satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

My first 2+ was just perfect until I crashed and damaged my camera, my stupid moment.
It didn't have any issue with GPS dropsouts, also it wasn't on the latest firmware or version number.
It flew great.. 30 plus flights logged.

So I decided to buy a new vision 2+ and right out of the box on it's first Maiden flight, I immediately noticed it lost GPS from 6-7 to 2-3 when I hit the record button..and started to drift away.

Pretty lame DJI. Boooooooooooooh

I might switch out the top half where the GPS is mounted with the old one and see if it makes a difference and then I'll try the aluminum tape mod.

I also just won a bid on a new camera and will test the old Vision 2+ once I put it back together.

This needs to be sorted asap even a firmware upgrade to all 3/4 sats to get you home. .

Some bags also available at Maplins starting at £1 to about £1.49 so hardly going to break the bank :)

I just thought I'd add my experience... I flew my new Vision one time to confirm it worked. I checked the effect of turning on recording and it did indeed drop satellite count, from 8 to 6 i believe. Did the fix using aluminum tape purchased at home depot covered by packing tape for electrical insulation. Worked perfect. See 11 sats usually, and no dropout with video.

Attachments

• IMAG2493.jpg
    IMAG2493.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 307
So i bought my 2nd bird today (returning the other to amazon) and immediately seeing 7 satellites , getting 8 right after takeoff... Most nights i would only get 6 if i was lucky.
No mods yet.. ALso, didnt notice any dropout of satellites when I started recording.
so initial feeling is the new one is solid.. Ill test the satellites throughout the day tomorrow like i have in the past.

Doing some tests..

I removed the camera from the new Bird that is having problems locking on to GPS 2-3,4.. sometimes 6..
and it locked on Green lights pretty quickly, no Green, Reds from this one spot I've been testing from.. it flew great. I couldn't tell how many satellites but it was obvious on how quick it locked on to GPS..
Might be something to do with the camera and gimbal.

Im going to mount this suspect camera on my old vision 2+ (camera damaged) and see if it starts acting funny.
The old vision 2+ was so good, so fine.. before I broke the camera with a small crash..

I also have another camera on the way, and will try that on both Birds..

This is so lame, wasting my time, my money.. I should be flying more..

Ok tried the antiststic bag on top of the camera and it never realy made much difference at one stage my sat count went from 9 to 3 :twisted: , what i did realise is that if you drop the resolution down it does not drop so many sats out and at the lowest it does not move at all .But thats not what people want to film in .I am going to line the inside with copper now and see what happens .I aint holding my breath with this issue Dji need to step up to the plate with this one .I was in two minds when i bought my P2V+ as i already have a go pro but now i wish i had bought the P2 and fitted after market video set up.

Onezerosix141 said:
I wonder if gimbal electronics is causing some people's EMI issue.
Not so much the gimbal because when i tried it i never moved the camera i only switched on the video and the higher the resolution you select the worse the sat drop out is :twisted: .

It's the camera. My möbius cam on my 450 put out rf noise , some gopros are the same. Look it up , some cameras are worse than others.

Onezerosix141 said:
I've been thinking about covering the botton interior of my p2v+ with copper tape. Or alu duct tape
This might help but its a lot of work to strip down the insides .I would be tempted to cover the outside first just to see if it did indeed help .Mori55 i think is correct its the camera well it is in my case the higher resolution i select the worse it gets i might try and make an enclosed cover for the camera with out it effecting the gimbal .

My mates Phantom only seemed to develope this issue after a firmware update.
When he first got it it was rock solid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel