Sand Key Park - Clearwater, FL

Thanks for the info!

I didn't see that posted anywhere in the park, nor on the park's website.

Yep - I've never seen it posted in any State, County, or City park - but the vast majority of them prohibit takeoff/operation/landing from the park.

Clearwater's regulation provides an exception for those with written authorization - perhaps you might try to obtain same?

Hey guys I the state of Florida passed a new law that seems to nullify any city or county ordnance.
What do you all think?

The 2017 Florida Statutes

330.41 Unmanned Aircraft Systems Act.— ( effective July 1, 2017 )

(3) REGULATION.—

(a) The authority to regulate the operation of unmanned aircraft systems is vested in the state except as provided in federal regulations,

authorizations, or exemptions.
(b) Except as otherwise expressly provided, a political subdivision may not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution relating to the design, manufacture, testing, maintenance, licensing, registration, certification, or operation of an unmanned aircraft system, including airspace, altitude, flight paths, equipment or technology requirements; the purpose of operations; and pilot, operator, or observer qualifications, training, and certification.

(c) This subsection does not limit the authority of a local government to enact or enforce local ordinances relating to nuisances, voyeurism, harassment, reckless endangerment, property damage, or other illegal acts arising from the use of unmanned aircraft systems if such laws or ordinances are not specifically related to the use of an unmanned aircraft system for those illegal acts.

Pinellas County, FL Code of Ordinances

Sec. 90-7. - Activities within county-owned or managed lands.

(q) Aircraft. No person operating, directing, or responsible for any airplane, helicopter, drone, glider, hang glider, hot air balloon, dirigible, parachute or other aerial apparatus, including those radio controlled or otherwise unmanned, shall take off from or land in or on any county- owned or managed land, except for purposes of public safety or where written permission has been obtained from the administrator or designee.

I'd be interested in having that cleared up. I was flying my Mavic in the park in downtown Tampa by the river and was told all city parks were a no-fly zone. They were concerned about lawsuits. I just finished my 1st battery, it was evening so I said OK and packed up. I'd like to politely ask for the regs or counter with overriding statutes. After all officials can be wrong.
I was told out of the university was another matter but I bet I'll get slack there too.

Hey guys I the state of Florida passed a new law that seems to nullify any city or county ordnance.
What do you all think?

The 2017 Florida Statutes

330.41 Unmanned Aircraft Systems Act.— ( effective July 1, 2017 )

(3) REGULATION.—

(a) The authority to regulate the operation of unmanned aircraft systems is vested in the state except as provided in federal regulations,

authorizations, or exemptions.
(b) Except as otherwise expressly provided, a political subdivision may not enact or enforce an ordinance or resolution relating to the design, manufacture, testing, maintenance, licensing, registration, certification, or operation of an unmanned aircraft system, including airspace, altitude, flight paths, equipment or technology requirements; the purpose of operations; and pilot, operator, or observer qualifications, training, and certification.

(c) This subsection does not limit the authority of a local government to enact or enforce local ordinances relating to nuisances, voyeurism, harassment, reckless endangerment, property damage, or other illegal acts arising from the use of unmanned aircraft systems if such laws or ordinances are not specifically related to the use of an unmanned aircraft system for those illegal acts.

Pinellas County, FL Code of Ordinances

Sec. 90-7. - Activities within county-owned or managed lands.

(q) Aircraft. No person operating, directing, or responsible for any airplane, helicopter, drone, glider, hang glider, hot air balloon, dirigible, parachute or other aerial apparatus, including those radio controlled or otherwise unmanned, shall take off from or land in or on any county- owned or managed land, except for purposes of public safety or where written permission has been obtained from the administrator or designee.
I have been told the County only has jurisdiction up to the high water mark on beach parks. This means it’s legal to fly a drone from the beach on a receding tide? Has anybody else heard of that??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj