Remote ID discussion

Reaction score
So I’m not against this, am happy to pay a reasonable fee to enable or replace my UAS with this technology

however lots to think about. I’m a Private Pilot also, and even fixed wing aircraft non require transponders under the Mode C veil. So will remote ID be required everywhere? Will it clutter up ADSB tracking with irrelevant traffic (under 400’)? Are people breaking the rules now really going to follow the new ones?

just hope to hear some opinions and any actual info.

So I’m not against this, am happy to pay a reasonable fee to enable or replace my UAS with this technology

however lots to think about. I’m a Private Pilot also, and even fixed wing aircraft non require transponders under the Mode C veil. So will remote ID be required everywhere? Will it clutter up ADSB tracking with irrelevant traffic (under 400’)? Are people breaking the rules now really going to follow the new ones?

My understanding is this is completely different than ADS B so there should be no conflict,

Admin approved :)

According to what I've read the new solution is net based; unlike ADS-B. Your aircraft AND your ground station are going to report their position so the operator can be located in case law enforcement wants to find you. Oddly enough, this information is not supposed to be sent to ATC real-time (which confounds me entirely). My large aircraft is already outfitted with a Ping 2020 ADS-B transponder (and I am waiting on a decision as to if I can keep using it). I run a separate laptop for a 5 mile view of everything in the airspace around me and its great for SA. With the new system I am going to be blinded again.
as to people following the rules, UAS manufactured after a specified date will have this built into the system so they really aren't being given a choice as far as I know. I think it may decrease the infractions somewhat, though never truly eliminate them.

sorry, seemed like "rules" was a better place to discuss than "news". Regardless, doesn't sound like there is much more to discuss (yet)

Reactions: R Martin
How do I fid my Remote ID on a Phantom 4 Pro +? I looked in the MC setting but is just isn't there
Until manufacturers start equipping UAVs with remote ID technology, you can't. I have yet to see, and do not expect anything for at least a year or more, any new technology that reports remote ID information nor, to my knowledge, are there any services currently operating to receive said signal. I'm sure the admin will correct me if i am wrong. It has been known to happen.

Until manufacturers start equipping UAVs with remote ID technology, you can't. I have yet to see, and do not expect anything for at least a year or more, any new technology that reports remote ID information nor, to my knowledge, are there any services currently operating to receive said signal. I'm sure the admin will correct me if i am wrong. It has been known to happen.
I see nothing in the following video to indicate that DJI intends to retrofit this feature to older model controllers, which obviously relates to older model drones. It also failed to address many other obvious questions and issues. Based on what I have seen written here and elsewhere about DJI's commitment (or lack of same) to older product, my expectation is that they will take advantage by using it as a lever to force flyers to upgrade. So, how many older drones will be grounded by this regulation? How many flyers of such drones will ignore it and continue to fly? How likely is it that there will be "active" enforcement (which based on what I've read might require an agency to be able to scan for controller to drone operating signals, eliminate any that are compliant with remote ID, and then localize, find, and issue summonses to the remaining operators)? Or will this most likely become one of the myriad regulations for as many activities which is, by itself, unenforceable, and becomes a "throw-in" offense to be added by LE or prosecutors as an aggravating factor to some other offense that is more easily detected? The example that comes to mind is use of a cell phone while driving, which typically falls under a "distracted driving" offense. Pretty much no one is ever written up solely because they were detected using a cell phone, that is typically determined during a stop for speeding, careless/reckless driving, or after a wreck.

Reactions: R Martin
I see nothing in the following video to indicate that DJI intends to retrofit this feature to older model controllers, which obviously relates to older model drones. It also failed to address many other obvious questions and issues. Based on what I have seen written here and elsewhere about DJI's commitment (or lack of same) to older product, my expectation is that they will take advantage by using it as a lever to force flyers to upgrade. So, how many older drones will be grounded by this regulation? How many flyers of such drones will ignore it and continue to fly? How likely is it that there will be "active" enforcement (which based on what I've read might require an agency to be able to scan for controller to drone operating signals, eliminate any that are compliant with remote ID, and then localize, find, and issue summonses to the remaining operators)? Or will this most likely become one of the myriad regulations for as many activities which is, by itself, unenforceable, and becomes a "throw-in" offense to be added by LE or prosecutors as an aggravating factor to some other offense that is more easily detected? The example that comes to mind is use of a cell phone while driving, which typically falls under a "distracted driving" offense. Pretty much no one is ever written up solely because they were detected using a cell phone, that is typically determined during a stop for speeding, careless/reckless driving, or after a wreck.
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm a 107 operator. When it comes down to upgrading my current DJI aircraft it will not be with another DJI aircraft. As far as remote ID goes, RaceDayQuads has a lawsuit working against the FAA and remote ID. Before I start spending money on my aircraft over and above the ADS-B transponder I have currently equipped, I'm going to wait on the outcome of the legal action. RaceDayQuads LLC vs. FAA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav