Replaced Shell and now ESC Error for all motors... Anyone else

Reaction score
Hi,
Hope someone can assist. had a bad landing some months ago and taped up the broken landing gear. Ordered new shell and landing gear. While waiting for the new parts she flew fine perhaps 4 times and had a firmware update request that I ignored. New body arrived, I meticulously replaces the shell, top and bottom, de-soldered all 12 terminals of the 4 motors at the central unit. Replaced and all went well. Looks like brand new..

Initialized indoors with no blades, the 4 will normally spin the motors and shut down (this is normal) however not the case here. Stated I had a ESC Status Error and to restart. I did this three times no luck. The Overall status shows that <1NO.ESC Error>, <2No.ESC Error>, <3No. Esc Error> and <4No.Esc error>.
Furthermore the firmware update comes up (as expected) and compass calibration- This did not come up earlier. Recall she was flying fine until I opened the shell to replace the upper and lower.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any advice?

Thanks There!
Erik in NJ

Attachments

• IMG_4285.PNG
    IMG_4285.PNG
    4.8 MB · Views: 488
Update, I think I may have caused the problem by replacing the screws on the motor before putting the body back together. I saw that this was an error and then removed all sets of screws (all 4 motors) could this have damaged the motor coils? Is there anyway of testing this? Thanks

Yes. Some have been able to look into the motor through the mount holes and see the scuffed coil wires.

Does it produces the initial chime sounds of the motors.
If not :
You need to reopen the shell and check your soldering for electric continuity.
In fact they made soldering of the motor challenging.

Welcome e to the forum!

We frequently see people who damage their motors when they insert screws into the windings. Most often its when they remove prop guards and then insert the longer screws back into the motors. We routinely warn about this here on the forum.

If you reinserted screws before assembly as you noted, there's a good chance that you've accidentally damaged the motors.

Thank You Phantom Pilots, Appreciated. Ill take a look at the motors later. Man, how frustrating!
Thanks Again and Happy Holidays..

I know you are beyond this point now, But when I swapped shells, top & bottom, everything came out connected, NO soldering was required. Motors only required removal from shell by screws & installation to new shell..
Sorry for your troubles.
I'm not getting why you unsoldered at the board?

I know you are beyond this point now, But when I swapped shells, top & bottom, everything came out connected, NO soldering was required. Motors only required removal from shell by screws & installation to new shell..
Sorry for your troubles.
I'm not getting why you unsoldered at the board?
Thanks for asking this. I was also wondering about it.

Reactions: Phantom2USA
Just an update, the issue is indeed that the motor mounting screws corrupted the motor coils so all four I assume are shorted out.. thanks for the advice.

In regards to unsoldering at the board, I thought that the motor wires travelled through the arms at the mounting point so you would need to unsolder. I could be incorrect as it was some days ago.. but yes frustrating..

Hey NJ_Phantom4... You'll make it thru for sure..You've made the best decision for future success in joining this forum.

In the future watch several video's, glean information, process, & procedure from all, you'll note some folks doing things differently.
I like to read again & again & then kind of go thru a dry run, talking yourself thru the procedure..doing it in your head first.
Repairs & mods can be very costly if muffed up...
Look for the regulars on this forum, the ones that are here everyday with the answers, you'll see em......Ask.. They won't let you down..
Again, welcome aboard. Merry Christmas

Reactions: shammel00
Yepp! My story:-(
Replaced shell and mounted engine scews before placing topshell. It looked like brand new but crippled because those screws penetrated the coil wires. I could feel the friction already before starting. Got ESC error as well and after few cursing words i ordered new engines. This mistake will never be made again.

Bummer story man. But... that’s how I got my p3p for $100. The previous owner had prop guards on and pulled them to fit it in the box. When he replaced the screws he used the long ones for the guards not the shorter stock screws, all four motors died. THEN, when he replaced the motors he did not realize the wires in the p3p had an enamel insulation on them so the solder did not take. The poor guy was super frustrated and told me to come get the thin for $100.
Moral of the story, don’t run screws into your motor windings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj