Reporting Unlicensed Pilots

Reaction score
Am I wrong to think a company operating their business, providing drone services without a 107, should be reported?

Company near me does drone work, their website says "Provides registered drone services".. misleading to the average person, but obvious to a 107 pilot, they are full of it.

Looked up all their operators on the FAA database, none are on there... they cornered the market by offering their service for almost nothing, because its packaged into their other service.

Would you guys report?

• Haha
Reactions: Squirrel!
The FAA actually expects us to "Police our community" so yes... IMHO I say Absolutely YES!

But be warned... that DB isn't' always 100% correct. I know for a period of time I wasn't in the SEARCH results and I've had my license (manned) since 1998. We couldn't find my name anywhere for several months and one day BINGO it was there.

I'd go ahead and drop a dime on them anyway and let the FAA sort it out regardless.

Don't spend a lot of time or effort worrying about it though... they could easily spend a few days studying and get their 107. It's not a market differentiater because the license is so easy and cheap to get. Report them and then move on creating a better product that will justify your added cost.

Am I wrong to think a company operating their business, providing drone services without a 107, should be reported?

Company near me does drone work, their website says "Provides registered drone services".. misleading to the average person, but obvious to a 107 pilot, they are full of it.

Looked up all their operators on the FAA database, none are on there... they cornered the market by offering their service for almost nothing, because its packaged into their other service.

Would you guys report?
No - but I think that, rightly or wrongly, I possibly worry much less about such matters than you seem to. :)

No - but I think that, rightly or wrongly, I possibly worry much less about such matters than you seem to. :)

Its not that I worry about it, but I equate it to someone claiming to be a licensed tradesman, and undercutting competiton who did it the legal way.

I agree with BigAl... I'm just going to beat them out with quality, but still gets frustrating when people cheat the system... I guess it's the military in me.

Its not that I worry about it, but I equate it to someone claiming to be a licensed tradesman, and undercutting competiton who did it the legal way.

I agree with BigAl... I'm just going to beat them out with quality, but still gets frustrating when people cheat the system... I guess it's the military in me.

For the record:

1) I've been turned in to the FAA for not having the proper credentials (of course I did) and they did contact me and did a phone interview. Went great because I had MORE than what is required. I'm pretty sure it was a new Drone Service Provider to the area trying to weed-out the competition but it didn't work... and they ended up going out of business on their own... KARMA maybe?

2) I have turned in other operators who operated "outside" of the regulations.

I think most businesses suffer from unlicensed competitors. We had to do the same thing as charter captains. We were always being undercut by unlicensed operators. No new licenses are being issued so you have to buy one from an existing charter captain. Some didn’t even have captains licenses. Sold my charter license for 25K. Coast Guard asked us for names because they only walked the marinas four times a year. License check and piss test. Many illegals worked out of private docks. It was up to us to police it so we did, but it took a lot of effort. It Never ends.
Have fun fly safe.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Ah - you failed to mention that you are also 'in the business' in your first post - that's quite relevant IMHO...

To report or not does not hinge on "if you're credentialed or not".

It would seem that was the intent of the OP. I read it that way, at least. And no I'm only a recreational flyer, not a pilot. But I'd report them in a heartbeat.
What - you mean like 'Bring back hanging!'? (Please..... I'm a licenced hangman)? :)

For sure if I was in the business and I was losing out, then I also would report...

@BigAl07 If I was losing out on my income it would...

Just my take on this, FWIW....If you're breaking the law to help someone in need, and they aren't doing something illegal, requiring your help, then who cares?
If you're breaking the law to further your business, while others are doing all they can to make it while obeying the laws, then they should be reported. May be a bit simplistic, but that's how I think.

Well, since you brought it up...
Bring back hanging? Absofrigginlootly! Adopt some other cultures' punishments for stealing where you lose a hand for the first offense. Not likely to commit the same crime twice, huh? Illegal isn't the same as immoral. Our society has decided that if it feels right, it must be right. That's wrong. Morality is a rapidly diminishing commodity in our society.

Would you guys report?
Focus on your customers, not your competitors.

I’d say yes, report them. Hurts the business for all ( I am licensed and on my second recurring). It is not a huge deal for them to get their license, so play the game and get one or pay the piper.
I’m not a doctor, but I have played one in a treehouse. Can I get a license for that?

Reactions: Shoot4fun
The problem (for me) is you can't rely on a web page/site for contemporary data. (@BigAl07 )
The crux of your suspicion.

Even a US Gov't one!!!

Take C- Mike's advice and just move forward unless there is more evidence or some future event which confirms your belief.

All 107 pilots are in the database. The crux is that the search system is flawed. The page is here: FAA Registry - Airmen - AirmenInquiry - Name Search

If a 107 Pilot has asked for his personal information to be removed (address), and you add any part of that address to the search query, they don't show up.

For instance, I have my person data removed. Below are two examples of what happens if you search me. One is with "Colorado" included, and one is without.

And the search is limited to 50 entries, so if you have a name like "John Smith", you won't be able to find it without more info, like Cert number.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 7.55.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 7.55.18 AM.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 7.55.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 7.55.01 AM.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 154
The FAA actually expects us to "Police our community" so yes... IMHO I say Absolutely YES!

But be warned... that DB isn't' always 100% correct. I know for a period of time I wasn't in the SEARCH results and I've had my license (manned) since 1998. We couldn't find my name anywhere for several months and one day BINGO it was there.

I'd go ahead and drop a dime on them anyway and let the FAA sort it out regardless.

Don't spend a lot of time or effort worrying about it though... they could easily spend a few days studying and get their 107. It's not a market differentiater because the license is so easy and cheap to get. Report them and then move on creating a better product that will justify your added cost.

I agree. (1) I feel all commercial pilots should be certified and (2) photography and cinematography is an art where artist can be easily differentiated. Of course, some can’t tell good “photographic art” from bad or don’t care. You need to avoid that type of customer.

I encountered an "unlicensed competitor" locally a few months back, advertising and creating admittedly good work for real estate listings.

He didn't really seem to erode my own business, but I did inform the local board of Realtors (association of agents that controls multiple listings, etc). I suggested the Board put a little note on their online bulletins to "ask if FAA - licensed" before hiring a drone pilot, and also to mention the potential fine up to $12,000 for the hiring party. I DID point out that fines were very unlikely unless there is a significant accident or damage bringing attention to the FAA. Note: It is kind of weird that the fine is far greater to the hiring party than to the pilot.

The other guy - in spite of good photos - has disappeared. Maybe he is off somewhere, studying for Part 107.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor