Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Received my Rotorpixel last Friday..#502.
Installed it.. everything went smooth; happy customer; anxiety on waiting for it, installing it, using it is gone..

I'll post most my minor issues on the Rotorpixel Technical Thread...

Pull_Up said:
RCRookie said:
These water crashes are horrible to imagine...And I have been flying 'a lot' over water since I got my Vision. Its a fair statement that I read once, as I was considering buying a DJI Phantom. "If you own one of these, you will crash one of these". No truer words could be spoken.

With that said. Here is my first video with a Rotorpixel gimbal. This was out of the box installed as per instructions with no adjustments or tuning. No editing of the video other than content removal and splices.
I did watch a couple of installation videos first, and Pull_Up's informative clips on balancing the camera and tightness of the dampener thumbscrews. Also, I thank all the contributors to this thread, who have posted information, videos and tutorials , without which this would be much more difficult to get right.

In the video, I managed to highlight my poor skills, Vision feet, some props, some jello, ...but, (knock on wood), I didn't take a bath my first flight out! :cool:

http://youtu.be/Dbfz7lpLiFA

More to come.

The Rookie

That was a satisfactorily still horizon line, wasn't it? Just a little tuning to do and you'll be perfect. Aw I got all nostalgic and had to watch my first Rotorpixel vid again... :)

Yes..it was a very calm evening. I was amazed how easily it all worked....I had to go back in and adjust the Max Gain for straight down....but everything seems to be fine. I'll play around with the dampeners a bit more to see where the sweet spots are. Now its 25 mph winds....So looks like it will be a day or two before next test.

NRL777 said:
Received my Rotorpixel last Friday..#502.
Installed it.. everything went smooth; happy customer; anxiety on waiting for it, installing it, using it is gone..

I'll post most my minor issues on the Rotorpixel Technical Thread...

#404 and still haven't received mine! It's long way from Canada to Finland :(

Have fun!

I have a Vision Plus with destroyed camera and gimbal, and no immediate prospects for replacement parts. Just wondering if it would be possible to retrofit a Rotorpixel and original Vision camera to my Vision Plus?

EDIT: For executive summary, see post above!

In theory possibly, but it won't be plug-and-play as there's no equivalent camera power/data lead and no equivalent servo tilt lead. But as well as having to work out how to get power and tilt control to the gimbal you'll have to work out how to get power and data into/out of the original Vision camera and get it talking to the system in the Plus.

I think if you managed to get an original Vision camera working with your Plus then you could probably get the gimbal working in the sense of being powered, but not sure how easy it would be to get it tilting.

Your final option is to just fly it around as a naked aircraft and hope DJI release the gimbal/camera unit as a spare soon - that will probably work out quite a bit cheaper than buying a Rotorpixel and an original Vision camera, but who know how long it will take for them to be abvailable? It was almost 3 months after launch before replacement cameras for the Vision became easily available...

Pull_Up said:
RCRookie said:
These water crashes are horrible to imagine...And I have been flying 'a lot' over water since I got my Vision. Its a fair statement that I read once, as I was considering buying a DJI Phantom. "If you own one of these, you will crash one of these". No truer words could be spoken.

With that said. Here is my first video with a Rotorpixel gimbal. This was out of the box installed as per instructions with no adjustments or tuning. No editing of the video other than content removal and splices.
I did watch a couple of installation videos first, and Pull_Up's informative clips on balancing the camera and tightness of the dampener thumbscrews. Also, I thank all the contributors to this thread, who have posted information, videos and tutorials , without which this would be much more difficult to get right.

In the video, I managed to highlight my poor skills, Vision feet, some props, some jello, ...but, (knock on wood), I didn't take a bath my first flight out! :cool:

More to come.

The Rookie

That was a satisfactorily still horizon line, wasn't it? Just a little tuning to do and you'll be perfect. Aw I got all nostalgic and had to watch my first Rotorpixel vid again... :)

Nice video Rookie! Beautiful part of the country... Wherever that is. I can't wait to get mine! I know you've been anxiously waiting a while for yours, glad you got it. I did notice that the horizon looked a little crooked around 1:25. I have this same issue without the gimbal in a lot of my still photos. I rarely even bother with video since it's so shaky. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Googling "crooked phantom vison camera" didn't yield any results lol.

Jhm119 said:
Pull_Up said:
RCRookie said:

More to come.

The Rookie

Nice video Rookie! Beautiful part of the country... Wherever that is. I can't wait to get mine! I know you've been anxiously waiting a while for yours, glad you got it. I did notice that the horizon looked a little crooked around 1:25. I have this same issue without the gimbal in a lot of my still photos. I rarely even bother with video since it's so shaky. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Googling "crooked phantom vison camera" didn't yield any results lol.

