RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

Okay, I installed my RPG today.....followed the instructions plus watched Simon's and that HPI Guy's videos beforehand. I have the 7th channel slider on my TX, so before changing the gimbal settings, I ran the DJI utility to change my TX back to the Vision from the H3-2D setting. Then through the V2.00 PC Assistant software I set gimbal under advanced headings for the Pitch Gain to 0 and the Servo Travel Limit in the Pitch Center box to -450. Reset the TX as a H3-2D to get the TX lever to control the gimbal angle rather than use the Android app for the angle adjustment. However, the camera will not point straight down and when at its other extreme is pointing significantly towards the props. Suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

****Update****: I set the Servo Travel Limit in the Pitch Center box to 0, and now the camera will point straight down and not so far up as previously at the other lever travel extreme, but still slightly up from totally horizontal. This is contrary to the RP install instructions sheet that came with the RPG.....will this cause a problem in the long run?

The other issue is that my Android app FPV on my phone cuts in and out even when near the P2V, yet the camera video records fine. My son and I tried a few tests without spinning up the P2V and it seems when the camera is pointing away from the TX/phone we lose the FPV video view on the phone and if you turn the P2V sideways the FPV video starts again. All this was tested when not flying the P2V but holding it and rotating the P2V around. Tried it outside flying and the FPV video on the phone never shows, just a freeze frame, sometimes a partial freeze frame. Suggestions as to my problem. BTW I have not modded the TX, WiFi Extender, or the P2V's antennas.

****Update****: I turned down the frame rate and resolution in the app settings and now I don't lose the FPV video feed. Thanks Simon.

On a very positive note, the recorded video with the RPG is extremely stable, even when I was totally aggressive on the sticks. No jello that I can see.....I fully tightened the thumb screws on the RPG and then backed them off 2 turns as some other posters suggested. Love the new gimbal(s).

Pull_Up said:
Unsure why you are suddenly having poor connection issues even at close range. Is your app definitely connected to the range extender and not the camera by mistake? Range extender fully charged? Have you also tried turning down the frame rate and resolution in the app settings?

The app is definitely connected to the range extender because it is labelled Phantom as opposed to the FC200 camera. The extender is fully charged. I will try turning down the frame rate and resolution to see if that might fix it. I won't be able to try until tomorrow as it is getting dark here in Toronto now.

Seahorse said:
EricT said:
How do you do a deep drain of the P2V battery? TIA.

Fly until battery warning, @ 15% she will try & autoland. Throttle up to maintain hover until 8% then land and switch off. Deep drain complete. :idea:

After how many flights on a battery would you recommend deep draining the battery?

As per the manual at 20 discharges.

I flew my new RPG yesterday about 3 times.....5 minute flights each. The RPG when at rest (i.e. battery powered on but props not spinning) was totally silent. Today when I went to fly and powered up the P2V, the RPG is making a slight buzzing sound.....is this normal? It adjusts perfectly for the pitch and roll, but the appearance of the sound after being totally silent yesterday has me wondering if something is amiss. There are no wires touching or tugging and the RPG is not touching the ground as I have landing gear heighteners on, the same as yesterday.

EricT said:
I flew my new RPG yesterday about 3 times.....5 minute flights each. The RPG when at rest (i.e. battery powered on but props not spinning) was totally silent. Today when I went to fly and powered up the P2V, the RPG is making a slight buzzing sound.....is this normal? It adjusts perfectly for the pitch and roll, but the appearance of the sound after being totally silent yesterday has me wondering if something is amiss. There are no wires touching or tugging and the RPG is not touching the ground as I have landing gear heighteners on, the same as yesterday.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10814&start=40

Read that page

Fitted my RP Gimbal today and worked well except that I wasn't able to obtain full tilt. Thank goodness I read this thread and found EricT's advice on changing center from -450 to 0. Worked a treat. Thanks EricT

On Vacation said:
Fitted my RP Gimbal today and worked well except that I wasn't able to obtain full tilt. Thank goodness I read this thread and found EricT's advice on changing center from -450 to 0. Worked a treat. Thanks EricT

You're welcome....it is nice to be able to provide a solution when so many other posters have contributed to my learning curve and knowledge of the P2V and the RPG.

I thought I would share my latest P2V pics with hew arm stripes and blades on my quad, plus I made a little wider landing rings for the stock landing skids to give it a little bit more stability....the weight difference between the two sets of landing rings is about 16 grams.

Attachments

• IMG_0522 copy.jpg
    IMG_0522 copy.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 559
EricT said:
I thought I would share my latest P2V pics with hew arm stripes and blades on my quad, plus I made a little wider landing rings for the stock landing skids to give it a little bit more stability....the weight difference between the two sets of landing rings is about 16 grams.

Looks good with the Canada flags.
What is the wall thickness / width / diameter that you used for the landing gear rings? Thanks.

BManCan said:
EricT said:

Looks good with the Canada flags.
What is the wall thickness / width / diameter that you used for the landing gear rings? Thanks.

Thanks....I like the Canadian flag striping as well.....the new props added the the red/white theme. I posted this elsewhere as to the landing skid clips:

I think it is PVC.....it is a piece of white plastic pipe my pool service company had sitting poolside after putting in my new pool liner and doing some repairs. I asked the service technician if he needed it and he said I could have it......it measures 1 7/8" O/D and 1 5/8" I/D....I cut 1/4" sections off on my radial arm saw and cut a slice through the circle on my band saw to spread the ring to insert into the inside groove on the landing skids.....the outside of the landing skids is not grooved but the ring is rigid enough it stays in place and does not slip off since it cannot compress smaller than its original diameter.

However, I cannot take credit for it as I saw someone else's post about this solution to raising the P2V landing skids to keep the RPG clear of the ground, even when pointed straight down.

Has anyone tried a stiffer damper with rotorpixel?

I stuffed earplugs in the white dampers and have eliminated most of the jello effect but it's still not 100%

I'm wondering if the stiff rubber black dampers for the H3-2D will fit and if anyone has tried this?

If not I'll be the guinea pig. I just ordered these from a us seller on ebay but this link is a better picture of the product.

http://www.helipal.com/zenmuse-h3-2d--1 ... 8g3ma9ta51

What Firmware are you running with your RP?

I have had three crashes due to in-flight power loss (motors idle, everything else continues to run) and my bird simply returns to Earth. I'm not losing electrical power; no battery warnings, klaxons, or other notifications. Video continues to record during these incidents.

I did not have any of these issues prior to installing the RP Gimbal, but for me this also coincided with FW 3.04. The FW upgrade came up on-screen when I was initially modifying the Pitch settings per the RP instructions.

So I'm in trouble-shooting mode now. One bounce landing where I was able to recover control, followed by two crashes during which I could not regain control. These were all from close range and modest altitude (below 60'). This was not a RTH event, and all my electrical contacts seem fine.

I'm trying to eliminate:
1) RP Gimbal interference
2) FW problem
3) Ring vortex situation

While #3 is possible, I was not trying to descend rapidly during any of these instances. In fact, I'd think that the FW 3.04 should have helped me there by preventing rapid descent.

I have rolled back to FW 1.08 and will see what happens, but this isn't the kind of experience I want to have.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: What Firmware are you running with your RP?

drjay32 said:
I have had three crashes due to in-flight power loss (motors idle, everything else continues to run) and my bird simply returns to Earth. I'm not losing electrical power; no battery warnings, klaxons, or other notifications. Video continues to record during these incidents.

I did not have any of these issues prior to installing the RP Gimbal, but for me this also coincided with FW 3.04. The FW upgrade came up on-screen when I was initially modifying the Pitch settings per the RP instructions.

So I'm in trouble-shooting mode now. One bounce landing where I was able to recover control, followed by two crashes during which I could not regain control. These were all from close range and modest altitude (below 60'). This was not a RTH event, and all my electrical contacts seem fine.

I'm trying to eliminate:
1) RP Gimbal interference
2) FW problem
3) Ring vortex situation

While #3 is possible, I was not trying to descend rapidly during any of these instances. In fact, I'd think that the FW 3.04 should have helped me there by preventing rapid descent.

I have rolled back to FW 1.08 and will see what happens, but this isn't the kind of experience I want to have.

Thanks,
Jason
Does the aircraft have flashing red lights when this happens? That would indicate a forced emergency auto-landing, due to a detected battery problem.

Re: What Firmware are you running with your RP?

jimre said:
Does the aircraft have flashing red lights when this happens? That would indicate a forced emergency auto-landing, due to a detected battery problem.

Believe me, this was not a forced landing. No battery warnings or otherwise. Just a straight drop into the ground and a hard bounce.

Re: Has anyone tried a stiffer damper with rotorpixel?

gfredrone said:
I stuffed earplugs in the white dampers and have eliminated most of the jello effect but it's still not 100%

I'm wondering if the stiff rubber black dampers for the H3-2D will fit and if anyone has tried this?

If not I'll be the guinea pig. I just ordered these from a us seller on ebay but this link is a better picture of the product.

http://www.helipal.com/zenmuse-h3-2d--1 ... 8g3ma9ta51

I was considering buying them because I can't really get a good jello free vid.

Let's us know how they work for you.

After install of Rotorpixel "Connection to Phantom Failed"

I need the help from the wisdom of this group please. I've had my Vision since November, and everything has been just fine. Yesterday I installed my new Rotorpixel gimbal. It seems to work great when I manually move the Phantom. But when I try to connect my iPhone for FPV, I get "Connection to Phantom failed" and a black screen. Question: there is a dot that looks like a led light on the camera right over where the gimbal plugs into the back of the camera. Should that be lit? Mine is not. Perhaps the camera is not getting any juice. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor