Replacing motors before they fail?

Reaction score
Since a failed motor during flight almost guarantees a big expense does anyone replace them after a certain number of flights (or flight time)? I have a total of about 35 miles (60km) worth of air time on my P3P - that's a long way to fly with those motors and I wonder if it's prudent to replace them at some point before one of them gives up the ghost during flight.

Reaction score
i got over 175 miles on my P4, my buddy owns a P3P and he has over 550 miles on his...i wonder the same thing about em...read they last a long time...time will tell i guess

Reactions: Dounin Front
Reaction score
The only components in the motor subject to wear are the bearings.

Simple manual manipulation (checking for end float and axial play) will give a good indication of bearing condition.

Electrical faults are unlikely unless the motors have been operated in a locked rotor condition, i.e obstructed while attempting to run stuck in a tree or performing the inverted chicken dance on the ground after a crash or tip over. Feel the motor bodies after a flight, if the AC is performing as expected and they all feel similar in temp and not excessively hot after a run all is good.

Reaction score
Over 400 miles on my P3P. Still flies like new! I started using a second set of props at the 300 mile mark just because they were cheap, I don't even think it was necessary.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cherry