Are you flying in GPS mode? If so then the aircraft (and therefore ungimballed camera) will lean into the wind in order to hold station...

Are you flying in GPS mode? If so then the aircraft (and therefore ungimballed camera) will lean into the wind in order to hold station...[/quote]

Thanks Pull_Up, but I have switched to attitude mode and still get the same result. Then again, I may have only clicked it down once from GPS mode. What's the difference between those two modes anyway? Are they both attitude mode?

If you haven't changed into NAZA mode then the S1 switch won't make a difference - if you've got satellites then you'll be in GPS mode wherever you put the switch. If you have switched over to NAZA mode via the Assistant software then you'll have access to S1 functions to flip between GPS mode and ATTI mode.

Quick video describing the difference here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SWg7fwEY00[/youtube]

I really must dust off the X4 and throw it around again - it's been sorely neglected recently, poor thing. Relegated to being used as a prop in low-fi videos!

Jhm119 said:
Pull_Up said:
RCRookie said:

More to come.

The Rookie

It's taken at Lake Palestine, in Texas. Yes...I noticed the gimbal was slow to straighten when I rolled and yawed left....I'll have to investigate the wiring, I suspect the power cable got caught on the cradle thumbscrew...As I noticed this same situation later while holding the Vision.
Overall ...very impressed with this gimbal (for what I know about gimbals)...Its been a hoot learning all of this.

For the first time in months....I've got "nothing on order" :lol: feels weird!

The Rookie

RCRookie said:
<Snip!>Yes...I noticed the gimbal was slow to straighten when I rolled and yawed left....I'll have to investigate the wiring, I suspect the power cable got caught on the cradle thumbscrew...As I noticed this same situation later while holding the Vision.

I thought mine was the cable, however the issue seems (not enough gaps in the rain for flights) to have been resolved by balancing the gimbal... :ugeek:

Guys - Just dipping a toe in here now that we (the new moderators) are getting up to speed a little.

This thread appears to have been the subject of a large percentage of the 'reported threads' in the PV forum but at near 400 pages that makes sense.
While many reports are now old now, I still felt it right to at least acknowledge that they have been seen. I would ask for patience as we start our new roles and come up with a fair and reasonable ways to moderate across all forums/threads so people can feel they are being treated as equally as is practically possible. We all know it will never be perfect but we have to start somewhere. Right now we cannot guarantee replies to reports but trust me they will not be going totally unseen anymore.... don't forget we are all mere mortals with the same addiction to this hobby as you ;)

Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

I just received notification that my RPG has been shipped......I was order #621. I should have it in a few days as I live just NE of Toronto which is about a 30 minute drive from Keri's location in Mississauga.

Lo, the light has shown (finally) from Canada. So sayeth the night's electro-mail, believe that the long awaited order # 595 is on its way to San Antonio. Hope that's right!

Whit

Geert said:
jjwags said:
Another Phantom fly away!

You've GOT to see this!

http://youtu.be/6c41LUKdIlI

I really do not appreciate that you post a fake fly away in my Rotorpixel thread .
We prefer to discuss the Rotorpixel gimbal here.

Thank you.

Geert.

Agreed - Post removed.

It was one of those annoying ones that folk keep reposting.
So -- this may be the wrong place but, apologies Geert, but Dewey, as you are here briefly -- is there a thread about all the new admin / mods? Be interesting to know more about the site "gods", who they are, and why they are mods, etc.....

gpauk said:
So -- this may be the wrong place but, apologies Geert, but Dewey, as you are here briefly -- is there a thread about all the new admin / mods? Be interesting to know more about the site "gods", who they are, and why they are mods, etc.....

I'm sure Geert will let this pass but I'll keep it to a single reply (so no follow up questions in here please). Simple answer is 'not yet' but there will be soon. We plan to make a forum with that will highlight forum rules in more detail and we can always put a bit of information down about ourselves to be a bit more personable (our moderating may seem robotic at times but we are all humans!). It will likely be locked down as information only though. We are all just forum goers, hobbyists of differing nature and experiance. We are all long term Phantom flyers. Sorry for this being brief... if you want more info on me (and my crazy ways) personally then the links in my signature are the key.

I think everyone thinks that is a funny one (when they first see it)....I know I did...and I'm guilty of posting it here in Geerts thread a few weeks ago...so I apologize too!

BTW Geert...my compliments for reaching 400 pages and 3994 Replies and 106,463 Views...Well done. No other thread has those kind of numbers. I'm proud to have been a part of it.

The Rookie

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart