Return To Home

Reaction score
I feel bad asking this but I' wondering if you are flying a drone, and you activate the Return To Home, does the drone turn itself around facing toward you going home, or will it just fly in reverse on the way home.
Do I have turn the drone around using the left stick, or do I use the right stick?
I' rather be safe than sorry being I am new to flying a drone.

I feel bad asking this but I' wondering if you are flying a drone, and you activate the Return To Home, does the drone turn itself around facing toward you going home, or will it just fly in reverse on the way home.
Do I have turn the drone around using the left stick, or do I use the right stick?

It turns towards you.
You can set the controls so that either stick can be used to turn. Mine is set so that the left stick is up/down and spin right/left. The right stick is forward/back and left/right. Just my preference.
That's mode 2. Mode 1 reverses the controls.

Last edited:
When Return to Home button is activated, the AC pauses and turns to face the home position and proceeds at about 20 mph until it reaches the home position. You don’t need to turn the AC, this is autonomous.

RTH is one of the most important things to understand for flying your Phantom.
There are 3 pages about it in the manual.
The time you need it or the first time it activates by itself is not the time to start learning.

Do your RTH reading and go to a large open area and experiment with it to find out how it works and how to cancel and resume control.
And you have to send it out more than 20 metres to try RTH.

As others have noted the AC turns and orientates itself in a straight line back to its home point, this has a secondary advantage, if you have lost orientation you can initiate RTH, and then cancel it 5 seconds later and fly back manually, knowing you are going the right way.
For a difficult return home, some people like to engage sport mode, and lower their altitude to find lighter headwinds, this is easier after the rth has lined up the AC for you.

So in essence, the left stick raises and lowers altitude, and rotates the camera left or right, and the right stick makes the drone more forward and reverse, and turns the drone left or right.
I have always heard you could turn your drone with the left stick.

So in essence, the left stick raises and lowers altitude, and rotates the camera left or right, and the right stick makes the drone more forward and reverse, and turns the drone left or right.
I have always heard you could turn your drone with the left stick.
The left stick doesn't rotate the camera, it rotates the drone. It changes the heading. The camera comes along for the ride. The right stick moves the drone forward and backward and to the right and left without changing the heading. Make sense?
That's assuming your drone is in mode 2, which I believe is the default.

I found an educational sight on YOU TUBE.
It's called:
HOW TO FLY A DRONE (and not crash) in 4k by Tony & Chelsea Nortrup.
Answered all my questions I had about flying.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT