Rookie Mistake too

Reaction score
So admittedly I am a rookie. I have had my copter for about 8 months but have flown only about 20 times. Yesterday after capturing some nice lake footage I thought I would go over to this amphitheater and to a fly through a few times. I thought I had battery enough and even looked at the battery showing 2 bars. I made my passes getting the footage I wanted and on the last pass it happened, YEP.... low batt return to home. I was under the structure and it took off. Hit the roof and then the ground busting 3 prop guards but also damaging my camera. Not too sure how to turn that feature off yet but after I fix things that will be on the agenda before lifting off on an indoor/under cover flights.

You can turn that off in the "Advanced" --> "Battery" section of the Phantom Assistant application. Uncheck the "Go-Home" check box.

Boy I must really be brave, I'm at 20% go home. That should give me 5-6 minutes of flight time. I can cover quite a bit of distance in 5 minutes.

I head home at 40% if I'm at any significant distance, and 30% if I'm nearby.
I wouldn't turn off low battery head home, I'd simply stop flying any major missions once the battery is below 30-40%
That go home feature might cover your butt in a flyaway or like, where it might be all that makes it decide to come back.

Reactions: IrishSights
I may have to up the numbers to, in the last 3 months I have had my plane tell me it was landing due to the battery getting low. Both time was within a couple of hundred yards. One was a soft landing in a neighbors field and the other in the woods. Good that DJI incorporated the "find my Phanton" it really works in that instance. So I learned that it will not just drop out of the sky but will self land if the battery gets to low. Both time the flights were over 2 miles. Guess head winds slowed her down coming home. Think I'll go for 30%.

It's never consistent across the whole battery - 20% remaining is not even close to 20% of your total flight time remaining. LiPo batteries have a very steep discharge curve at the far end. That 20% isn't even close to 5 minutes remaining flight time.
It's tempting to stretch your flight times to the max, but you really need to consider 20% to be flat, pushing beyond that will drop fast and damage the life of the battery, and at $100+ per battery you don't want to damage them if you can avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.