Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

djscoutmaster said:
I'm having problems with my gimbal when pointed straight down it seems to shake a bit. Enought that it noticabily shows up in the video. Any ideas on how to fix this?

If you're fine in other orientations then it could be a cable fouling or being at full stretch. Check there is enough slack in the IMU cable to let the camera tilt fully - if there is resistance or a snag then the gimbal will jitter as it gets pulled back from where it wants to be then tries to correct.

Check the orientation of the jack plug into the camera in case it's the white cable giving the issue by actually having too much slack. When I first fit mine the loop in the white cable was too big and caught on the gimbal frame as the camera tilted. A tweak of the plug orientation meant it cleared the frame when tipping the camera - check by hand. If it's still too long you can try carefully pulling some excess back through the zip tie if that's the problem.

jimre said:
Not really a "vacation". One of Keri's other businesses is running underwater photography workshops, like his recent trip to Dominica:

http://wetpixel.com/articles/spaces-on- ... -available

I'm pissing my pants right now at all the Intel thats gathered, the NSA can't be this good.

Does anyone know when Keri had his last colonoscopy? :lol:

Bigvern said:
I paid with a Visa debit card !
If that's any help.

Now I know you teasing. That's exactly what I tried using, and she also explained by email that their system does not except Debit Cards. Maybe I will drive there as it is just a 12hr drive. NOT!

Actually Keri mentioned they will get it sorted out.

WeaponsHot said:
jimre said:
Not really a "vacation". One of Keri's other businesses is running underwater photography workshops, like his recent trip to Dominica:

I'm pissing my pants right now at all the Intel thats gathered, the NSA can't be this good.

I suspect he feels like he's had several already since this thread started... :shock:

WeaponsHot said:
jimre said:

I suspect he feels like he's had several already since this thread started... :shock:

flyNfrank said:
Bigvern said:
I paid with a Visa debit card !
If that's any help.

Now I know you teasing. That's exactly what I tried using, and she also explained by email that their system does not except Debit Cards. Maybe I will drive there as it is just a 12hr drive. NOT!

Actually Keri mentioned they will get it sorted out.

Frank I actually used a debit card too. I too stopped using credit cards many years ago and I'm OCD about it. I did get an extra $7-10 charge for it being an out of country charge but mine worked.

Most Debit cards are backed by Visa or MC and can be processed as a debit or credit.
I also used a debit card.
If your card has a visa or mc logo on the face of the card. It can be processed as a credit. It still may require you to have the necessary balance in your account to process the transaction.
Some banks may still offer "debit only" cards. You'll have to verify that with your bank.

Gimbaless in E. Texas

The Rookie

Geert said:
It happened just only once yes.

At first I recorded at 1920x1080 30 p , but the video had many horizontal waves , it didn't look good at all.
I don't know the cause yet. I changed my props and changed the settings to 1280x720. Now it looks better.
I want to find out where these waves come from.

Prop shadows?

Geert said:
I installed my replacement part for the Rotorpixel gimbal this afternoon and went out for a test.
Just posted my first videoclip on youtube.

Nothing fancy smancy, just did some quick movements with my P2V to see how the gimbal reacts.
Starting from 2:00 until 2:05 I can see some hiccups.

Please your comment !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcB_Kk ... e=youtu.be

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcB_KkJdRc[/youtube]

ovel all good but I see some jello effect. Yes, the hiccups are usually caused by camera touching something in its trajectory

Geert said:
I installed my replacement part for the Rotorpixel gimbal this afternoon and went out for a test.
Just posted my first videoclip on youtube.

Nothing fancy smancy, just did some quick movements with my P2V to see how the gimbal reacts.
Starting from 2:00 until 2:05 I can see some hiccups.

Please your comment !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcB_Kk ... e=youtu.be

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcB_KkJdRc[/youtube]

Beautiful Greece!!!!

I had to play with mine quite a bit to get it where I wanted it. The screws had to be just right and it's my understanding it's different on all P2V's. Same with the wires, I kept readjusting them.

More videos of Greece please? :)

Geert said:
Here is my first video with the rotor pixel gimbal.
It is not a nice video because of the horizontal waves. It was recorded 1920x1080 30p.

Please view it in full screen.
Any thoughts what caused these waves?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDxjeR08J2k[/youtube]

I had to tighten my screws tight to get rid of the jello effect. Yours must be very loose?

That's jello, or rolling shutter effect. Have you got the shaft of the thumbscrews fully into the dampers so that they touch the actual thumb wheel? That was my error and why I did an addendum to my installation video.

If you have them fully seated, try loosening the thumbscrews one turn and try again. The dampers probably haven't got enough give in them to absorb the vibrations with the screws at that tightness level. It is a little trial and error to get it right, but worth it when you hit the sweet spot. It's the same with most gimbals, luckily ours is easy to adjust with the thumbscrew wheels. I actually had some vibration transfer as opposed to jello and tightening up helped that, but as everyone's dampers who have a little different stretch then try going both ways.

This is textbook "jello", Geert, and is specifically why we used variable tightness thumbscrews in each of the vibration dampers. No two P2V systems were created equal when it comes to vibration frequency and amplitude, so everyone will require a slightly different amount of tightening/loosening of the white thumbscrews in order to eliminate vibrations. Be careful that the screws are not tightened so far that the pitch control cable (coming from the underside of the P2V) becomes pinched between the gimbal and the P2V body. Also be careful not to tighten them so much that the gimbal frame contacts the underside of the P2V directly - when such contact occurs, the P2V motor vibrations are essentially transferred directly to the camera... which is not a good thing!

Keri

I have a quick question with regard to selecting your resolution...My options do not include 1080p @ 30 fps...(see pic) I know it sets the fps as close to 30 as it can, but a few of my vids are only at 29 fps. Is this what everyone sees on their Vision camera settings too ? EDIT: Is this problem created by my "text sizing" on my tablet.... or something else ?

uxwp.jpg

Thanks for your responses. And sorry if it was too "off topic".

The Rookie

Keri, I'm dying here! When is the next shipment going out?

Phantom 2 Vision, Ragecams 5.4 flat lens, Rotorpixel gimbal (on order #384)

Geert said:
RCRookie said:
I have a quick question with regard to selecting your resolution...My options do not include 1080p @ 30 fps...(see pic) I know it sets the fps as close to 30 as it can, but a few of my vids are only at 29 fps. Is this what everyone sees on their Vision camera settings too ? EDIT: Is this problem created by my "text sizing" on my tablet.... or something else ?

Thanks for your responses. And sorry if it was too "off topic".

The Rookie

Hi Rookie,

I don't have that problem.
Maybe a text size problem on your tablet

Thanks Geert...I had an epiphany.. That last part about text size, dawned on me after I posted...I'll check that now.

EDIT: That's exactly what it was....sorry for the post.. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl