Ripped off by Flying-Hobby.com, now what to do?

Reaction score
I bought a Ready to Fly FPV Phantom 2 unit from Flying-Hobby.com for my birthday over a year ago.

What they sent me was a box of junk. No batteries I paid for, no packaging, no instructions and a million miles from RTF.

So I fought the good fight with my credit card company...and lost. Seems FH has friends in high places.

So anyway, I'm dusting this junk off and trying to make it work.

First problem is it won't connect to the software and let me update. I can find an old version on the net (3.8) and it connects fine. But when I try the latest software there's no connection. Hangs on the splash screen. Win7

Next is what the heck do I use to connect the gimbal to the bird? The clear plastic pins they say to use are way too long and hit the gimbal.

Next is what do I do with the video transmitter? There's no instruction on where to place this or how to wire it in.

Same question for the iosd.

How does it work with the gopro?

Where do I get power for the skyzone goggles?

I've contacted DJI and got no response. Flying-Hobby is worthless. Hopefully their forum will do better.

Thanks in advance.

oh, and fyi: I'm a long time pilot of both airplanes and heli, building etc. I have the phantom in Phoenix and have no problems flying it.

[MOD EDIT:refrain from using racial slurs]

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Since you are working with an older model you are in luck! There is lots of the info you are seeking right here in the forum. Use the search and you will find lots of details on connecting everything. Since you are familiar with working on these it should be pretty straight forward for you.

Since you have the iOSD go to the DJI website and look at the wiring diagram. that should get you started. :)

Looks like I'm screwed at this point because the [REMOVED] software won't install.

You're not going to get the help you want with that attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, I'm not trying to get in a pissing match with anyone here.

Yea, I got butthurt by Flying-Hobby, but now that all the dust has settled it's time to see if this junk will fly.

DJI's site seems to have abandoned the P2 which is really nice. Luckily Google still remembers those links. Which I'm digging thru.

Software incompatibility I've found may require a trip back to DJI to be fixed as this was a known defect. V3.8 is the only thing that'll connect to the bird. found a spot where it says iosd requires firmware 4.x, I'm on 3.14. :(

Seems to be no documentation on where to place all these components to get the CG right either, that's a problem.

No docs I can find on the gopro either. Does it need a battery for balance? It powers on via the usb plug. Am I going to get vid out of the USB port or do I need a special cable that's not in the bucket of junk I got from FH?

Been in this hobby 30+ years and have never been treated so horribly as Flying-Hobby.com did. Never have I seen such a lack of documentation either. Or a company abandon support of a product so quickly. Clearly the time wasted fighting FH would have been better spent elsewhere. But my $2000 is gone. Oh well.

Yea, I got butthurt by Flying-Hobby, but now that all the dust has settled it's time to see if this junk will fly.

DJI's site seems to have abandoned the P2 which is really nice. Luckily Google still remembers those links. Which I'm digging thru.

Software incompatibility I've found may require a trip back to DJI to be fixed as this was a known defect. V3.8 is the only thing that'll connect to the bird. found a spot where it says iosd requires firmware 4.x, I'm on 3.14. :(

Seems to be no documentation on where to place all these components to get the CG right either, that's a problem.

No docs I can find on the gopro either. Does it need a battery for balance? It powers on via the usb plug. Am I going to get vid out of the USB port or do I need a special cable that's not in the bucket of junk I got from FH?

Been in this hobby 30+ years and have never been treated so horribly as Flying-Hobby.com did. Never have I seen such a lack of documentation either. Or a company abandon support of a product so quickly. Clearly the time wasted fighting FH would have been better spent elsewhere. But my $2000 is gone. Oh well.

Why don't you start by listing the FPV equipment by manufacture.Do you also have a zenmuse gimbal and is it a 2 0r 3 axis unit? You will iOSD software v4.0 and it has nothing to do with the P2 software v3.8 (v3.14) will explain why later. We're not flying fix wing so you don't have to worry about CG.

OK.
Bird: DJI Phantom 2 model # P330Z
Gimbal: H3-3D
Video TX: ET-58GTX-500 (this seems to be a flying-hobby specific part# as I can't find it elsewhere)
OSD: iOSD mini
Camera: GoPro Hero 3
Goggles: Skyzone (no serial number, model numbers or anything else on the goggles indicate what it is.) Goggles have antennas so I assume it's got a video rx too.
Monitor: High Definition LED Monitor (no mfgr, no numbers and no power cord.) Monitor have antennas so I assume it's got a video rx too.
and a Marco Polo

From my order confirmation
1 x Phantom 2 With H3-3D 3 Axis Gimbal Skyzone FPV Goggles Ready To Fly Combo (DJI-Phantom-FPV2) USD 1,335.00
2 x Phantom 2 / Vision Battery (DJI-PV-P1) USD 258.00
1 x Alware Pro Carry Case for DJI Phantom/ 2/ Vision (with Wheels) (ALPHCC-EE) USD 139.00
1 x 10.1" FPV Monitor Built-in Dual 32CH Receiver For FPV System (ET-FPV101DT) USD 219.00

OK.
Bird: DJI Phantom 2 model # P330Z
Gimbal: H3-3D
Video TX: ET-58GTX-500 (this seems to be a flying-hobby specific part# as I can't find it elsewhere)
OSD: iOSD mini
Camera: GoPro Hero 3
Goggles: Skyzone (no serial number, model numbers or anything else on the goggles indicate what it is.) Goggles have antennas so I assume it's got a video rx too.
Monitor: High Definition LED Monitor (no mfgr, no numbers and no power cord.) Monitor have antennas so I assume it's got a video rx too.
and a Marco Polo

From my order confirmation
1 x Phantom 2 With H3-3D 3 Axis Gimbal Skyzone FPV Goggles Ready To Fly Combo (DJI-Phantom-FPV2) USD 1,335.00
2 x Phantom 2 / Vision Battery (DJI-PV-P1) USD 258.00
1 x Alware Pro Carry Case for DJI Phantom/ 2/ Vision (with Wheels) (ALPHCC-EE) USD 139.00
1 x 10.1" FPV Monitor Built-in Dual 32CH Receiver For FPV System (ET-FPV101DT) USD 219.00

Are you here in the states? Would you be for doing this over the phone if your state side.

I bought a Ready to Fly FPV Phantom 2 unit from Flying-Hobby.com for my birthday over a year ago.

“First problem is it won't connect to the software and let me update. I can find an old version on the net (3.8) and it connects fine. But when I try the latest software there's no connection. Hangs on the splash screen. Win7.”

I assume you are talking about the assistant software found on Phantom 2 - Downloads - Manuals, Software, Drivers download | DJI? You need to download the Phantom 2 Assistant Software, the Phantom RC Assistant (this is for the remote control) and maybe the WIN Driver installer. Is this the part that is not working/installing?? There are plenty of youtube videos about how to run the software after you get it installed, but you'll need to plug in your remote control and get it set up and your bird and get it set up.

“Next is what the heck do I use to connect the gimbal to the bird? The clear plastic pins they say to use are way too long and hit the gimbal.”
I didn't use the clear plastic pins. I just used a zip tie....don't put it on too tight.

gimbal.jpg

You have questions about wiring. There are a lot of ways to wire it. When I first got mine, it was all wired using the DJI Hub package and most of these components were stuck onto the bottom of the bird with two-sided tape.

Does it look like you have a hub package?
hub.jpg

Check out the below videos:

This video shows how to physically attach the gimbal and to do an internal install. This is the way mine is set up. The H2 and the H3 gimbal are wired up the same way.

This one shows how to use a DJI hub with an external setup. It depends on if you have this hub or not

“Next is what do I do with the video transmitter? There's no instruction on where to place this or how to wire it in.”
The video transmitter is normally place anywhere it fits on the outside of the bird. See the above video to show where they mounted their video transmitter. After that, the wiring can be variable. When I first got my bird, the iOSD mini, the gimbal and the video transmitter all connected to a hub which was mounted externally on the bottom of the bird.

video.jpg

“Same question for the iosd. “
My isod mini was mounted externally into the hub, but I moved mine internally.

“How does it work with the gopro?”
Same thing. It used to connect to the hub, but now it is all internal.

"Where do I get power for the skyzone goggles?"
Can't help you with this one. Maybe a google or youtube search?

“Seems to be no documentation on where to place all these components to get the CG right either, that's a problem.”
Not sure what CG is, but it is late.

“No docs I can find on the gopro either. Does it need a battery for balance? “
No, it does not need the battery for balance. It runs from the power from the phantom into the usb port of the camera.

“It powers on via the usb plug. Am I going to get vid out of the USB port or do I need a special cable that's not in the bucket of junk I got from FH?”
You will get your video from recording to the gopro video card and then popping into your computer after the flight.

I agree with you that you need to get some software installed on your computer so you can calibrate the remote control and the bird. Let me know if you get that part accomplished.

Venting your emotions and sense of having been wronged by another is not what this forum is about so, as Jason suggested, hold back the invectives and strong language and just ask civilly and objectively for what you want or need. Revenge is not on the menu here.

Reactions: kenjancef

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj