RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

DKDarkness said:
Has anyone tried the GoPro mount on the RotorPixel? I'm kind of curious if it works or not.

Untitled_preview_featured.jpg

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:449780

Great link DKDarkness.....good to see the 3D printer community is actively working on mounts that would allow us to mount cameras other than the FC200 on the P2V......and I am also curious if anyone has done this yet.

Motor removal

I crashed and broke the vertical arm on my rotorpixel. I ordered another arm and it should arrive this week.
My question is how do I detach the motor from the arm. Do I simply take out the 4 hex screws and then the motor slides out?
Thanks for any advice.

Geert said:
Brightsky said:
HELP. Finally received my gimbal today, fitted as per instructions and seemed to work great but tilt control on app no longer works!! tried EricT suggestion of changing centre travel limit to 0, didn't work so back to -450, still doesn't work. Went for a (cautious) test flight anyway, gimbal worked well, video very smooth, but I had NO TELEMETRY. The app showed wifi, card and extender icons blue, camera control and view fine but sat icon was zero and grey (the phantom showed normal rapid then slow green GPS lock, otherwise I wouldn't have flown) battery icon showed 0% and was grey, distance, alt and speed all showed N/A and the battery graphic was white and 0 mins. With no battery info (both batteries) I had to land early. I'm hoping that with so many symptoms the answer will be obvious to someone. Last pre gimbal flight 2 days ago was completely normal.

Connect your camera again direct with the white angled plug which comes out the Phantom's leg. Power on your Phantom and check if you telemetry now.
What are you using Android or iOS ? Did you try to delete the app completely and in stall again?

Geert./.

I'm having trouble mounting the camera to the rotorpixal... It seems like it's going to take a lot of pressure to get the ears over those bumps...

Never mind... I got it...

Those of you with a hard case who own a RotorPixel... How much modification did you have to do and how well does it travel? Any problems???

Thanks...
-slinger

I just replaced a broken vertical arm on my rotorpixel.
The gimble works like new, but now:

- I am showing 0% on full batteries
- I cannot manually pitch the camera down or up.

Checked all connections, checked for pinched wires, etc.
Why would I have no manual cameral pitch control and 0% battery indicated? I feel like the 2 problems are related, but I am stumped as to why.

Thanks for any help.

Question about the dampeners... regarding Simon's video... (at 1:50 - 1:56)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rw5d67pBSU[/youtube]

What I'm talking about in Simon's vid is the part where he pulls the aluminum gimbal frame down over the post on the locking thumbscrew and it hangs on tight... Mine just plain doesn't do that. It's a loose fit and the post on the thumbscrew can slide easily within the confines of the aluminum frame... This really confuses me.

I knew up front I'd have to tweak this thing this way and that in order to get best results and I'm in the process of doing so. If I still can't get it right I'll put up a vid so maybe you guys can see what's going on.

My main question is about how Simon's dampening configuration seems to differ greatly from mine. Simon's aluminum gimbal frame seems to be snugly held by the post of the thumb screws, which hold the frame down a bit lower and allows for more room above the gimbal frame. Any adjustments he makes, raises or lowers that aluminum gimbal frame in relation to the underside of the P2V. All I can do is compress the dampeners a bit, or not...

-slinger

-slinger....

Mine seems to tighten somewhat like the video shows and gives me good clearance on top of the aluminum plate. I appear to have very little jello effect, if any, at seven turns but have noticed some vibration when rotating. I have only done two very short test flights since installing the Rotorpixel but want to give it a good video test just as soon as the storm heading our way this evening moves on by the weekend. The vibration might be from the props, which I have never checked for balance. Will have to give that a try.

It looks like I just need to do a little system tweaking to get it right. I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts to dial it in..........

foggymtn said:
-slinger....

Mine seems to tighten somewhat like the video shows and gives me good clearance on top of the aluminum plate. I appear to have very little jello effect, if any, at seven turns but have noticed some vibration when rotating. I have only done two very short test flights since installing the Rotorpixel but want to give it a good video test just as soon as the storm heading our way this evening moves on by the weekend. The vibration might be from the props, which I have never checked for balance. Will have to give that a try.

It looks like I just need to do a little system tweaking to get it right. I look forward to seeing the results of your efforts to dial it in..........

I'm pretty well dialed in now and I'm extremely satisfied with the results. I'll try to get some video published out here this evening. I'm going to do a couple of test runs at a golf course after work tonight. Pretty stoked... :D :D :D

Finally my rotorpixel gimbal arrived, and i followed the installation instructions even watched vids on youtube on how to install. My problem is:
1. When doing the mirror test, the gimbal will work fine, but will "twitch" once or twice when i manually pitch it forward and to the side. If i find that position where it twitches, and hold it there, it'll sort of do a moderate frequency "nodding" motion. I tried balancing the whole thing, but it still does it.

2. The gimbal motors get really warm, too hot to touch actually, after only about 2 minutes of just sitting still when powered up. Is this normal?

3. I cant get the fpv video to come through the smartphone. Its completely black with the "loading" thingy just spinning. All parameters work tho, compass, camera tilt control, even altitude and distance are working, just the video feed isnt coming through. My Phantom 2 vision is completely stock, except for the rotorpixel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My 4 month wait, is turning to frustration :(

docrobot said:
Finally my rotorpixel gimbal arrived, and i followed the installation instructions even watched vids on youtube on how to install. My problem is:
1. When doing the mirror test, the gimbal will work fine, but will "twitch" once or twice when i manually pitch it forward and to the side. If i find that position where it twitches, and hold it there, it'll sort of do a moderate frequency "nodding" motion. I tried balancing the whole thing, but it still does it.

2. The gimbal motors get really warm, too hot to touch actually, after only about 2 minutes of just sitting still when powered up. Is this normal?

