Review of Galaxy Tab S3 for controlling drones

Reaction score
OK, I went through a lot of research before deciding to buy a particular Tablet for my P4P. I had a Galaxy Tab 4, that seemed to work well enough, but the screen was not so good outside.

I looked at Ipads and other options, but it seems a few of those have been problematic lately. So I looked at the Galaxy Tab S3 9.7", that Verizon had in stock. The fact that DJI chose to use Android for their operation system was a factor in my decision.

The Galaxy Tab S3, is a pretty powerful tablet, with an excellent screen that can do 4k playback, which I thought would be handy. It can accept a 256 gig Micro SD Card for expansion, so a lot of room too. 15 oz and quite thin, with glass on both front and rear, it looks very nice.

First, it links to the P4P, no problem. Updates have all gone smoothly with no issues. The autolink feature is rather nice, just plug in the RC and the DJI Go 4 loads up and connects.

The screen is bright, 500+ nits, it is sharp and contrast is excellent. In the sun, no sun shade, you can see the screen well. I can see with detail, the video and fly normally, without too much glare. The battery lasts at least 12 hours, that is while playing 4, video continuously, so battery life is not an issue.

It has Compass, GPS and Cellular, 4G, so good strong connections. The Android 7 system is solid, easy to navigate and up to date.

It plays 4k video great, with wonderful colors and contrast. It is one of the best screens I have ever had, on a tablet or laptop.

IT is fast enough to not lag or delay, the screen video play is smooth and perfect. The touch screen is sensitive and responsive, making it easy to use in the sun or shade.

So far, I can not say enough good about his Tablet, video is wonderful, sound is Quad-Surround and excellent, battery life is off the charts. It is not cheap, about $700, but I got it as an upgrade to my Tab 4, so it just cost about $25 a month to pay for it, added to the Verizon bill.

Reactions: MaxHam
OK, I went through a lot of research before deciding to buy a particular Tablet for my P4P. I had a Galaxy Tab 4, that seemed to work well enough, but the screen was not so good outside.

I looked at Ipads and other options, but it seems a few of those have been problematic lately. So I looked at the Galaxy Tab S3 9.7", that Verizon had in stock. The fact that DJI chose to use Android for their operation system was a factor in my decision.

The Galaxy Tab S3, is a pretty powerful tablet, with an excellent screen that can do 4k playback, which I thought would be handy. It can accept a 256 gig Micro SD Card for expansion, so a lot of room too. 15 oz and quite thin, with glass on both front and rear, it looks very nice.

First, it links to the P4P, no problem. Updates have all gone smoothly with no issues. The autolink feature is rather nice, just plug in the RC and the DJI Go 4 loads up and connects.

The screen is bright, 500+ nits, it is sharp and contrast is excellent. In the sun, no sun shade, you can see the screen well. I can see with detail, the video and fly normally, without too much glare. The battery lasts at least 12 hours, that is while playing 4, video continuously, so battery life is not an issue.

It has Compass, GPS and Cellular, 4G, so good strong connections. The Android 7 system is solid, easy to navigate and up to date.

It plays 4k video great, with wonderful colors and contrast. It is one of the best screens I have ever had, on a tablet or laptop.

IT is fast enough to not lag or delay, the screen video play is smooth and perfect. The touch screen is sensitive and responsive, making it easy to use in the sun or shade.

So far, I can not say enough good about his Tablet, video is wonderful, sound is Quad-Surround and excellent, battery life is off the charts. It is not cheap, about $700, but I got it as an upgrade to my Tab 4, so it just cost about $25 a month to pay for it, added to the Verizon bill.
If I was gonna drop $700 on a tablet I would've went with the 1000 nit CrystalSky display, I'm waiting for the release of the 2000 nit
500 nit ain't bright enough

Well, I don't want a proprietary system, I want to be able to run what ever app I want. Can't do that with the Crystal Sky.
As for the brightness, both me and the wife found this tablet to be quite easy to see under direct sunlight.

Well, I don't want a proprietary system, I want to be able to run what ever app I want. Can't do that with the Crystal Sky.
As for the brightness, both me and the wife found this tablet to be quite easy to see under direct sunlight.

I agree with the CrystalSky you won't have mobile service w/o using your mobile device as a hotspot. Plus a lot of people are using drones & Periscope together. Which you can't do because CrystalSky probably won't allow you to side load apps. My P4P+ is that way. I have to use my phone as a hotspot to broadcast on Facebook or Twitter. When I do use my phone as a hotspot the video isn't as clear & smooth.

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
I agree with the CrystalSky you won't have mobile service w/o using your mobile device as a hotspot. Plus a lot of people are using drones & Periscope together. Which you can't do because CrystalSky probably won't allow you to side load apps. My P4P+ is that way. I have to use my phone as a hotspot to broadcast on Facebook or Twitter. When I do use my phone as a hotspot the video isn't as clear & smooth.
Good information

I am currently using the Samsung Tab s2. It's been wonderful so far. I have had my eye on the S3 for awhile now. I think I might stop into bestbuy this week. Thanks for the review bud. ;]

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
I am currently using the Samsung Tab s2. It's been wonderful so far. I have had my eye on the S3 for awhile now. I think I might stop into bestbuy this week. Thanks for the review bud. ;]
Glad to help.
Just got b back from flying, starting a video of our bike path. Went about 1/2 mile up the path, some footage with bicycle riders. All worked perfectly.

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4