Replacement battery for P3A controller?

Rip

Reaction score
My P3A controller battery won't charge to 4 lights, common issue apparently. I'd like to swap the battery before sending it away for repair as the repair place want upwards of £100 to just to change the battery. I know replacement batteries are not officially available from DJI but I also know people on the forum have bough and fitted alternatives, so can anyone in the UK who's done this share with me which exact battery you bought?

The battery is a 6000mAh 2S LiPo ....

Seems some people make a real mash of sorting it !! See this guy :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nigel

If you look through that youtube video as well as others .... that should help you a lot.

I get impression that there may be a small board in the LiPo ... according to one post in that video ... Its worth spending a while watching various YT vids to get a good overall sense of the work.

The LiPo itself is a common 2S 6000 jobbie ... not much you can do on that ... the matter is whether there is a control board inside the heat shrink creating the 4 pin plug instead of the usual 3 pin + 2 pin power. As to C rating .... you don't need high rating at all ... 10C is fine ...

Lets see some more videos and see what we can get from them.

Nigel

Interesting ...

I'm still searching / looking !

Nigel

I'm really surprised no one has found suitable batteries, fitted the right connectors and marketed them in eBay as spare replacements for Phantom controllers.

OK .. this guy seems to get it down pat ...

Part 1 : Details and explanation of the battery and its split board :

Part 2 : Showing a battery used without the board and how to create the 4 pin connection ...

Excellent !

I know what I will be doing when my Controller battery fails !!

Nigel

I'm really surprised no one has found suitable batteries, fitted the right connectors and marketed them in eBay as spare replacements for Phantom controllers.

As you'll come to realise - there are a lof of DJI owners who are paranoid about non DJI items .... DJI basically in my view knows this, feeds it and therefore derives profit from it.

Same as BMW and so on with their scare tactics about non brand items ....

Nigel

As you'll come to realise - there are a lof of DJI owners who are paranoid about non DJI items .... DJI basically in my view knows this, feeds it and therefore derives profit from it.

Same as BMW and so on with their scare tactics about non brand items ....

Nigel
The only thing I trust for OEM brand is the aircraft battery, because it has been tested that non OEM batteries failed more quickly than OEM batteries.

The only thing I trust for OEM brand is the aircraft battery, because it has been tested that non OEM batteries failed more quickly than OEM batteries.

Sorry I must contest that statement ... there is no reasion for a LiPo cell to fail quicker than another considering they are of same construction / base materials. I agree that there are cheap and not cheap - but considering that all DJI owners I fly with have only average 1 DJI battery each and ALL other batterys are non DJI ... and ALL report same performance - cannot be just coincidence or luck.

Tested ...... ??

I see a number of videos that guys claim to provide results - but actually get shot down in flames when people post questions / reasons for problems ....

Anyway - this thread is about Controller battery which is a basic 2S low C rate 6000 LiPo its cells double connected to a 4 pin board plug.... via a redundant board.

Nigel

OK .. this guy seems to get it down pat ...

Part 1 : Details and explanation of the battery and its split board :

Part 2 : Showing a battery used without the board and how to create the 4 pin connection ...

Excellent !

I know what I will be doing when my Controller battery fails !!

Nigel

Hmm, nice find, so basically for around £20 I can buy the same battery, add the connector from the DJI battery and it'll charge and behave like normal (allbeit less flight time due to lower mah).

LiPo's are fatter / heavier as the C rating goes up as well as with capacity.

Guy used a relatively high C rating for replacement ... if you look for a lower C rating ... it should be cheaper and also higher capacity for same physical size.

One thing I like with replacing with 'generic' battery and he did it ... KEEP the balance lead intact ... if you don't mind modifying the controller case ... you could have that exiting the case to provide full proper balance function. In fact you can buy chargers that only use balance lead on 2S / 3S packs ... but they are slow chargers.
The fact that DJI have basically made that board redundant by way they connected plug ... means that battery is not properly balanced at any time ... its impossible if leads are connected that way.

But with the replacement --- bingo ... balance lead. You could even connect controller charge port and also balance lead to a proper LiPo charger and have both functions as with a standard LiPo setup.

Nigel

TBH I just want a plug and play replacement battery, that's it. This controller is probably going on eBay anyway providing I can fit a new battery to help cover the cost of the brand new one I had to buy when this one packed up.

Last edited:
I found a used genuine battery for sale in the UK for £30 so I bought it, it has a 3 month warranty so hopefully it'll be OK.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Fingers crossed .....

Nigel

Something else must be wrong with my controller, both the old battery in the used battery I bought stop charging at 1 light. Looks like I'll have to send the controller for repair!

Sorry to hear ....

Me ? - I'd convert one battery to charge from normal LiPo charger ... and see if controller powers up OK ...

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers