Sand or Asphalt?

LarBear,
Not to get off topic but, how do you like the Neewer filters? I just picked up a set based on several recommendations. Do they create any problems for camera operation?
I don't use them as often as I should, but very little of my video is for more than just playback for my own astonishment! I like them a lot for what they do. The variable works good, especially if you want to bring down the exposure to slow down your shutter speed.

If there is a dirt spot hard enough, you may use that so sand/dirt is less likely to get in the motors. However, the best area to do it would be on asphalt, provided there are no electrical wires or rebar/steel beneath the surface. You can use the sand if you have a landing pad(something like cardboard, wood etc.etc.
Asphalt is pretty safe. It's the cement you have to be concerned about rebar or electrical. Sidewalks often have power or signal cabling beneath, and large cement slabs often have rebar webbing for support whereas asphalt requires no re-enforcement and applying and sealing asphalt requires more protection from the paving equipment of the electrical, data, etc. How often have you seen rebar or electrical cable showing up in large potholes or cracks in asphalt?

Reactions: LarBear360
My main concern is debris getting in the gimbal. The propellers keep stuff out of the motors and cooling slots on the shells and filters are good at protecting the lens, but there is nothing keeping sand and dirt out of the little joints in the gimbal. I fly in the desert but I try to find mostly rocky areas from witch to launch and always hand catch.

Asphalt will not have rebar. If it's an asphalt overlay on top of an existing concrete surface then it might.

I haven't tried a hand launch, but in the messy ground areas I will do a hand catch instead of landing. For launch I can pinpoint the perfect spot to take off from which might include setting the drone on its case first.

I would suggest landing and taking off from an asphalt parking lot because they DO NOT install rebar in asphalt. Only cement requires the use of rebar to help strengthen it when contracting and expanding.

Bud

If there is a dirt spot hard enough, you may use that so sand/dirt is less likely to get in the motors. However, the best area to do it would be on asphalt, provided there are no electrical wires or rebar/steel beneath the surface. You can use the sand if you have a landing pad(something like cardboard, wood etc.etc.

Reactions: LarBear360

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4