Richmond VA drone operator needed

Reaction score
Our church youth Celebrate Recovery group, The Landing is making a video on Belle Island Sept 24th and we are in need of a drone operator willing to donate some time and expertise in our video making efforts. We would love to feed you during our picnic lunch and thank your for your consideration in helping us make this video a reality. Please contact me here if your interested. Thank you, Matthew

Reactions: dgd3
If it weren't 6 hours away I'd love to come fly there. Good luck with your search! Looks like someone will get some beautiful footage there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: BarryP
You may also put out your request on a local Facebook page or Craigs List

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Not as long its not a paying job and conducted as a hobby

"The new rules for non-hobbyist small unmanned aircraft (UAS) operations – Part 107 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (PDF) – cover a broad spectrum of commercial uses for drones weighing less than 55 pounds."

My understanding is that Money does not need be exchanged, and if the activity does not explicitly fall under part 101 then it automatically falls under part 107. This activity does not fall under part 101.

"§101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes rules governing the operation of a model aircraft (or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft) that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:
(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use"

Merriam-Webster definition of hobbies: an interest or activity engaged in for pleasure

This is how it was explained to me... So yes, for a member of the church to shoot the footage for THEIR personal consumption 101.41 would apply. As soon as the footage is used for the betterment of the church (or others) it is disqualified. The FAA doesn't seem to make any allowance in the word "strictly", and certainly no distinction with regards to church membership.

I don't agree with it, but this is what I've been told and read, the FAA is not giving ANY 'wiggle room' here. Does this activity even fall under (b)?? (it's an all or nothing)

Our church youth Celebrate Recovery group, The Landing is making a video on Belle Island Sept 24th and we are in need of a drone operator willing to donate some time and expertise in our video making efforts. We would love to feed you during our picnic lunch and thank your for your consideration in helping us make this video a reality. Please contact me here if your interested. Thank you, Matthew
I think before any further discussion occurs, what is the video being used for? If any money us to be made you will need a licensed sUAS license.

This is how it was explained to me... So yes, for a member of the church to shoot the footage for THEIR personal consumption 101.41 would apply. As soon as the footage is used for the betterment of the church (or others) it is disqualified. The FAA doesn't seem to make any allowance in the word "strictly", and certainly no distinction with regards to church membership.

I don't agree with it, but this is what I've been told and read, the FAA is not giving ANY 'wiggle room' here. Does this activity even fall under (b)?? (it's an all or nothing)
b83cee70fce3359ce68a740607c2b32e.jpg

Examples from FAA Hobby vs Commercial.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it would seem the last example proves what I've been instructed. No? I guess it depends on how the FAA defines the non-profits.

I think before any further discussion occurs, what is the video being used for? If any money us to be made you will need a licensed sUAS license.

Indeed this is a very gray area to be sure. I do believe they consider donations as money. So if the video is going to promote in any way and thus lead to possible donation, I think (by what I've been told), it's disqualified.

After doing a quick search, it appears the FAA does not make a distinction between non-profit and commercial, as it looks like a 107 is currently required for Search and Rescue among other not_for_profit operations.

Flying your own drone for yourself is considered a hobby. Requesting someone to fly for you and using the pictures for anything other than personal pilots use the FAA requires the pilot to have an airman's part 107 certificate. No matter how anyone wants to reason on it that's the rules. We just received our temporary airman's certificate today. The test is not easy if you're brand new to the business. We offer to help anyone interested in passing the test.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Really? Can you provide a link to this quote?
Deleted post. The previous statement I made is voided due to part 107 and exemption 333. You can not receive any monetary reimbursement, unless it was for search & rescue emergency.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

That last one has to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Our garden is about .4 miles from the house and I have thought about using Swarm to have a peek at it to check for weeding or watering needs.

Of course there are trees and city between me and there and I get nervous thinking about that flight path.

Look at it like this...

a) Would the person be flying that anyway and just "happen" to capture some pics and video they like? NO then commercial
b) would the end product (video and/or pics) be used to further a business in any way? YES then commercial

Either of those questions point to it being potentially "Commercial in nature". At the end of the day the FAA and only the FAA can say 100% for sure but my bet would be it is commercial as it's well outside of "hobby/recreational" use.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic