S 800 EVO VS S1000

Reaction score
I currently own a 350 QX and a Phantom Vision. I have enjoyed both very much. I have been looking at either the S1000 or the S800 EVO with longing eyes. As my wife just uttered those magic words, "why don't you just go ahead and get it", I have decided to buy one or the other. I find myself looking at an investment of around 10,000 dollars in a device I have not seen first hand. Crazy, but I'm going to do it.
The question is which one. The main use will be FPV, but my main reason for getting one is my total fascination with the divice. I would appreciate input from members who share my same desire.

Recently saw this bad boy at Hobby Warehouse. One of the guys there, Tanner - who is resident expert on DJI products, this is one of his "monsters". Note 3 axis gimbal and monster motors on this beast. (now that FAA lost it's case in court - Tanner is also the guy who did controversial beer flight commercial)

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 761
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 785
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 784
NICKO said:
I currently own a 350 QX and a Phantom Vision. I have enjoyed both very much. I have been looking at either the S1000 or the S800 EVO with longing eyes. As my wife just uttered those magic words, "why don't you just go ahead and get it", I have decided to buy one or the other. I find myself looking at an investment of around 10,000 dollars in a device I have not seen first hand. Crazy, but I'm going to do it.
The question is which one. The main use will be FPV, but my main reason for getting one is my total fascination with the divice. I would appreciate input from members who share my same desire.

Do you want to buy it assembled and ready to go? It will be a grand or so more (depending on where you get it ... could be more). Do you want a dslr on it or will the lighter GoPro or modified GoPro do?

I'm building a Tarot 810 (see thread in this section) for about the same reasons you are. I will probably have 5K tied up in it by the time I add a Zenmuse and modified GoPro - If you wanted to, you could probably build one for slightly more than a 550 rtf but I'm adding some premium gear so the price goes up quickly. I am building it myself as part of the fun. I expect it to hold and fly well in the wind.

If you just want to play, then the 800 will be quite a bit cheaper than the 1000. Just the basic 1000 (no flight controller) costs 4K and then it starts getting pricey. The batteries for the 810 can be North of $200 each (delivered) and for the 1000 they would be more than that. The 1000 is an octo vs the 800 class which is hex. The flying time on the 800 will be longer (or should be) than the 1000 for many configurations. The folding ability seems interesting but I would probably only use that for storage since folding one up requires you to take off propellers and releasing several holders. The 1000 should lift much more than the 800 class so bigger dslr or cargo is quite feasible (maybe you could lease it to Amazon ;-}).

If you are comfortable spending a bit of money, I think the 1000 would be a cool plaything. I think you could put more than 10K into it if you wished.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic