rookie needs help to get my phantom 1 up and flying

Reaction score
My name is Jay, I’m 64 and new to the hobby. I have never flown a drone. I recently bought a Phantom 1 in excellent condition as far as I can see. I'm finding out that this is fairly old technology but think it will suit my purposes. My plan is to take this with us when my wife and I hike. Think It will be fun to see the area(s) from a birds eye view.

It did not come with a manual so I’m not sure what steps I need to take in order to get it to fly.

Do I need software in order to fly it and not lose it?

I have been watching videos and searching the internet for both flight instructions and software but I’m a little confused about the software I need to install to the drone and to the remote control.

I’m hoping that someone can tell me what software I need for both and where I can get the download(s).

It came with two batteries. I am able to charge one of them, but the charger blinks back and forth from the large red light and one of the smaller red lights. Does this mean the battery is bad?
Thank you,
Jay

My name is Jay, I’m 64 and new to the hobby. I have never flown a drone. I recently bought a Phantom 1 in excellent condition as far as I can see. I'm finding out that this is fairly old technology but think it will suit my purposes. My plan is to take this with us when my wife and I hike. Think It will be fun to see the area(s) from a birds eye view.

It did not come with a manual so I’m not sure what steps I need to take in order to get it to fly.

I have been watching videos and searching the internet for both flight instructions and software but I’m a little confused about the software I need to install to the drone and to the remote control.

I’m hoping that someone can tell me what software I need for both and where I can get the download(s).

It came with two batteries. I am able to charge one of them, but the charger blinks back and forth from the large red light and one of the smaller red lights. Does this mean the battery is bad?
Thank you,
Jay
The manual is available here: Phantom 1 - Downloads - Manuals, Software, Drivers download | DJI

Welcome Jay. The manual will be a great help and YouTube is your friend. Do a search on YouTube for Phantom 1 setup. Sometimes a video of how to do it is easier then comprehending a manual. To get you started click HERE. Best of luck and have a blast.

Hi Jay! I’m new here too. Lots of great information on here!

I’ve found everyone to be quite helpful, as the manual explains the “how too’s” but not the “what happens if..” or “wth just happened?” Lol!

I bought a pre-owned P3 SE on Saturday. I’ve only had it up 3 times, and have learned something each time. Mostly from coming back to this forum and asking questions.

Happy flying! Its going to be 70 degrees here today, you know what that means!

Later!

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Thanks for the nice introduction Jay and it's nice to put a face to the name. Wow, 70 degrees! It was 14F when I left for work this morning. Send us some of that heat, LOL. BTW, my name is Joe.

Reactions: Rodee34
That's too cold, Joe. I moved from the cold to come here. We are in for a few nice flying days here in Texas... then the cold (for us) will come.

I'm sure I'll get a batteries worth of flying in between the good days and the cold ones. lol!

Update. I've been trying to download the windows software and the NAZA software so I can configure the drone. at least I think that's what I'm supposed to do. I download both, turn the transmitter on, put a battery into the drone and connect it to my laptop with a usb cable. I'm not really sure what I need to do at this point, but I choose one of the rotor configurations and try to see if I can get them to turn. No go. I get a message that I am not connected, even though I am. I'm stumped. No clue how to proceed at this point. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
I've had a drone for 4 days - so I'm not much help. But for the folks that can help would probably need to know which model drone you have and
what kind of phone/ipad you have. Also, make sure you have installed the latest updates to your phone.

IF this helps - I got connected by having the drone battery and the controller battery 100% charged. I downloaded (to my iPhone) the app that runs my particular drone. (DJI Go)

After everything is powered on, I had to go to settings on my WiFi settings on my phone and look for the Phantom wifi. After I chose that, it took about 5 seconds, then it connected.

Try that.. (This is WAY over my pay grade.. but I thought I'd throw it out there since you need help.)

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Good point. I have a phantom 1. I must be having a senior moment. Are you controlling your drone from your phone?

I may be way off the mark, but I'm following the directions from the Naza - M V2 quick start guide. If I understand correctly, I need to download the NAZA software and windows drivers then configure my drone using the NAZA program.

in steps 2 and 3 I take it that the "autopilot system" is the Drone. The transmitter is on and the autopilot system (drone) is connected to my laptop via the USB cable. I download the Driver software and Assistant software.

Step 2 Configuration by Assistant on a PC

I power on the laptop, switch on the transmitter then the autopilot system (drone) and connect the autopilot system to the laptop and run the "assistant" software.

I'm not getting any lights in the bottom left corner of the Assistant.

Apparently there "was" an upgrade, but as of May 2018 it is no longer available.

I don't know what to try from here. I've included some snippets of the instructions I've been following.

I must be missing something. I'm hoping you guys can set me straight.

Thanks,

Jay

Attachments

• Naza.JPG
    Naza.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 678
  • Assistant Software Installation and Configuaration.JPG
    Assistant Software Installation and Configuaration.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 719
  • Step 2.JPG
    Step 2.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 622
  • Step2 continued.JPG
    Step2 continued.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 631
You are probably doing everything correctly for your drone model, probably just missing one little step. Sorry, I can’t help... I just got lucky with mine, I guess.

My controller is a hand held device that has the main control levers on it. The iPhone (6 Plus) has the DJI Go program on it (I downloaded from the App store) which reads out the altitude, speed, battery level, auto take off, RTH feature and more. I can also “see” what the camera is looking at on the phone screen. So the phone and the controller work together.

I launch the DJI Go program on my phone, power up the controller, turn the drone on, go to my phone settings and choose Phantom(whatever) as my wifi choice. Then I go back to the phone and it connects all 3 gadgets, and away I go.

Someone here can surely help you get it figured out. Good luck!

You are probably doing everything correctly for your drone model, probably just missing one little step. Sorry, I can’t help... I just got lucky with mine, I guess.

My controller is a hand held device that has the main control levers on it. The iPhone (6 Plus) has the DJI Go program on it (I downloaded from the App store) which reads out the altitude, speed, battery level, auto take off, RTH feature and more. I can also “see” what the camera is looking at on the phone screen. So the phone and the controller work together.

I launch the DJI Go program on my phone, power up the controller, turn the drone on, go to my phone settings and choose Phantom(whatever) as my wifi choice. Then I go back to the phone and it connects all 3 gadgets, and away I go.

Someone here can surely help you get it figured out. Good luck!

I don't think the Phantom 1 has the features like the more updated versions. I'll keep searching.

Cheers,

Jay

Good point. I have a phantom 1. I must be having a senior moment. Are you controlling your drone from your phone?

I may be way off the mark, but I'm following the directions from the Naza - M V2 quick start guide. If I understand correctly, I need to download the NAZA software and windows drivers then configure my drone using the NAZA program.

in steps 2 and 3 I take it that the "autopilot system" is the Drone. The transmitter is on and the autopilot system (drone) is connected to my laptop via the USB cable. I download the Driver software and Assistant software.

Step 2 Configuration by Assistant on a PC

I power on the laptop, switch on the transmitter then the autopilot system (drone) and connect the autopilot system to the laptop and run the "assistant" software.

I'm not getting any lights in the bottom left corner of the Assistant.

Apparently there "was" an upgrade, but as of May 2018 it is no longer available.

I don't know what to try from here. I've included some snippets of the instructions I've been following.

I must be missing something. I'm hoping you guys can set me straight.

Thanks,

Jay
I don't think the website works for the phantom v.1 anymore you probably just have to just use whatever firmware you have on your phantom. Just go through the celebration and start it be
as far away from trees power lines people houses till you get a feel for it . Have a copy of a manual with you read it a bunch be for you go start it the first time learn all the lights! Good luck

Thank you,
Jay
Just use the phantom quick start manual don't worry about anything else have fun

I don't think the website works for the phantom v.1 anymore you probably just have to just use whatever firmware you have on your phantom. Just go through the celebration and start it be
as far away from trees power lines people houses till you get a feel for it . Have a copy of a manual with you read it a bunch be for you go start it the first time learn all the lights! Good luck

A link someone provided earlier gets me to the PHANTOM 1 manuals, and downloads for NAZA and Windows. But since that doesn't seem to work, I think I'll just find a BIG wide open space for my first flight and start learning how to use it

Thanks

Last edited:
A link someone provided earlier gets me to the PHANTOM 1 manuals, and downloads for NAZA and Windows. But since that doesn't seem to work, I think I'll just find a BIG wide open space for my first flight and start learning how to use it

Thanks
I hope you're having fun with no problems let us know how your doing with it good luck..

I hope you're having fun with no problems let us know how your doing with it good luck..

Thanks for your help and encouragement. I was going to fly it yesterday, but the wind was up. Didn't think it was a good day for my first flight. Was going to try again today, but woke up to 4 inches of snow.

I do have another question about the mc. When I turned it on tonight, it started beeping. Sounded like morse code dot dot dash, over and over. No clue what this means. Any idea why it has started beeping?

Thanks for your help and encouragement. I was going to fly it yesterday, but the wind was up. Didn't think it was a good day for my first flight. Was going to try again today, but woke up to 4 inches of snow.

I do have another question about the mc. When I turned it on tonight, it started beeping. Sounded like morse code dot dot dash, over and over. No clue what this means. Any idea why it has started beeping?
Is it the transmitter that's beeping?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4