3. I cant get the fpv video to come through the smartphone. Its completely black with the "loading" thingy just spinning. All parameters work tho, compass, camera tilt control, even altitude and distance are working, just the video feed isnt coming through. My Phantom 2 vision is completely stock, except for the rotorpixel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My 4 month wait, is turning to frustration :(

1) Be sure you don't have a wire impeding motion. It doesn't take much pressure to cause what you're seeing. The wires have to have enough slack in them, coming from the gimbal, so that they don't bind it in any way.

2) I haven't noticed that, but now I'll be sure to check, the next time I fire it up.

3) Be sure both cables are snapped in all the way, but do so with the power off. The cables take quite a bit of pressure before they snap in and completely seat.

-slinger

@gunnslinger, re the video. I tried what you suggested and made sure the cables were plugged in tight. I even split the 3d printer made cable housing a bit from giving it a little to much push. Oh well, superglue time. The video feed is still not coming thru the phone. Im thinking, an update of the rotorpixel firmware could send the feed. I have no idea how it could be done since the rotorpixel has no info re updating the software. I see a mini usb plug, and a tiny black button tho at the back area of the gimbal. Would you know if these buttons and ports play a role in updating the software?

docrobot said:
@gunnslinger, re the video. I tried what you suggested and made sure the cables were plugged in tight. I even split the 3d printer made cable housing a bit from giving it a little to much push. Oh well, superglue time. The video feed is still not coming thru the phone. Im thinking, an update of the rotorpixel firmware could send the feed. I have no idea how it could be done since the rotorpixel has no info re updating the software. I see a mini usb plug, and a tiny black button tho at the back area of the gimbal. Would you know if these buttons and ports play a role in updating the software?

Make sure the screws that connect the motors to the gimbal aren't too tight. One of mine was just a bit a tight and long enough that it poked through and touched the plate on the other side which fouled things up.

As far as the lack of FPV, I don't think it has anything to do with the firmware in the gimbal. The gimbal just passes it through. Make sure the connections for all of the cables are tight and double-check the setting of the switch on the Vision's camera. If everything looks okay, I'd recommend trying to reconnect the camera directly to make sure that works.

Make sure the Phantom is powered off when you work the cables.

If the FPV works when the camera is directly connected and you don't find anything wrong with the cables or switch, you probably should contact Rotorpixel for help.

-- Roger

After three attempts to get technical support from RotorPixel via their website and Facebook, and no response, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and has a solution.

This problem occurred upon immediate start-up after installing the RotorPixel. I don't know if I did something wrong with the installation or if it's a technical issue with the gimbal. Essentially, the camera spazzes out when I start up the Phantom. Twisting/turning and then shaking. See attached video... Any suggestions at all? If not, any suggestion on how to get a response from RotorPixel?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/VZ7afyufmVs[/youtube]

Welcome to Phantom Pilots.
Sad to read you are having a problem with your gimbal and not getting help from them. Very odd. I know somewhere, maybe in this BIG thread, there is a routine to reset the board that controls the gimbal. That may be what will fix yours. I will look around and see if I can find it.
This might fix your problem. Can't hurt to try.

Attachments

• roto fix.jpg
    roto fix.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 440
I am close to buying the RP. I have read all posts in this thread. I am concerned about the added weight and how it affects the P2V.

Has anyone with the RP upgraded to the new motors, ESCs and props? If so, what is your experience?

GaryDZ said:
I am close to buying the RP. I have read all posts in this thread. I am concerned about the added weight and how it affects the P2V.

Has anyone with the RP upgraded to the new motors, ESCs and props? If so, what is your experience?
Only the RP here, not the other stuff. Only three things I have found: MUCH better video, a little less fly time, and no real change in how quad flies.

Happyflyer said:
GaryDZ said:

Only the RP here, not the other stuff. Only three things I have found: MUCH better video, a little less fly time, and no real change in how quad flies.

+1

-slinger

sjnbphantom said:
After three attempts to get technical support from RotorPixel via their website and Facebook, and no response, I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and has a solution.

This problem occurred upon immediate start-up after installing the RotorPixel. I don't know if I did something wrong with the installation or if it's a technical issue with the gimbal. Essentially, the camera spazzes out when I start up the Phantom. Twisting/turning and then shaking. See attached video... Any suggestions at all? If not, any suggestion on how to get a response from RotorPixel?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/VZ7afyufmVs[/youtube]

Had the same problem. Look at my (cb1)posts on page 27 and 28 of this discussion. Basically Rotorpixel support was not responding. I finally had to use the basecam software to see if I could fix the problem myself. Found the problem to be an incorrect parameter entered by Rotorpixel at the factory. They accidentally set the right sensor parameter to be X instead of Y. Once I changed to Y, the shaking stopped.

Today I go out to fly it for the first time, gimbal works fine when I power up Phantom and wobble by hand. I go to take off and immediately crash into a bush 3 feet off the ground because of operator disorientation (short explanation). (I have flown the Phantom hundreds of times before, not a rookie)

Replaced two blades that got whacked by the branches of bush, powered up, all looks fine, gimbal not working. I checked all wires, disconnected, reconnected, nothing. Camera still working and recording, just gimbal won't respond at all now.

Any ideas?

Had the same problem. Look at my (cb1)posts on page 27 and 28 of this discussion. Basically Rotorpixel support was not responding. I finally had to use the basecam software to see if I could fix the problem myself. Found the problem to be an incorrect parameter entered by Rotorpixel at the factory. They accidentally set the right sensor parameter to be X instead of Y. Once I changed to Y, the shaking stopped.[/quote]

Thanks! I will have a look and see if my settings were messed up. Appreciate the help.

Getting a new controller board from RotorPixel as that seems to be the consensus from everyone I have consulted with.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing