Satellites ?

Solar activity has a huge influence on gps reception. Higher solar activity (Solar Flares) decreases the gps signal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's true, this solar acitivity indicator Kp is also given by app UAV FORECAST (UAV Forecast).

Experienced pilots claim that the Kp index has no effect on real-life drone flying.

Experienced pilots claim that the Kp index has no effect on real-life drone flying.
Yes, drown flies, whatever is the Kp index, at least at start.

From Impacts of Strong Solar Flares
Solar flares can temporarily alter the upper atmosphere creating disruptions with signal transmission from, say, a GPS satellite to Earth causing it to be off by many yards. Another phenomenon produced by the sun could be even more disruptive.

From NOAA:
NOAA Space Weather Scales | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

In the radio blackout section, you can see the average frequency and what it can impact. If a drone use radio link and GPS, it will be affected, not everyday that's clear. But the day where the drone will be at some distance, not that much satellites in view and a high solar activity start ...

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Doesn't matter if experienced pilot. Get a strong enough CME Coronal Mass Ejection it can disrupt satellites, radio communication and knock out power.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree. I'm just saying that the veteran pilots who have been flying drones for years and have thousands of posts on this site report that they've never experienced a problem related with the kp index, solar flares, sun bursts, yada yada yada. Take it for what it's worth.

Reactions: N017RW
These phantoms track GPS, which is based in the US , and GLONASS, which is based in Russia. So you get great satellite reception all the time. Having GLONASS basically doubles the amount of satellites your device is capable of connecting with. There is also Beiduo run by the Chinese and Galileo which is run by the Europeans. So there are more satellites out there to have a higher satellite count if you have the equipment capable of tracking those other systems.

If you want to know what the satellite coverage is for your specific area you can use GNSS Planning Online

Look up PDOP. The lower the PDOP the better ( better satellite coverage). The link above you can input your coordinate location and also select what satellite systems you want it to factor in. It will even tell you where the satellites are in the sky. The best is to have satellites directly overhead. You don't want to use satellites that are close to the horizon. The ionosphere tends to mess up signals.

All this info is really overkill for us drone flyers. I can't think of any time you'd ever not have more than enough satellite counts using GPS and GLONASS

You don't connect to a satellite, you only receive its signal (or you dont). Its one way communication, like your FM radio.
The Phantom does neither Beiduo nor Galileo (nor IRNSS). Not a big loss for now, as none of these systems are truly operational.

As for "never having enough satellites"; thats easy, especially when you are flying low. Or when there is a large enough source of interference around the 1.2GHz band. Anyone who's ever flown long range RC with 1.3 GHz video transmitters, or with EM noisy FPV camera's (hs1117 and mobius, Im looking at you) knows this can be a real problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl