RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

Re: Quick update on my RP situation and kudos to Keri

JustJames said:
drjay32 said:
I was able to determine that for as of yet unknown reasons, my RP Gimbal was (apparently) drawing too much current from my system, which was the cause of my uncontrolled descents. Without getting into too many details, I'll just say that my P2V was able to fly at 15% charge with the RP/camera attached and the gimbal power cable unplugged. Plugging in the power cable prevented the motors from spooling up fast enough to take off once I was below 30% battery, and appears to be the source of my unexpected loss of thrust while flying.

I just wanted to pass along what I hope will be a positive experience with Rotorpixel support.
Upon completing my tests, I sent an email to Keri via the RP contact form. Within 10 minutes, I received a reply from Keri. I am a professional photographer and I happen to be leaving for a two-week photo safari on Saturday, and I mentioned this to him. He not only is sending me a replacement gimbal, but he is shipping via expedited 2-day post to ensure (customs notwithstanding) that I receive it in time for my trip.

My hope, of course, is that I simply had a defective unit. Considering that most people here are pleased with their setup, I'm optimistic.

So thank you to Keri for being so responsive to your customer.

-Jason

Hoping for a similar good experience and resolution. I have had an issue since day one as well with the battery going into the red and auto landing waaay too early. The first time I flew it hit at 40%! I have to fly SUPER gingerly not to throw it into low battery warning. Today I was ascending at a normal rate and it threw a warning at 64%!! Im not happy with the set up right now. I feel like I can't trust it. I wrote Keri on FB private message today. I hope to hear from him soon.

JJ

I've been experiencing the same problem with low battery warning and all it was doing was just hovering. I've hit the warning at 40%, 50%, etc. I use to be able to fly it till 15-20%.

Geert said:
Probably it has nothing to do with the gimbal or with Rotorpixel.

Other Phantom flyers have also this problem without the Rotorpixel gimbal.

See this topic : viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18044#p164811

Geert.

Could be. But my issues starred exactly after the gimbal was installed. Never had the issue..not once.. Prior to. So it's very coincidental if it's not the gimbal. Maybe it's just the added weight. Don't know. But if there is an issue is like to resolve it.

I started having a similar problem (low battery warnings and forced auto-landing almost immediately) with one of my three batteries. The other two batteries work normally. This actually started happening a few weeks *before* I received my Rotorpixel, so that's definitely not a cause in my case.

Conclusion: bad battery.

I recall performing a firmware update at the same time that I installed my new gimbal. Fortunately, I didn't see any problems like the low battery warning start at that time. But, if I had encountered such issues, it would have been hard to determine if it was the new firmware or the new gimbal (or both) that was at fault. In retrospect, I probably should have made one change at a time and waited until after a few flights before making the next change.

-- Roger

So today I started with 3 fresh batteries and though I'd try to reproduce the issue. Not one battery did it today. Weird. I tried everything to reproduce it full throttle ascending, flying even tried it with low battery around 44% still didn't happen. Im confused. I hate not knowing. Grr. I also tried out a wifi extender mod kit that I got from fpvlr

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... uct_id=102

I got some pretty good distance about 2000 ft' (out not up) way further than I have ever got before. Nerve racking. But I still have wifi grey out issues that are intermittent too. I just want the the dang thing to be reliable. Is that too much to ask? I suppose it is unfortunately. Ah well good day of flying over all.

JJ

Hi Guys,

I posted this on the rotorpixel discussion board but Geert pointed me in the direction of this technical discussion board. I don't see anyone that has experienced the same problem that I am having. Please see posted video.

I got my gimbal. Followed the instructions to change the gain settings. Installed the gimbal per instructions. When I power up the Phantom the gimbal goes crazy. It is oscillating all over the place. I straddled the phantom over two shoe boxes so the camera doesn't contact anything. Still the same problem. It randomly vibrates. Tried hitting the reset button on the gimbal control board and it stops momentarily while it resets but then the oscillations start all over again. Any idea what the problem could be?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpcZ-aXPb68[/youtube]

Any suggestions for making the Rotorpixel thumbscrews a bit tighter in their rubber grommet seats? I tried teflon tape but that still hasn't prevented the thumbscrews from loosening off over time, and yes, I have balanced my props. I don't want to use loctite as it is pretty well a permanent fix, and over time as the rubber dampers age the thumbscrews will require adjustment.

Thoughts, suggestions? TIA.

Sorry, it's not a problem I've seen with mine - they are staying put. Don't get Loctite near the plastic on the shell, though - it can eat into it pretty effectively. If teflon tape isn't working I'm struggling to think of something else to use to tighten them up. Hopefully some clever engineering types will be along soon.

A bit frustrated with Rotorpixel technical support. I e-mailed Keri and got an e-mail response quite quickly that he would give me a call. I e-mailed him back my phone number but have received no response. I sent another e-mail but no response. I wanted to go flying so I have now taken the malfunctioning gimbal off the phantom and reverted back to the original. I was thinking that as soon as I did that he might call. No worries, he never did.

I will keep trying to get in contact but I'm not sure what is worse, the months of waiting for the delivery or the days of waiting to get it working properly. I put it in the drawer so it is not within sight or I might launch it without it being attached to the Phantom.

It would be nice if he could e-mail me what he thinks the problem is after viewing my posted video. I seem to have one of the few gimbals that is suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms.

:( :x :evil:

img_0870.jpg

Received the new version of the RPG 4 days after receiving my email notification of shipping. Installation was easy thanks to those on this forum that have done video installations.

I was surprised of the weight of the PV2 now even though I of course new it would weigh more. Took a quick flight after changing the Assistant settings and was realized that it was going to take some getting use to with the new weight as it certainly does not hover still like it use to and drifts back and forth and up and down with any bit of wind - which it did not do before.

It certainly sucks battery life so that will also be a new as well to watch for so I can see the few few flights being close to home until I am confident things are all good.

Video is smooth and with a few adjustments for minor I will be out today taking some video of our horses (yes they have seen it lots and come over to visit it in the air if I hover by them).

girlspv2julyphantom.jpg

Pull_Up said:
If you get drift in height then you could try changing the basic altitude gain. Adjust in 10% steps, testing between each.

Thanks Pull_up I shall try that. It was not as severe this morning as yesterday so probably a wind issue. Today it did not want to get a wifi connection to the camera then lost it totally at about the 11 minute mark, at the same time the bells went off to start landing. Luckily I am keeping it close at the moment so no big deal. Some more adjustments and flying to do ..... a great gimbal though with smooth video.

I got my new gimbal today. Have it installed. Everything appears to be connected properly. I cannot control the tilt from the app though. Using the latest iPhone app. Firmware on the Phantom is 3.04. I've double checked all of the connections. I get the live feed from the camera and the gimbal functions as it is supposed to in regards to pitch and roll corrections. Anyone have any thoughts on the tilt control from the app not working?

Disregard. I found the problem. The gimbal control cable that was connected on the RP side was reversed. It was shipped like that. Going for a quick test flight...

This thread is terrifying. I was close to pulling the trigger on this thing, but no way. I'd honestly rather just save and get a PV2+ and keep both. I'd rather have two phantoms, one with a gimbal that actually works, and spend an extra 700 bucks. It's definitely not worth this mess to save that and deal with reduced battery life, if it even works.

I thought I had an issue with the fish eye, "I'm a ****" it was when the camera went pointing up ie above horizon when below horizon it was fine....

But I don't need it to point so far up at the props etc so need to change the given gimble settings
Any ideas to make it point straight down and not so high.

Footage is a bit dark too, but I'll experiment with the exposure.
Also it does use the battery fairly quickly, although was about 26km winds and gusts I tested it in today and you will also notice it descends rather quicker , so ease up on decent.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 490
Does anyone have a copy of the rotorpixel software for the AlexMos/Basecam gimbal control board and any idea how to download it to the gimbal. My gimbal is a dud. It shakes continuously and I cannot get in contact with anyone at rotorpixel to get it fixed. If someone has had to reload software into the control board, can you please give me some info. I was looking at some of the info on the basecamelectronics website and it looks fairly technical and I assume all of the parameters have been customized by rotorpixel to make it work properly with the phantom vision.

http://www.basecamelectronics.com/downloads/8bit/

Has anyone come up with DIY removable landing skid extenders so the camera is raised. I tried the split pvc rings, but found that they tend to bend inwards or outwards after several landings. I recall seeing a post where plastic hangers were attached to the bottom skid with zip ties, but I'm not sure if that would allow for rotating the hangers so the drone would fit into my case.
Any ideas and or pictures would be appreciated.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj