Sad to let go, but I have to

I've got this phantom for the past two months and only got one spot to fly it, on Saturday that becomes zero. A park ranger stopped me from flying because the county hasn't decided on the rules yet, this is only spot I know around 08902, if I can't fly there, where else will I go? Cops has met me at that same spot flying without any issues, Just compliments. Maybe someone here knows the laws for north Brunswick, NJ ? Or it'll be be going to CL. I just flew in Round Valley Reservoir yesterday with no problems. I don't think its too far from you. Try that area if you're close.

297b2e016222de4efd1638cd3c45ddf2.jpg
5dc869d24390dbfdacbf1a4cb6156617.jpg

Have you tried Round Valley Reservoir? Not too far from you and some nice views. Just flew there yesterday and had no problems with authorities. Good luck.

Don't give up. The Park Ranger enforces laws. If there is no law, how can you be breaking it? I would go there again, and see what happens. If he shows up, ask what law he can site you for, because you are trying to follow the law. Is he?

Unfortunately Middlesex County did pass a resolution (basically a county law) regulating the use of drones in county parks, i posted it three comments up from yours. Be careful flying there without knowing the designated times and areas you're allowed to fly in. If the ranger gives you a ticket, you'd most likely have to appear in court and it could cost you a few hundred dollars. It is a rare occurrence that county park rangers do issue tickets in NJ, their quasi law enforcement, but it can happen. Now the NJ state parks have their own police department so steer clear of those.

Unfortunately Middlesex County did pass a resolution (basically a county law) regulating the use of drones in county parks, i posted it three comments up from yours. Be careful flying there without knowing the designated times and areas you're allowed to fly in. If the ranger gives you a ticket, you'd most likely have to appear in court and it could cost you a few hundred dollars. It is a rare occurrence that county park rangers do issue tickets in NJ, their quasi law enforcement, but it can happen. Now the NJ state parks have their own police department so steer clear of those.
And oddly, I thought the USA was that land of the free.... sheesh, you have more bylaws and people enforcing them than the UK!

Reactions: mapwd1702
And oddly, I thought the USA was that land of the free.... sheesh, you have more bylaws and people enforcing them than the UK!
The Northeast/New England area of the US is *** to elbow packed with people. The further West you move you the more spread out we get. I fly where I like most times here in Texas, using common sense of course.

Reactions: Numone
I've got this phantom for the past two months and only got one spot to fly it, on Saturday that becomes zero. A park ranger stopped me from flying because the county hasn't decided on the rules yet, this is only spot I know around 08902, if I can't fly there, where else will I go? Cops has met me at that same spot flying without any issues, Just compliments. Maybe someone here knows the laws for north Brunswick, NJ ? Or it'll be be going to CL.

If a law is not on the books there is no legal enforcement for what the park ranger said to you. The folks that are charged with keeping us safe sometimes become overzealous about their personal opinion against what is actually the law. I would've asked the officer to ask his supervisor to come out since he was asking you to stop something that was not prohibited by law. I if a judge has not issued a temporary injunction to stop drone flying until it is reviewed it is still legal to fly where you are sir

Don't fly from where the rangers go, learn their habits. You wont even have to talk to him/her let alone worry about arguing over a ticket if they don't know you are here. I rarely see another person at my home point regardless of where I'm flying.

Yes definitely in north Brunswick there's a few places by Dunham , there's a dog park in that area by the field. There's always people there flying, haven't seen anyone get bothered yet. Also in Monroe there's a few big area fields that are wide open .

Keep it and wait em' out.
Illegtimi non carborundum..."don't let the bastards wear you down"

Have you tried Round Valley Reservoir? Not too far from you and some nice views. Just flew there yesterday and had no problems with authorities. Good luck.

I will definitely check that out! Thanks for this tip.

Last edited:
From your avatar, you're black.

Was the ranger white? Are you "droning while black"?

If so, raise a stink ... (downside of that is that they might consider an ordinance once the issue is raised).

From your avatar, you're black.

Was the ranger white? Are you "droning while black"?

If so, raise a stink ... (downside of that is that they might consider an ordinance once the issue is raised).

If you read the entire thread you would have noticed that the county has already passed a resolution ( an ordinance at the county level), i posted it on page one of this thread. It regulaties drone usage in county parks to times and areas specified by the county Director of Parks. Kezmo, be careful, you are getting quite a bit of bad advice. I dont want to see you get cited for flying in an area that is not specified as ok. Its really not worth the fine or time wasted in court if they decided to write the ticket.

Kezmo, based on the beauty of the images you posted, it would be a shame to give up this medium so soon. I agree with those who encourage you to contact the county and learn what ordinances apply. Often there are ways to fly within the scope of what the ordinances allow. An open and respectful discussion with county and park authorities should bring these into the light. Since they don't own the airspace, I would ask about taking off and landing outside of the park.

If you read the entire thread you would have noticed that the county has already passed a resolution ( an ordinance at the county level), i posted it on page one of this thread. It regulaties drone usage in county parks to times and areas specified by the county Director of Parks. Kezmo, be careful, you are getting quite a bit of bad advice. I dont want to see you get cited for flying in an area that is not specified as ok. Its really not worth the fine or time wasted in court if they decided to write the ticket.

I guess I missed it or was misled by the OP's statement about what the ranger said seemed to be future tense.

Ah, I see what it is. He's talking about Brunswick and you're talking about Middlesex. Not like I'm going to see if tab-A fits in slot-B.

I went to a fai semi finials back in the mid 60 at round vally.resavor.
this was before it was filled with water.
pretty big place.

Hello, have been following for a while, but first time commenting. I am an active law enforcement officer and ran into a similar issue while on spring break with my family in Florida last week. I was in Naples Florida, Collier County. I would wake up before sunrise and drive to the beach to fly right after sunset while no one was on the beach. I did this everyday and was curious about any rules or laws, so while at the beach later in the day, I ran into a park ranger and asked him about flying drones at the beach . He immediately answered no, not over the beach, not in the beach and not over the water. I had done a little research before going to Florida, but what he told me did not make any sense, according to the FAA. I did not argue with him but I felt I needed to find out a true answer as some law enforcement give answers without having any knowledge, just repeating what others had told them. I called the Collier code enforcement and they stated they didn't know of any. I then called the sheriffs department and they stated that they didn't know of any, but would connect me with their aerial unit. I left a message with the aerial unit officer about what I was inquiring about. About 8 pm, an awesome officer called me back and stated that he spoke to the supervisor in their drone unit and was told that the Collier county park, I.E. Beach, you cannot fly from park property only. He said it was ok to fly over, as FAA controls the sky's. He stated that if I fly from a public or private place, I was fine. But in doing so, I had to abide by FAA drone rules. (Register drone, line of sight, 5mile radius of airport) the usual. Also have registration numbers accessible without using a screwdriver. Now this is for a place that does not have a CITY ordinance, but if the park ranger says there's one for the parks, fly from outside the park. If I am ever confronted by any law enforcement officer in any aspect in my day to day and I am told I did something wrong, I always ask, what is the IC code or ordnance number I violated, so I can research with the numbers they give me, most of the time they are telling you something that's not true, just what they were told, because they know most people are law abiding people and will take them at there word.
So if the ordinance was from a park ranger and there's no city or county ordinance you could probably fly from the sidewalk outside the park. (Disclaimer, I am not an attorney and not giving any legal advise, just my experience.

I've got this phantom for the past two months and only got one spot to fly it, on Saturday that becomes zero. A park ranger stopped me from flying because the county hasn't decided on the rules yet, this is only spot I know around 08902, if I can't fly there, where else will I go? Cops has met me at that same spot flying without any issues, Just compliments. Maybe someone here knows the laws for north Brunswick, NJ ? Or it'll be be going to CL.
Nice kit

Kezmo, be careful, you are getting quite a bit of bad advice. I dont want to see you get cited for flying in an area that is not specified as ok. Its really not worth the fine or time wasted in court if they decided to write the ticket.

This posting started because I'm cautious, I follow the rules, I have common sense, so I will not take any bad advice here. I do photography professionally and always made sure I obtain permits before I take my bridal party to any park for photography. It's just that there's an automatic bias against drones due to some isolated incidents and the general public is ok with all these laws.

Reactions: cneedelman

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT