RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

Gotcher6 said:
I tried the split pvc rings, but found that they tend to bend inwards or outwards after several landings.

I've added some electrical tape like so - rings are now a tight fit to the landing gear and don't wobble or clip off at take offs or landings. :oops:
extension.jpg

Luap,
Good idea with the tape. Also, I see you cut the PVC at an angle for more surface area grip. I didn't do that, but I will.

Well first of all, lets not get off topic, since this is the RotorPixel thread.

I would definitely recommend the Solidoodle Press @ $399, which is the next gen of what I am using, and at less than half of what I paid 6 month ago :)

I don't use a Chinese gimbal, the pictures are from the original creator of the leg extensions, which snap on and of in a matter of 5 seconds. I REALLY like them :) I can't compare anything to RotorPixel, as that would entail making a side-by-side comparison of the different products. I would however LOVE for member Pull_Up (Simon Newton) to do a side-by-side review of the different gimbals on his excellent youtube channel :) http://www.youtube.com/user/Nomisnotwen/featured

DKDarkness said:
Well first of all, lets not get off topic, since this is the RotorPixel thread.
I would definitely recommend the Solidoodle Press @ $399, which is the next gen of what I am using, and at less than half of what I paid 6 month ago :)
Wow thanks for sharing - just pulled the trigger - that's the same price as a Rotorpixel Gimbal (to keep some context- )

Yes that's definitely something missing - a comparision review of available gimbals-
But you have the Rotor pixel? How does it compare to your motorpixie 2d / 3d - my main interest is lack in jello and vibrations.

DKDarkness said:

Thanks,

Here are my Rotorpixel settings. Does anything look incorrect?

I connected the controller to the PC and opened the Basecam GUI but did not turn on the Phantom. All of the displays on the right (Compass, Roll, Pitch) are oscillating at a fixed frequency when the motors are turned on and the pitch motor appears to be oscillating +/-1 degree at about 4 hz.

When I manually rotate the roll motor, the pitch indicator blue arrow moves in the GUI and when I manually rotate the pitch motor, the roll indicator moves in the GUI. Something appears to be connected backwards.

Regards

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 347
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 463
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 432
cb1 said:
DKDarkness said:

Thanks,

Here are my Rotorpixel settings. Does anything look incorrect?

I connected the controller to the PC and opened the Basecam GUI but did not turn on the Phantom. All of the displays on the right (Compass, Roll, Pitch) are oscillating at a fixed frequency when the motors are turned on and the pitch motor appears to be oscillating +/-1 degree at about 4 hz.

When I manually rotate the roll motor, the pitch indicator blue arrow moves in the GUI and when I manually rotate the pitch motor, the roll indicator moves in the GUI. Something appears to be connected backwards.

Regards

I think I found the problem. Right axis in basic settings should be Y and not X.
Thanks DKDarkness for your help.
No thanks to Rotorpixel for first delivering a gimbal with an improper setting and then never responding to any of my requests for help.

received #3027 last Tuesday. Istallation was a breeze but I'm having a bit of a problem with balance. I have moved it ever so slightly this way and that and I watched Simon's video which was helpful but it still wants to point down. Any suggestions?

Also I have noticed that with full power ascent the LEDs briefly flash red, even with full battery charge. Is the downward tilt/balance making the gimble draw enough current (to keep it in position) to make the controller think it's out of juice?

You might want to attach a brick the same weight as the RotorPixel gimbal to your P2V, and see if it exhibits the same behavior. I could be that it is simply the motors working overtime because of the added weight?

Ok dude. I was going to reply in a rather juvenile fashion but decided against it. Although you spew negativity about this gimbal and but don't seem to own it, I will refrain

So I will ask again: does anyone have any real suggestions on how to do a better balance or is it just trial and error.

Petereesha said:
Also I have noticed that with full power ascent the LEDs briefly flash red, even with full battery charge. Is the downward tilt/balance making the gimble draw enough current (to keep it in position) to make the controller think it's out of juice?

Regarding LEDs briefly flashing red, that is the low power sign. When your Phantom draws a lot of power from the ESCs to the motors, the current in the battery will drop momentarily, sometimes to the level predefined as below 30%. When power levels drop below 30%, LEDs will flash. If you don't fancy attaching a weight (brick) similar to the weight of the gimbal to test, simply unplug the gimbal (remember to isolate the jack plug to avoid shorts) and see if the quad behaves the same.

Petereesha said:
Ok dude. I was going to reply in a rather juvenile fashion but decided against it. Although you spew negativity about this gimbal and but don't seem to own it, I will refrain

So I will ask again: does anyone have any real suggestions on how to do a better balance or is it just trial and error.

When I balanced mine the first time after receiving it, I followed Simon's video instructions and it worked like a charm. The trick to knowing it is balanced is that when it is powered off, you should be able to move the gimbal roll to the right or left and it should stay in that position rather than moving back to either direction. The same holds for the pitch balancing......moving the gimbal up or down, it should stay in the position you place it.

I just recently re-balanced it because I took the DJI filter holder off (the extra layer of glass was making the video less clear) and it balances fine again. I will admit it takes a number of adjustments to get it right, and that means taking the camera out of the RP cradle to get at those adjustment screws. But patience and perseverance does pay off. Good luck.

Hello all. Sorry, been busy on the channel, a few other things and been away camping too. Just catching up on lots of stuff. Most things have been covered already but for completeness:

Yes, a balanced gimbal does not mean it always returns to level with the power off, it means it stays wherever you put it, at any angle. It's a slightly fiddly process involving small adjustments, test, adjust again, but worth spending the time to do right. The fact that you will be able to run with other cameras on means it's worth having the adjustment (even if it is a minor pain) compared to a Zenmuse, for example, that's factory balanced around only one camera.

Regarding power - the heavier aircraft does now draw more power for a given manoeuvre. Particularly at full power this can cause the voltage to drop enough in the cells to trigger a "low power" warning. If you back off the stick about 5-10% it should stop. With a heavier aircraft you need to realise that it will no longer be a sport wagon! But then again you wanted a brushless gimbal for nice smooth video, not hooning around the sky, right? :) My Vision is fat - Rotorpixel, lens filter kit and filter, a Flytrex Live on it and a couple of small other bits. I'm coming in at 1460g flying weight. If I avoid punch outs then I rarely see the low warning in summer. You will see it more in very cold weather - but again, just back off the stick.

Was there something else I missed?!

I'm same as you Simon, however I have two external camera antenna on the rig, I have thought about removing the old antenna from within the camera as they are currently just weight, has anyone done this , and is it worth it ?

Guys, I am sorry but I can not find the post that was here somewhere of what software I can use
with Rotorpixel gimbal. Can someone please help me find it.
I have notice that after a while of flying in windy condition my camera has tendency of slowly pitching down without my input. So every once in the while I need to pitch up on my Iphone app.
I was hoping to connect to software and see if there is some settings I could potentially play with to correct this behavior..
Thanks for help

brushlesheaven said:
Guys, I am sorry but I can not find the post that was here somewhere of what software I can use
with Rotorpixel gimbal. Can someone please help me find it.
I have notice that after a while of flying in windy condition my camera has tendency of slowly pitching down without my input. So every once in the while I need to pitch up on my Iphone app.
I was hoping to connect to software and see if there is some settings I could potentially play with to correct this behavior..
Thanks for help

All the software you need as at the motorpixie website (the Rotorpixel website is totally useless for resources, please avoid looking there):

https://sites.google.com/site/motorpixiegimbals/Resources

Install the 8 bit basecam software (use the latest version (I used SimpleBGC_GUI_2_40b7.zip)

This is the graphical user interface software that will allow you to see the settings

http://www.basecamelectronics.com/downloads/8bit/

First you need a USB to mini USB cable (not a micro USB cable)

Do not power up the Phantom. When you plug in the USB cable, the controller will be powered directly from the USB cable.

With the USB connected now install the USB software from this site:

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx

This software will allow the basecam controller to communicate with your computer.

If installation is successful, you should be able to open up the Graphical User Interface software and see all the rotorpixel settings. You can now change the settings as desired

Thanks all for your replies. I had figured the weight was the cause of the low battery warning, just needed confirmation. I've had no problem with balance on the roll axis but the pitch axis must require very tiny movements of the camera.....and actually as I'm typing this in the parking lot before going in to work, I bet my problem is made worse by leaving the wire connections attached when I'm balancing. I'll keep trying but thanks to all for the feedback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing