RTH Altitude?

I would always treat the P4 as if it had no collision avoidance as there is always the possibility it doesn't quite spot something small or in time, So as everyone else has highlighted just go for an appropriate height for the area in which your flying. For us in the UK we aren't aloud to fly higher than 400ft which is roughly 120M so I just set mine to the highest possible so 400ft to be on the safe side.

Great vid! Glad it all worked out and just go to Pastor Nate's sermon and you will be square.

Good reminder to always check that we set the RTH. With all the settings and pre-check things you can do, being OCD, as I sort of am is useful.

Amazing that your P4 didn't take a hint of damage. I've seen people that had a 2 foot fall that almost totaled it.

Great stuff man. Way to record your methodology for recovering as well.

The thing you didn't do, even though you said you were, was panic. This is the worst thing one can do in a "crisis" situation. You won't do the right thing if you panic. When someone encounters a situation like this, my method is to just immediately admit defeat, and sort of put it in my head that's it's gone, and then just calmly do the things that are necessary. That "no signal" is scary right?

Mine keeps on doing that even when in the air and I can't figure out why on one of my Phantoms. Hopefully the mod hack will do it.

Anyway, nice!

EDIT: I forgot to say, I would set the obstacle avoidance to "stop" or hover. That way, you can look and see what the situation is. It saved you from the first tree but not the second but if you were to have seen the bird hovering near the tree instead of trying to traverse a second, you might have "saved" it, even though your P4 hitting a tree doesn't do any damage. I'm going to church! :)
I dont think the poster was the guy in this video ;)

Around, over or hover.

I think with return to home you only have fly higher and over. I have to check.

With the normal flying or using a special mode yes you have the options.

edit: i was correct

TapFly allows Horizonatal Obstacle Avoidance, where as Obstacle sensing system enabled will climb to avoid it if in RTH.

IMG_0197.jpg

avoid.PNG

Last edited:
Oh yeah, duh, on an RTH it will keep trying to come home. It would be a good firmware update to cancel the RTH should it have to implement OA.

Can anyone please explain how this RTH altitude setting works?
Let's say, that the P4 is flying at 30m currently, and the RTH alt is set to 60m. Whenever I initiate RTH, it will immediately fly up to 60m (without any horizontal movement) and then start flying back to the home location. Or, from 30m alt it is starting to come back home and while it is on the way it flies up to 60m (so horizontal AND vertical movement happens at the same time)?
Sorry for the dummy question, but I would like to understand the logic...

When RTH is initiated:
- if it is within 20 horizontal meters of you (the operator) it will descend and land immediately right where it is.
- if not, then if the aircraft is above the RTH height you set, it will stay at that altitude and set a course "as the crow flies" back to the home point
- if the aircraft is below the RTH altitude you set - it will rise vertically to the height you set before it begins to make any horizontal movement****

*** a feature I find questionable is that once RTH is initiated and the drone starts ascending - IF you touch the control sticks and the drone is above 30m - it will stop ascending and come directly home at whatever height it was at when you applied pitch. I can visualize a lot of people not knowing this and getting into trouble.

- there's one other thing that works differently if you are above or below 30m when RTH is triggered, but I don't remember what it is. 30m is an altitude that DJI built into the GO app and is not user modifiable. The same goes for initiating RTH within 20m (horizontally) of the operator - hard-coded within the app. It really just functions as an auto-land and not an RTH within 20m.

I typed this out, from memory - as a convenience for you - but I will not be held responsible if I spake an error! This information is in the manuals and I highly recommend you read it and understand it fully so that you're not surprised by any thing that occurs in the real world.

Last edited:
I set mine at 50M. The highest trees around me are 100' or less. But I'm usually flying much higher anyway.

Reactions: Stealthmatt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl