growing wildly over my back fence, we have on numerous times asked her to trim her crap so that it does not come over to our side, she refuses to do that, the hoa doesn't want to get involved and the police can't do anything. She had to be rushed to hospital as her throat was closing up and she couldn't breathe!! Now tell me if flying my p3 from my back yard is more dangerous than her plants?

I have had the same problem in the past with one of my neighbors............this is what I used......Shop BAYER ADVANCED 32-fl oz Brush Killer RTS at Lowes.com

I don't have an HOA

Why are we so outspoken about someone flying their quad irresponsible? It's a forum about drones!!!! Bad deal on your wife, that would tick me off.

Thanks. Point is why are we so ready to jump down someone's throat for what we deem to be dangerous? Why are we so surprised that people would do irresponsible things with their drones? Why do we give these people so much time?
And lastly when did any of us thought for a second that the dude on his para gliders could loose control and take out a few people below, which believe it or not happens more often than we hear.

Btw, that picture of my wife is when she told me I couldn't fly my drone near her! Lol

Reactions: CafeRacer
Don't justify poor behavior by pointing out others' poor behavior. Time to be responsible and put your big boy pants on. (the neighbor's overgrown bush is a red herring)

Don't justify poor behavior by pointing out others' poor behavior. Time to be responsible and put your big boy pants on. (the neighbor's overgrown bush is a red herring)

In which part of my post do you see that I'm justifying poor behaviour?
And my big boy pants are well on, and as far as red herring, well you are just too obtuse to understand anything that I wrote.
It is obvious that you and I have no common ground here to have a respectful conversation, so have a nice day

Hey friend, no hard feelings. No need to get your panties in a wad. No disrespect intended.

"I bet not as many people burning themselves or causing injuries to others!" is your quote!

This type of thought process diminishes certain poor choices by highlighting quantity and/or severity of other poor choices.

flying low over crowds, burning yourself, allowing bushes to grow on neighbor property are all poor choices. Call it what it is.

Reactions: BigAl07 and Wrighty
I'm surprised a cop didn't tell him anything. I wanted to fly my drone at our regional park to catch a photo of the fireworks but my responsible brain told me. One something could go wrong with my drone (unlikely) because I trust it. Even if I position it indirectly from falling on someone's head. But two because I don't want a cop tapping my back telling me "sir you can't fly that here" even thought I'm following all the FAA basic guidelines and the rules for model aircraft operations which hobbyists fall into. So I can go into a debate with him. I'd rather save my breath and enjoy the show with my family.

Reactions: DronerLee
I'm surprised a cop didn't tell him anything. I wanted to fly my drone at our regional park to catch a photo of the fireworks but my responsible brain told me. One something could go wrong with my drone (unlikely) because I trust it. Even if I position it indirectly from falling on someone's head. But two because I don't want a cop tapping my back telling me "sir you can't fly that here" even thought I'm following all the FAA basic guidelines and the rules for model aircraft operations which hobbyists fall into. So I can go into a debate with him. I'd rather save my breath and enjoy the show with my family.

I fly from my house, 2 miles there take my videos and stills then head back.!

I flew mine near the parade but I did fly at 200 feet and was about a block away from the parade route in a hover. Never was over anyone. I even took off away from anyone to avoid contact while the public while operating. I actually launched from the law enforcement staging lot. Fire chief and local PD were at the lot getting ready. Was a very good experience. They did approach and asked a bunch of questions about the P3. They loved it. Also flew near the fireworks. Again, I live in an area that is pretty rural a ton of open area. I flew the Phantom over a 40 acre vacant lot that is not accessible to the public. Put it in a hover at about 200 feet. The actual viewers of the show were much closer. Video was nice could have been great if I had been a little more aggressive and planned a little bit better but again I felt that I was within the rules and flying safely.

Flame away.

You do have the right to cut whatever is growing over your property line.

You do have the right to cut whatever is growing over your property line.

I have been trying to be neighborly, but I think enough is enough now. I have been cutting them but they grow faster than I can cut. So I think I will hop over the fence and chain saw it all!!

I have found that people in general are stupid and annoying. So I live in a house in a planned community with HOA but I'm on 2 acres of land and my next door neighbor is hundreds of yards away from me.

As for the drone flying idiot, these are the same guys who fly to a forest fire. I'm not sure why common sense doesn't prevail...don't fly too low, don't fly where there are other aircraft, and don't disrupt a fireworks display.

Hovering right over people and the parade. He was about an 1/8th of a mile away from me and I was going to go say something but he had disappeared by the time I made up my mind to do it. But the fool was about 15 ft above everyone. I wonder how many mishaps there were this weekend and will be. Some without doubt.
What state was this in? I know a few people in my area who fly Phantoms who i talk to regularly and one in particular that just doesn't give a crap and has told me numerous times. He was planning to record a local parade and would likely be guilty of this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20