REMOTE ID P4P V2

Reaction score
Just got through chatting online with DJI, asking about firmware for the P4. Their response has been "Per confirming I am afraid your DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0+ will not have a firmware update for the remote id function.

Funny. I chatted with them a few days ago and asked the same thing. I did not get that answer. They also did not say it was going to get it. It was pretty much they were not sure. Depended on how things went. More to come the closer we get to September 2023. I personally feel they can do it, but probably won't. Planning on buying a remote ID unit later.

Strange that—they “sell” two P4’s; one is this one and the other is the RTK. The P4P 2.0 is currently “out of stock” in all permutations for the foreseeable future. This is (I believe) still a line they believe in and plan to continue. If they don’t issue some sort of patch that might indicate serious changes a-comin’…. a lot of people who want that mechanical shutter and the added stability from the additional weight would likely drop the cash for the v2.0: they won‘t drop $6K for an RTK that does all sorts of enterprise things they don’t need.

Funny. I chatted with them a few days ago and asked the same thing. I did not get that answer. They also did not say it was going to get it. It was pretty much they were not sure. Depended on how things went. More to come the closer we get to September 2023. I personally feel they can do it, but probably won't. Planning on buying a remote ID unit later.
Are there any Remote ID modules on the market yet? I certainly been looking and I have not seen any so far.

Yes.

Reactions: CoreySnipes
Yikes! 199 Eur. that's kind of steep... I think I'll wait a while and see if prices come down.

What is hard to fathom is that no manufacturers in the US have put anything forth for a RID module. Ludicrous at best.

Reactions: Kristina Fowler
US made RID modules are coming.

I know of two U.S. companies working on them. And remember, there is no need for them until 9.16.23. There will be smaller and less expensive RID modules on the market in plenty of time to become compliant.

Also, I would not take what DJI Chat says at face value. They're known to be wrong in their chat. And if that person said that in a chat, I can promise you they were not authorized to do so. Any announcement like that will come in the form of a press release.

And remember, the Mavic Pro Platinum was given it's RID DOC on January 31st. So older DJIs may still be coming.

You can keep track of all RID DOCs for both drones and modules at UAS Declaration of Compliance

It may be a push by DJI for the Mavic 3 E and help phase out the Phantom 4, since it has the mechanical shutter as well.

Strange that—they “sell” two P4’s; one is this one and the other is the RTK. The P4P 2.0 is currently “out of stock” in all permutations for the foreseeable future. This is (I believe) still a line they believe in and plan to continue. If they don’t issue some sort of patch that might indicate serious changes a-comin’…. a lot of people who want that mechanical shutter and the added stability from the additional weight would likely drop the cash for the v2.0: they won‘t drop $6K for an RTK that does all sorts of enterprise things they don’t need.
I thought all P4 Pros had a mechanical shutter. Mine has and it's about 3 years old. Definitely mechanical.

I thought all P4 Pros had a mechanical shutter. Mine has and it's about 3 years old. Definitely mechanical.
It does. I have a P4 Pro as well. The only difference is P4P has Light Bridge transmission system and the V2 uses OcuSync

US made RID modules are coming.

I know of two U.S. companies working on them. And remember, there is no need for them until 9.16.23. There will be smaller and less expensive RID modules on the market in plenty of time to become compliant.

Also, I would not take what DJI Chat says at face value. They're known to be wrong in their chat. And if that person said that in a chat, I can promise you they were not authorized to do so. Any announcement like that will come in the form of a press release.

And remember, the Mavic Pro Platinum was given it's RID DOC on January 31st. So older DJIs may still be coming.

You can keep track of all RID DOCs for both drones and modules at UAS Declaration of Compliance
Thanks Vic,

I ran No Limit Dronz mods on my old P4 Advanced so I can't run DJI firmware updates. I fly as a contractor on wildfires for the Oregon Department of Forestry which means I'm flying in TFRs (w/ FAA waiver) and sending an email to China and waiting for an unlock code to return, that may or may not work is not an option.

Gary

Just got through chatting online with DJI, asking about firmware for the P4. Their response has been "Per confirming I am afraid your DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2.0+ will not have a firmware update for the remote id function.
I am very sure that DJI is putting everything they got into the Mavic 3 series drone for the Prosumer market. The Mavic 2 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro V2, &, The Phantom 4 RTK drones are all out of production now. The M3E, M3M, M3T, and the Matrice enterprise drones are going to be the workhorse for Enterprise Consumers. They all have Remote ID built in.

I don't doubt that all. But, not all of us can afford to upgrade to something on the Enterprise platform. DJI should still support the models they will repair. Only fair to us. There are alot of Phantom 4 users and I really think it would not be that difficult for them to upgrade the firmware.

I don't doubt that all. But, not all of us can afford to upgrade to something on the Enterprise platform. DJI should still support the models they will repair. Only fair to us. There are alot of Phantom 4 users and I really think it would not be that difficult for them to upgrade the firmware.
Well, after the way the US government has treated DJI over the past 4 years and has blacklisted all their drones at the federal level and a lot of state governments are now following suit. They are not going to cater to the US drone market at the Prosumer level in the $1.5K to $2K anymore. I think they will continue with Mini and Air series drones, for the entry-level and small commercial drone markets. Then you have to jump up to the Mavic 3, they did however, release the Mavic 3 Classic, but they cut some features out and the Telephoto camera was a major cut.
But, the one thing to notice is DJI's reluctance to build an all-inclusive drone. All the enterprise-level Mavic 3 drones have mechanical shutters except for the M3T. But DJI then took all the creative photography, intelligent flight modes, hyper-lapse features, and other videography features out of them. Then DJI does not include a mechanical/Global shutter on the Matrice 30, but yet it has an RTK antenna. This has never made any sense to me. I am pretty sure these are marketing decisions, for the purpose of selling more drones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl