Replacements from DJI??

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to ask if anyone out there has had a problem with a DJI drone and sent it back to DJI in California and been told by DJI that your drone is 'unrepairable'.
And been told that DJI will be shipping you a replacement.

I would like to find out what you got back as a replacement for the drone you sent in?

Based on DJI's policy, they are under no obligation to replace your malfunctioning drone with a new one.

I'm hoping that DJI treats incoming drone repairs on a 'case by case' basis.
Because they should.
If you had a well used 7 month old Phantom 4 with some scratches on it and it was sent to DJI for repair and they decided to replace it, then it wouldn't be fair to DJI that you should expect to receive a new one in return.
You should get back a used one in pretty much the same condition as the one you sent in.

But, if you had a 3 month old Phantom 4 in mint condition and it was sent in to DJI for repair and DJI decided to replace it, then you should receive a new one back.......it wouldn't be fair to you to get a used one as a replacement.

I'd like to hear from people on this.......

Thanks.......

I've never had DJI replace a drone but of the hundreds of posts I've read on the subject DJI treats its customers fairly. As with any mass merchant it's often cheaper to send you a like-new replacement no matter what shape yours was in.

I've never had DJI replace a drone but of the hundreds of posts I've read on the subject DJI treats its customers fairly. As with any mass merchant it's often cheaper to send you a like-new replacement no matter what shape yours was in.
Thanks very much for your reply.

I've always found DJI to be very good in my dealings with them.
My new replacement should arrive by Friday.

I sent my P4 back to DJI for warranty work because it had airframe cracks. I didn't ask questions, but went through the return process on their site. I can't remember exactly, but I think it arrived back about 3 weeks later. I say "it" in reference to it being a P4, but it wasn't the original P4 I had sent them. It appeared to be new, since it had some stickers still on it.

There was no explanation...just a new bird, so I wasn't complaining, especially since it holds a horizon better than the original one.

I just received my replacement P4 back from DJI today.
It's new and, if it has been flown, it's been flown once or twice.........not a scratch on it.

DJI sent me back my original controller.

When I asked DJI representatives from their repair department what was specifically wrong with the P4 that I sent in for repair, they couldn't tell me.

Just that it was deemed to be 'unrepairable' and that it was being replaced.

I originally sent my P4 in to them via UPS on October 16th.

I had my replacement on my doorstep on November 7th.

That's how long it took.

I had mine sent off due to a heavy crash in march. Came back looking new. Serial number on drone was different so not sure if it was a new drone or just a new shell with another serial number on it. But it cane back perfect and only costs £90 to get it fixed. Camera snapped off, shell was wrecked, landing gear cover popped off, ribbon cable snapped. Funny thing is... The repair was £50 and the parts was £40 lol. I would have done it myself but I didn't know what the names of the parts are to order.

So the serial number on the shell is different so it may be a new shell, but DJI are known to just swap a broken drone with a drone that's all ready repaired to cut down waiting time. I don't mind at all. A drone is a drone.

I heard from a guy who lost his drone in the ocean, DJI offered him 15% discount on a new one. Sounds fair to me

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Yes, I feel that DJI treated me fairly, although I wish they could tell me specifically what it was that resulted in my drone being considered 'unrepairable'.

I also find it very strange that others(apparently) have not had the same problem that I experienced:

One day my P4 stopped being able to accept any firmware upgrades......

Left me wondering if there was a batch of P4s that had problems............

I bought my first P4 in September 2016. It flew fine, but it had a near constant, tilted horizon. I pretty much just lived with it, and if - for some reason - the horizon was level on a particular day, that seemed like a bonus... Around May 2017, I began getting intermittent VPS errors on startup - that soon became constant - so off it went to CA for a look-see. It took just shy of one month to get a replacement, and it turns out, they sent me a brand new unit. Evidentially, the refurbished units have an "R" at the beginning or end of the serial number, and they are marked "Refurbished" on the box. Mine had neither. When I ran the S/N through a lookup tool that someone posted here awhile back, it showed that it was manufactured in January 2017, which I'm pretty sure this was one of the last batches that they made. With the latest firmware all around, it flies perfectly, and the horizon is also perfectly straight all the time. I have heard some real horror stories about DJI's service, but in my case, it was flawless.

Reactions: Neon Euc
I just checked and the website for checking the serial is now pulled down unfortunately [emoji33]

I bought my first P4 in September 2016. It flew fine, but it had a near constant, tilted horizon. I pretty much just lived with it, and if - for some reason - the horizon was level on a particular day, that seemed like a bonus... Around May 2017, I began getting intermittent VPS errors on startup - that soon became constant - so off it went to CA for a look-see. It took just shy of one month to get a replacement, and it turns out, they sent me a brand new unit. Evidentially, the refurbished units have an "R" at the beginning or end of the serial number, and they are marked "Refurbished" on the box. Mine had neither. When I ran the S/N through a lookup tool that someone posted here awhile back, it showed that it was manufactured in January 2017, which I'm pretty sure this was one of the last batches that they made. With the latest firmware all around, it flies perfectly, and the horizon is also perfectly straight all the time. I have heard some real horror stories about DJI's service, but in my case, it was flawless.
Thanks for that tip about refurbished units having a ' R ' at the beginning or the end of the serial number.

Mine does not have an 'R', so I guess it is a new one.

I just checked and the website for checking the serial is now pulled down unfortunately [emoji33]
If anyone out there finds a link to the Phantom 4 serial numbers, please post it.

Im sure there are many of us out there who would like to obtain information about their P4s.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3