Repair dilemma

Reaction score
I purchased a phantom 2 from B&H photo on a sale for a reconditioned unit. I paid $349. The catch was there was no warranty as it is. I jumped in and took the risk. I started out great and simple but had a rough encounter with the tree. it was my fault. after that the GPS lights would not come on any would not read the battery as a DJ DJ I model. I thought it was a bad cable from the connection pins to the board and replaced it myself. that seemed to work but right away it was very intermittent sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. so I sent off the unit to drone fly for repair. their deal is $99.00 for all the labor to repair and evaluate the unit. then if you need parts you have to pay them that too. Arrived yesterday at drone fly and they called me right away. but the news was not good it looks like the nav system is busted. $229.00 for replacement. the dilemma is to pay and keep going or have them send it back part it out and go from there.

I think I have a big case of drone fever and I'm going to throw more money down the DJI Trail. Anyone have any thoughts or alternatives?

You're $349 deep right now $579 if you repair it. You could've bought a new one for $490. I would part it out and go for a new one if your monetary situation allows. Or better yet, buy a new one and keep that one for parts.

Just my opinion, so take it as that much.

It wouldn't have made a difference if you had warranty in your case. Sound more like Drone Fly was taking advantage of your lack of knowledge.

I have not had good experiences with DroneFly.

Think about what you want in the end. If you want a drone with a camera that shoots good video, I recommend you go for it. Spend the thousand bucks. If you half-step it little by little, you'll spend more in the long run.

You're $349 deep right now $579 if you repair it. You could've bought a new one for $490. I would part it out and go for a new one if your monetary situation allows. Or better yet, buy a new one and keep that one for parts.

Just my opinion, so take it as that much.

I agree with you here. Buy a new one and use this one for parts. In the future, turn to a good set of forums, like this one or RCGroups, and ask for advice on a good repair shop. I've not read a lot of glowing reports about DroneFly.

Well I laid out the cash. so far so good with dealing with drone fly. There is always this dark voice in my head about repair people. It whispers in my ear they are always overcharging me for the work, because I have no way of knowing what you're telling me. Oh well proof will be in the pudding we'll see results when I get to your drone back. I will post the results when I have em.

I purchased a phantom 2 from B&H photo on a sale for a reconditioned unit. I paid $349. The catch was there was no warranty as it is. I jumped in and took the risk. I started out great and simple but had a rough encounter with the tree. it was my fault. after that the GPS lights would not come on any would not read the battery as a DJ DJ I model. I thought it was a bad cable from the connection pins to the board and replaced it myself. that seemed to work but right away it was very intermittent sometimes it would work sometimes it wouldn't. so I sent off the unit to drone fly for repair. their deal is $99.00 for all the labor to repair and evaluate the unit. then if you need parts you have to pay them that too. Arrived yesterday at drone fly and they called me right away. but the news was not good it looks like the nav system is busted. $229.00 for replacement. the dilemma is to pay and keep going or have them send it back part it out and go from there.

I think I have a big case of drone fever and I'm going to throw more money down the DJI Trail. Anyone have any thoughts or alternatives?
I have thrown over $2,500 into my phantom. I purchased a kit with blue tooth connection so I can do way point flying. It never worked. I sent it back to DJI May 7th. They checked it in June 15th. They said it wouldn't be fixed for another 6 weeks. What ever you do get it fixed anywhere but to DJI. I wouldn't buy another DJI product. There are a lot new drones out there that are better.

Do yourself a favor. Sell it, and go buy another drone. DJI service is horrible.

So I hear. well I can't blame DJI for my poor piloting. It seems like such a waste for them to not be on top of the repairs.

Well I laid out the cash. so far so good with dealing with drone fly. There is always this dark voice in my head about repair people. It whispers in my ear they are always overcharging me for the work, because I have no way of knowing what you're telling me. Oh well proof will be in the pudding we'll see results when I get to your drone back. I will post the results when I have em.
I have always had a very good response from DroneFly. Their flat rate repair of $99 plus parts is reasonable.

Reactions: bmcgnh
You should have sent it into B&H for repair.
I had to send it to DJI for it was under warranty. What a huge mistake. I should have just bought another BTU. Next week it will be 3 months that DJI has had my Phantom. And I still haven't heard when it will be sent back.

Ahh, yes. My comment was for the OP who purchased his from B&H

The OP stated he bought a used P2 without a warranty. While B&H has everything under the sun for camera buffs they do not have a repair center for warranty work. In the case of all DJI products they have to be sent to DJI service center for warranty repair.

I just got an email that they have repaired and have sent my Phantom back. It will arrive on my 3 month anniversary of when I sent it in. I think the solution is to never buy a DJI product again.

Actually B&H has a huge DJI repair center for warranty work. At the present time it is only for the DJI products that they sell. I should also note B&H goes above and beyond to keep their customers happy. I assume the OP purchased his Phantom when B&H had the Phantom on the 'Deal Zone', although they were sold without warranty, more than one has come back and repaired/replaced at no charge. Including flyaways...

Sorry I do a lot of business with B&H through out the years and they have no repair facilities for any of the product they sell including DJI. In fact to verify that I call B&H and if a P2 is under warranty it goes to the DJI service center. http://www.dji.com/support

Then if that is the case maybe get a hold of the sales department and straighten it out so everyones on the same page.

But to the original OP he was told there wasn't a warranty on the used P2 and if you look at the used P2 there is no mention of a warranty nor whats in the box for $349.

I wish I'd known that B&H offered such service as repair. I love their store but the receipts and you break it you bought it. I'm very pleased to announce the return my phantom 2 from drone fly after repair. It flew like a champ last night. They called me the day they received it gave me a diagnosis. A bad not as a module. They had it repaired and back to me within 5 days. Judging by other postings of people waiting weeks and weeks for their drone to be repaired. I'm pleased to be back in business and I'm grateful that only took a few days. So from my standpoint I would recommend drone fly repair to anyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic