reusing a phantom 1 transmitter

Reaction score
Question: I see the phantom 1 receiver for sale some times pretty cheap. Can this receiver be used in a quad I am building to make use of a spare p1 transmiter I have?

I left a phantom 1 on the bottom of the gulf of Mexico and still have the transmitter. I now have a p2 and am very happy with it, but I wanted the experience of building a quad from scratch. I've printed up the frame, and mounted the motors, ESC, and props (E300), but I am on a very tight budget (leash). A am squirreling away for a Naza v2/GPS, but that still leaves me needing rx/tx. I would like to delay purchasing a good rx/tx like the T8J, so I thought I might try getting one of those p1 receivers and reuse the p1 tx, since it has no other goal in life.

Anyone got experience or opinion about something like this?

Charlie

I think you should be able to make good use of that TX. No reason why it wouldn't bind to your new receiver.

It should work, IF the Tx and Rx are from the same model of P1. The 1.1.1 had D-Bus Transmitter/Receiver, but models before that (1.2, 1.1, etc) have a PPM Tx/Rx. You just can't mix PPM and D-bus when matching the Phantom radio gear.

OI Photography said:
It should work, IF the Tx and Rx are from the same model of P1. The 1.1.1 had D-Bus Transmitter/Receiver, but models before that (1.2, 1.1, etc) have a PPM Tx/Rx. You just can't mix PPM and D-bus when matching the Phantom radio gear.

Is that why the older Tx models are SR6 and the newer ones DJ6?

I am building a waterproof quad. I will use the transmitter from a Phantom 1.1.1
I purchased a matching receiver. I will not be using a NAZA flight controller. As far as I understand this should not be a problem.

Woody said:
OI Photography said:

I believe that's right, but I'm not 100% sure.

syotr said:
I am building a waterproof quad. I will use the transmitter from a Phantom 1.1.1
I purchased a matching receiver. I will not be using a NAZA flight controller. As far as I understand this should not be a problem.

As long as your FC accepts S-Bus input you should be fine, and I think I read that you'll be using the Vector which is compatible. The only thing you may run in to (I haven't confirmed this yet) is that only 6 channels are sent on the S-bus connection (the one that was plugged in to X2 on the NAZA) and that may mean your gimbal tilt control (the X1 connection) won't be seen by the Vector.

My tx is DJ6 and I am almost 100% sure that it was D-Bus in Naxa Assistant, and I know the p1 was v 1.1.1. So this is all consistent with what you all are saying.

Just found that my source for the receiver has dried up. I am now searching for the DJI Part 31. syotr, is that the one you bought? Can I ask where you got it from? Yesterday I found a few and today the same ones say "out of stock"

DJI Part 31 is the 2 antenna v1.1.1 RX. AS I have posted before, there is a faulty batch out there- they do not bind correctly.

This maybe why stock is being withdrawn. So buy from a source with an easy refund route.

crchisholm said:
My tx is DJ6 and I am almost 100% sure that it was D-Bus in Naxa Assistant, and I know the p1 was v 1.1.1. So this is all consistent with what you all are saying.

Just found that my source for the receiver has dried up. I am now searching for the DJI Part 31. syotr, is that the one you bought? Can I ask where you got it from? Yesterday I found a few and today the same ones say "out of stock"
I purchased from gonitrohobbies on Ebay. Quick delivery from the US. Have not tested it yet.

OI Photography said:
Woody said:
OI Photography said:

I believe that's right, but I'm not 100% sure.

syotr said:

As long as your FC accepts S-Bus input you should be fine, and I think I read that you'll be using the Vector which is compatible. The only thing you may run in to (I haven't confirmed this yet) is that only 6 channels are sent on the S-bus connection (the one that was plugged in to X2 on the NAZA) and that may mean your gimbal tilt control (the X1 connection) won't be seen by the Vector.
The receiver has two servo cables. One is the S-bus, the other is for gimbal tilt control. I will be testing with a NAZA lite before I install the Vector FC.

syotr said:
The receiver has two servo cables. One is the S-bus, the other is for gimbal tilt control.

Exactly, I was just worried that might keep the X1 channel from being usable on the Vector. The NAZA will accept X1 input through the S-bus or through the X1 port (even if S-bus is used for the other channels). I don't know if the Vector will do S-bus + separate channel input at the same time.

However, if the gimbal you're using has direct tilt control input then it really doesn't matter and you should be able to connect the X1 output on the receiver directly to the gimbal.

AS for the NAZA lite, I'll be interested to hear your results with that, I didn't think it would do X1 at all but I could very well be wrong on that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl