Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Rotorpixel said:
Please everyone, tell me what you *really* think.... :shock:

Gimbals are starting to be assembled this weekend, and we already have another production run started, so we're hoping to have an uninterrupted supply moving forward. If all goes as planned, we should be able to have the backlog cleared in a timely manner, and the "magical mysterious super secret list" can be discarded altogether.

But please, everyone, be patient, and your gimbals will come... hopefully sooner than you think!

Oh, also, because we have a few industrial 3D printers at our disposal, we were able to very quickly tinker with a new feature which might make it into the final product... a variable pre-load thumb-screw for adjusting the stiffness of the white vibration damping balls. Alone, they are a little too flimsy for the Vision, but with our custom thumb-screws, each damping ball can be individually tightened/loosened, allowing you to fine-tune any vibrations away if necessary.

Keri

Is anyone else concerned that the wimpy white vibration damping balls of the original vision might not be robust enough to hold the heavier gimbal during hard flying. It wouldn't be much fun to loose the gimbal while flying. It might be a good idea to put a zip tie loosely through each ball just in case.

texami said:
This question may have already been answered, but will the new Rotorpixel gimbal work with all the iPhone app controls?

One minor complaint about the vision now is that one can not take a photo straight down.

Yes it will and yes it will be able to point straight down, the full 90 degrees from horizontal. As others have hinted, ground clearance is tight with the camera horizontal, let alone lens down - so remember to put it back horizontal before landing on the ground...

Good idea, or use fishing line. Strong and light....

Is anyone else concerned that the wimpy white vibration damping balls of the original vision might not be robust enough to hold the heavier gimbal during hard flying. It wouldn't be much fun to loose the gimbal while flying. It might be a good idea to put a zip tie loosely through each ball just in case.[/quote]

smatty2023 said:
Hi does anyone know how much import tax I would have yo pay for delivery to the uk?

Hello. You are technically liable for UK VAT and import duty. Depending on how Rotorpixel label the box it could be anywhere from 4.5 to 6.5 per cent. If Keri takes time out from gimbal building and lets us know what category he's going to put on his export certificates then you can get a quote from http://www.dutycalculator.com

As they are being sent by a postal service rather than courier service then there's always a chance it might slip through, especially if the package is small and the value on the certificate is generously small... ;)

Hi thanks for your reply, that is exactly what I was thinking it really depends how they package the gimbal. I have emailed them twice with no reply I guess they are flat out building them. I see you are an experienced phantom flyer are you going for one?

Indeed. Order placed soon after they went live. I told everyone here that I had noticed Keri had just updated their website with extra info on the gimbal then went for a cup of coffee. I came back 5 mins later to find he'd opened the pre-orders between me clocking the changes and getting my caffeine!

They are working flat out this week to assemble, program, balance, check and test all 100 gimbals in the first run by hand as a priority, and I know they are struggling to keep up with that and their inbox so I'd be a bit patient with them...! I've just assumed the worse and that I'll get stung for the highest amounts possible, then I can only be pleasantly surprised. You can always choose a slower delivery option which will bring the overall cost down, too. Pretty favourable exchange rate at the moment, though... :)

Hi yes the exchange rate is very good maybe I'll just take the plunge it does look fantastic. Did they give you a delivery time etc. I guess I will be well outside the first 100 so I could be waiting some time.

brushlesheaven said:

Is anyone else concerned that the wimpy white vibration damping balls of the original vision might not be robust enough to hold the heavier gimbal during hard flying. It wouldn't be much fun to loose the gimbal while flying. It might be a good idea to put a zip tie loosely through each ball just in case.
[/quote]

I'd go with zip ties if RotorPixel doesn't ship the adjustable thumb screws for the dampening balls. I've had too many fish break a line to be comfortable with fishing line plus it could possibly slice into the plastic dampers. Just thinking out loud...

Hi

Does anyone have any video footage to support that it is a great gimbal? Not saying it isn't looking great but just find it odd not seeing any video footage?

Would be great to see some

Thanks!

cnever said:
Hi

Does anyone have any video footage to support that it is a great gimbal? Not saying it isn't looking great but just find it odd not seeing any video footage?

Thanks!

Keri said it was great. LOL No vids yet.

gfredrone said:
brushlesheaven said:

I'd go with zip ties if RotorPixel doesn't ship the adjustable thumb screws for the dampening balls. I've had too many fish break a line to be comfortable with fishing line plus it could possibly slice into the plastic dampers. Just thinking out loud...[/quote]

SpectraLine is like steel cable, weighs nothing, and can be threaded outside the balls to prevent slicing them in a crash, like this;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=802

cnever said:
Hi

Thanks!

Nothing specific on the Vision gimbal, but there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing the level of stability you get with the rotorpixel gopro gimbals. Keri's promised us the stability with the Vision camera will be as good...

RemE said:
gfredrone said:
brushlesheaven said:

I'd go with zip ties if RotorPixel doesn't ship the adjustable thumb screws for the dampening balls. I've had too many fish break a line to be comfortable with fishing line plus it could possibly slice into the plastic dampers. Just thinking out loud...

SpectraLine is like steel cable, weighs nothing, and can be threaded outside the balls to prevent slicing them in a crash, like this;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=802

Zip ties would be easier to adjust. They make tiny clear ones rated at 50 lbs each. The added weight would be negligible. To each his own but I prefer to zip and go as I don't trust my knot tying abilities.

You can even get quick release ones. http://www.nelcoproducts.com/cable-ties ... -40-250-lb

Hopefully a mute point if Keri sends out the adjustable damper screws.

Exactly. However, the dronexpert gimbal uses a similar mounting point and there haven't been any reports I've seen of people suffering degraded wifi to any major degree with that one. You might find you lose signal at distance if you point the motor side at the range extender versus pointing the unblocked side, but until they get into the real world we won't know. If you look at the thread on here where people are stretching the wifi range towards 4km :!: then you've got the option to add an antenna mounted to the skids taking a pigtail from inside the camera to the outside, for example - this could allow you to get lots of range using the gimbal...

Pull_Up said:
Exactly. However, the dronexpert gimbal uses a similar mounting point and there haven't been any reports I've seen of people suffering degraded wifi to any major degree with that one. You might find you lose signal at distance if you point the motor side at the range extender versus pointing the unblocked side, but until they get into the real world we won't know. If you look at the thread on here where people are stretching the wifi range towards 4km :!: then you've got the option to add an antenna mounted to the skids taking a pigtail from inside the camera to the outside, for example - this could allow you to get lots of range using the gimbal...

I agree. If there is any loss for FVP distance it will be negligible. I have already added a 9dbi omni-directional antenna to my wifi repeater and I'm getting around 3,500ft (1070 meters for you red coats :lol: ). I don't know the exact distance for sure because the distance goes to N/A after 3,300. I am tempted to try adding an external antenna on the camera as well but with these results I don't see the need. Plus if I added an external antenna on the camera it would probably not fit in my case unless removed.

u5uhene6.jpg

All I know is I'm super excited for the Rotorpixel gimbal. The only other thing I would like in the future is possibly a larger mah (milli-amp hour) battery...if that's even possible.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures