Saw a fool flying a Phantom over a 4th of July parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, He absolutely has a point. But, there are irresponsible people in all facets of life, every day! No matter what we say or do, it is not going to change their mentality. All we can do is to be responsible ourselves and take utmost precaution not to do damage to others. Having said that, the sheer nature of what we do can be dangerous to others, we can't all fly in uninhabitable places, we want to take pictures of interesting situations. Just ponder this scenario: you are on the beach, how many low flying planes that drag those big banners do you see?, How many jet skis, how many para gliders or something really innocent, like fishing from the shore line which can and does bring in the bigger fish, namely sharks to feed on the hooked fish. In my opinion any of the above mentioned activities where there are people have potential of causing harm to people. So why are we so outspoken about a person flying their quad where there are people, is it because for the most part there is no trust in consumer drone technology? Well what if that person has absolute trust in his equipment, just because we don't does not make it the truth! Here is a photo of my wife after having brushed against a neighbours Bush that is growing wildly over my back fence, we have on numerous times asked her to trim her crap so that it does not come over to our side, she refuses to do that, the hoa doesn't want to get involved and the police can't do anything. She had to be rushed to hospital as her throat was closing up and she couldn't breathe!! Now tell me if flying my p3 from my back yard is more dangerous than her plants?

390258f2d9b352e229044981b148bc14.jpg
If it is hanging over onto your property you have the right to take care of the problem. It is in your real estate contract. Or at least that is the case in South Carolina. Contact a realtor and they can prob tell you exactly in the contract it says that. Also they have stuff at lowes called ground clear. They make it in concentrate as well. Id go out there and just spray your fence for normal maintenance. Make sure some over spray catches the plant. After about 3 days it wont be a problem.

Reactions: Zuzua
What state are you in? Most states have fence laws; read yours, then complain to the PROPER authorities.... we did and ended up in Ohio supreme court making history with our win. Google ohio partician fence law kilroy and we are still at top of page.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was asked to get some shots at our local fireworks show. I kept on the outskirts of the show and got some cool pics. Didn't have to fly over any people

the dude on his para gliders could loose control and take out a few people below, which believe it or not happens more often than we hear.
l
You're right- I don't believe it.

Don't we have enough of our own business to pay attention to? We're not cops, we're not officials, we have the same freedom to disobey the guidelines as much as the next guy but we choose not to.

Why choose a confrontation? What results were you hoping for? The best would be a harsh exchange of words and both of the guys flipping each other off as they part. The worst is getting into a physical altercation. For what? Just to make sure someone knows you know he should follow the rules?

What state was this in? I know a few people in my area who fly Phantoms who i talk to regularly and one in particular that just doesn't give a crap and has told me numerous times. He was planning to record a local parade and would likely be guilty of this too.

He sounds guilty to me already too ! Sounds like you better investigate this more. The nerve of some people. Can you imagine some jackass trying to get video of a parade with his bird ? What's this world coming to ?

Yes, He absolutely has a point. But, there are irresponsible people in all facets of life, every day! No matter what we say or do, it is not going to change their mentality. All we can do is to be responsible ourselves and take utmost precaution not to do damage to others. Having said that, the sheer nature of what we do can be dangerous to others, we can't all fly in uninhabitable places, we want to take pictures of interesting situations. Just ponder this scenario: you are on the beach, how many low flying planes that drag those big banners do you see?, How many jet skis, how many para gliders or something really innocent, like fishing from the shore line which can and does bring in the bigger fish, namely sharks to feed on the hooked fish. In my opinion any of the above mentioned activities where there are people have potential of causing harm to people. So why are we so outspoken about a person flying their quad where there are people, is it because for the most part there is no trust in consumer drone technology? Well what if that person has absolute trust in his equipment, just because we don't does not make it the truth! Here is a photo of my wife after having brushed against a neighbours Bush that is growing wildly over my back fence, we have on numerous times asked her to trim her crap so that it does not come over to our side, she refuses to do that, the hoa doesn't want to get involved and the police can't do anything. She had to be rushed to hospital as her throat was closing up and she couldn't breathe!! Now tell me if flying my p3 from my back yard is more dangerous than her plants?

So what is the actual point in debate here. Whether there are some that are not considerate of other. That's a given. People will follow good advice and act accordingly just like a set of numbers follow the normal curve. Most people will act responsibly. A predictable portion will not. As for that bush, spray weed killer on it, on the part that protrudes over fence. Legally, your good.

I like to fly my Phantom Pro at the Port. I like to follow them(Ships) out of port. I make a point to fly around them, over them as little as possible. One last point. In Miami. The city has passed an ordinance saying that you cannot fly over large gatherings of people. They further went on to say that they would introduce a licensing procedure for people who have professional need to fly over crowds. They passed the ordinance to ban flying over large crowds, I've never heard anything else about a licensing program for people who wish professional permission.

The Bottom Line - Get insurance and get registered and Enjoy the best Hobby in the world. There's always time for worry after the fact.

Miami Drone Flights

Small_MDF_Logo_for_Blog_Posts.png

YouTube: Miami Drone Flights

Last edited:
I agree with everybody! :)

1. You shouldn't fly over people. It's dangerous and we should do everything we can to discourage that within our community.

2. While we in the hobby should be obsessed with safety, the fact is that it has proved to be a remarkably safe hobby, and the public reaction is hysterical. About 30 people die every year in this country in personal watercraft injuries. Hundreds are seriously injured in recreational ATV accidents. To date, I don't believe an American has been seriously injured by a drone (a toddler in the UK lost an eye when his dad's drone went bonkers in the back yard).

What state was this in? I know a few people in my area who fly Phantoms who i talk to regularly and one in particular that just doesn't give a crap and has told me numerous times. He was planning to record a local parade and would likely be guilty of this too.
Dob them in. I do. I dob everyone in that doesn't follow the rules or does work without a license.

No, warren has a point
he shouldnt have been doing that. endangering himself is one thing, but endangering others is worse

I agree 100%. That is the only reason the government thinks they need to put control on drones.

It's not the drone 90% of the time in videos. It's a pilot/operater doing something stupid.

To report in some country's . Here to me it's date of birth .
In his sentence I would think it's ..to report .
Might be wrong .

Hovering right over people and the parade. He was about an 1/8th of a mile away from me and I was going to go say something but he had disappeared by the time I made up my mind to do it. But the fool was about 15 ft above everyone. I wonder how many mishaps there were this weekend and will be. Some without doubt.

Does anyone know who to ask and what sort of permissions would be required to do that sort of flyover as a hobbyist?

Sorry that you wife had problems breathing. Some people are algeric to certain things. They can't help it, and it can become life threatening. With the ofenstive plant hanging over in your yard, here is what I might do. Spray the plant that is on your side of the fence with "weed-be-gone" or some other plant killer. It will dry up and blow away within several weeks. If it is not on your side of the fence, then don't spray it. Communication first, then action if it is still required.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20