Sad to let go, but I have to

Reaction score
I've got this phantom for the past two months and only got one spot to fly it, on Saturday that becomes zero. A park ranger stopped me from flying because the county hasn't decided on the rules yet, this is only spot I know around 08902, if I can't fly there, where else will I go? Cops has met me at that same spot flying without any issues, Just compliments. Maybe someone here knows the laws for north Brunswick, NJ ? Or it'll be be going to CL.
297b2e016222de4efd1638cd3c45ddf2.jpg
5dc869d24390dbfdacbf1a4cb6156617.jpg

If the county 'hasn't decided on the rules yet' and there is no existing written law or rule he can reference preventing you from flying then it is not illegal. It is not the ranger's personal decision to make and I would escalate this up the chain.

Last edited:
If the county 'hasn't decided on the rules yet' and there is no written law or rule he can reference from preventing you from flying then it is not illegal. It is not the ranger's personal decision to make and I would escalate this up the chain,
Yup, makes total sense. And please don't give up that easily; you could move out of that area? Let's face it In your country, you only have like a billion locations to choose...

Reactions: Dejan Smaic
So if you're letting go, how much?

If the county 'hasn't decided on the rules yet' and there is no existing written law or rule he can reference preventing you from flying then it is not illegal. It is not the ranger's personal decision to make and I would escalate this up the chain.

I just had the gut feeling that he was acting out of his personal decision, because when he stopped me from flying, I asked him since when it was prohibited to fly at that location, he then started blabbing about them waiting on the FAA for whatever I don't understand. I didn't want to argue, so I just packed my stuff and left.

So if you're letting go, how much?

I have to check... Do you have an offer?
There's a 4GLTE iPad mini, 3 hoods for all devices, signal booster, koozam harness, and a beautiful carrying case worth $200.
Maybe I'll get the Osmo Pro/Raw.

Last edited:
This is the AMA website Academy of Model Aeronautics - AMA Charter Club Search. You can put in your zip code and it will give you a list of flying fields within a 25 mile radius. I checked quick and it looked like there were some in your area. I just believe you have to sign up for a membership for $75.00 to use the fields. These are the first 3 that popped up.

442-480 Dunhams Corner Rd, East Brunswick, NJ 08816
300 Old Georges Rd, North Brunswick Township, NJ 08902
386-400 Grove Ave, Metuchen, NJ 08840

I also live in NJ, Red Bank area, and so far haven't had any issues with the local police or park rangers. I retired as a police officer last year. In my 25 years I've attended numerous legal update courses and have never once heard of any type of NJ statute or law regarding the use of a drone. You could always contact the county and ask if there are any resolutions that prohibit the use of UAV's in the county parks. Absent that, as long as you're following the FAA guidlines, being safe and not flying over anyone in the park I don't see the issue. Maybe, if there is no county resolution or municipal ordinance prohibiting their use, print out a copy of the FAA guidelines and speak with the ranger (in a non argumentative way) and showthem to him. If you get nowhere with him, move on to his supervisor. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out.

Reactions: Strannik
I have to check... Do you have an offer?
There's a 4GLTE iPad mini, 3 hoods for all devices, signal booster, koozam harness, and a beautiful carrying case worth $200.
Maybe I'll get the Osmo Pro/Raw.
Is that a P4P? Don't need and ipad. What's the signal booster?

This is the AMA website Academy of Model Aeronautics - AMA Charter Club Search. You can put in your zip code and it will give you a list of flying fields within a 25 mile radius. I checked quick and it looked like there were some in your area. I just believe you have to sign up for a membership for $75.00 to use the fields. These are the first 3 that popped up.

I also live in NJ, Red Bank area, and so far haven't had any issues with the local police or park rangers. I retired as a police officer last year. In my 25 years I've attended numerous legal update courses and have never once heard of any type of NJ statute or law regarding the use of a drone. You could always contact the county and ask if there are any resolutions that prohibit the use of UAV's in the county parks. Absent that, as long as you're following the FAA guidlines, being safe and not flying over anyone in the park I don't see the issue. Maybe, if there is no county resolution or municipal ordinance prohibiting their use, print out a copy of the FAA guidelines and speak with the ranger (in a non argumentative way) and showthem to him. If you get nowhere with him, move on to his supervisor. Hope this helps, let me know how you make out.

Thanks for this detailed information, I really appreciate it. The three locations you listed, are very close to me, I'll look into those. I mainly choose that spot based on it's isolation, just me and the lake, I always follow the FAA guidelines, I don't do risky stuff, I love capturing Sunset/Sunrise.

Reactions: pomonabill220
I just had the gut feeling that he was acting out of his personal decision, because when he stopped me from flying, I asked him since when it was prohibited to fly at that location, he then started blabbing about them waiting on the FAA for whatever I don't understand. I didn't want to argue, so I just packed my stuff and left.
I'd be looking for advice from someone that knows what they are talking about.
From what you said, there's no indication your ranger is that person.
The county hasn't decided on the rules yet is very different from .. the county has ruled that flying is not allowed.
And county rules about whether flying is allowed in their parks has nothing to do with the FAA.

I am not too far from you, Woodbridge. Do not sell! I am kinda in the same boat as you and I refuse to give up my search for that ultimate site!

That's great, you're very close to me. Oh well, let me know if you discover any place and I will too.

And county rules about whether flying is allowed in their parks has nothing to do with the FAA.

Agreed, hence the reason i suggested he contact the county and municipality to see if they have passed a resolution (county) or municipal ordinance (municipality) prohibiting it.

Agreed, hence the reason i suggested he contact the county and municipality to see if they have passed a resolution (county) or municipal ordinance (municipality) prohibiting it.

I will contact the county and municipality tomorrow.

I've got this phantom for the past two months and only got one spot to fly it, on Saturday that becomes zero. A park ranger stopped me from flying because the county hasn't decided on the rules yet, this is only spot I know around 08902, if I can't fly there, where else will I go? Cops has met me at that same spot flying without any issues, Just compliments. Maybe someone here knows the laws for north Brunswick, NJ ? Or it'll be be going to CL.
297b2e016222de4efd1638cd3c45ddf2.jpg
5dc869d24390dbfdacbf1a4cb6156617.jpg
Yes stick it out :):):)

Reactions: pomonabill220
I will contact the county and municipality tomorrow.

I did a Google search of Middlesex County resolutions and found that they did in fact pass a resolution regulating drone usage in county owned parks:

X. RESTRICTED USES AND AREAS

1. .............

2. No person shall coast with hand sleds, bobs, carts, skateboards or other vehicles or wheels or runners or use radio controlled devices such as, but not limited to, boats, remotely piloted aircraft, model airplanes, drones and cars except in areas and during times designated and posted for this purpose by the Director of County Parks and Recreation.

It's on Page 5 section X.2

http://www.middlesexcountynj.gov/Go...ns for the Office of Parks and Recreation.pdf

So the next question is what are the designated times and areas. Apparently the Park Ranger needs to brush up on his county resolutions. So I would call the office of the Director of County parks to get this information.

yes
in order to fly at an ama flying field you must be a member of ama.
this will cost you 78.00 a year to join than you have to join the club that has the field that you want to fly at.
there will be a fee to join this club too.
some model airplane clubs do not welcome drone flyers with open arms.
with that said I just go out to the field and fly my p4p anyway.
they will get over it.

Reactions: PhantomEvan
yes
in order to fly at an ama flying field you must be a member of ama.
this will cost you 78.00 a year to join than you have to join the club that has the field that you want to fly at.
there will be a fee to join this club too.
some model airplane clubs do not welcome drone flyers with open arms.
with that said I just go out to the field and fly my p4p anyway.
they will get over it.
I just kinda fly wherever I feel like, lol

Reactions: Terminator X
Thanks for this detailed information, I really appreciate it. The three locations you listed, are very close to me, I'll look into those. I mainly choose that spot based on it's isolation, just me and the lake, I always follow the FAA guidelines, I don't do risky stuff, I love capturing Sunset/Sunrise.
Don't give up. The Park Ranger enforces laws. If there is no law, how can you be breaking it? I would go there again, and see what happens. If he shows up, ask what law he can site you for, because you are trying to follow the law. Is he?

Reactions: belmontncguy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20