Reduced range in the UK

There is a location hack for the P3, so i dont see why we cant do similar for the Mavic.
As far as i understand, when booted the TX and P3 check to see which region they are in then apply FCC or FC compliance. If its a similar process, consider tinkering to be done to allow full power.

So even if I brought a Mavic in the US once the drone is in EU it will know this via GPS and automatically adjust a CE 4km range setting? so all in all this is a software restriction and not hardware? and once back in the US or out of the EU the drone will regain the FCC 7km settings for range?

soon we will found hacks to remove restrictions ! just wait few weeks and it will pop up !! already the devkit allows to remove lots of restrictions

soon we will found hacks to remove restrictions ! just wait few weeks and it will pop up !! already the devkit allows to remove lots of restrictions

I'm new to the whole Droning world, this will be my first one, already paid for the pre-order Mavic on Apple Store, so I just want to make sure I understand that all US (FCC) and EU (CE) Mavic's will be the same in hardware and antenna strength, just the software keeps changing due to which country your in?

Where can I find the links to the devkits?

Reactions: Danny-B-
I'm new to the whole Droning world, this will be my first one, already paid for the pre-order Mavic on Apple Store, so I just want to make sure I understand that all US (FCC) and EU (CE) Mavic's will be the same in hardware and antenna strength, just the software keeps changing due to which country your in?

Where can I find the links to the devkits?
Yes thats correct, it's based on the current location of the drone.

Reactions: Laz
What about using a Ground Station App, there is a 4km range from the remote in EU but what if you set the drone to fly to a field and land 8km away from your position using GPS on the Ground Station App? what would happen then? Will it stop 4km away and hover? Will it not even take off? has anyone tried anything like this on another DJI drone using GS App?

What about using a Ground Station App, there is a 4km range from the remote in EU but what if you set the drone to fly to a field and land 8km away from your position using GPS on the Ground Station App? what would happen then? Will it stop 4km away and hover? Will it not even take off? has anyone tried anything like this on another DJI drone using GS App?

Nope, it will not land at 4Km, it will finish the mission even without a valid signal. And yes, i do this sometimes and the first time is nerve racking waiting and hoping it will get back in range. You need an app that allows planning ahead though like litchi

Hmm, I would be very surprised to see that, as far as a know it was only possible on a standard where you could accidentally connect to the drone via wifi and get into a terminal session but never on something with lightbridge.
Maybe due to the enormous orders that seem to be, it attracts more capable people with hacking skills but the dji firmware is really tight.
Besides, the phanto,/inspire series could already have a lot more range using the supercheap windsurfers on the antennas so you can probably use that principle on the Mavic too.

(My phantom 3 wend from around 3Km range to well over 6Km by just using the windsurfer beam concentrator and that for $5

If it will happen that it's not going to be a "power" issue.
They will probably limit the distance by GEO fencing.

Again.. That is IF...

There is a hack for WIFI models to increase the power output with a small app, I'm not in europe, this app would be illegal I guess,
you can check it out for education purposes of course .. ;-)
The Magic power by Fadjar Hamidi - Jogjasky
It worked for me, but use it at your own risk ... I wonder if the WIFI module of the Mavic is also hackable .. The future will tell ..

That's just a lot of ifs and buts. And NO the UK won't accept a rule that's made for Europe.

If the rule comes in BEFORE exit ... the UK will suffer. Remenber its already been said that a lot of EU rules will be adopted into UK on exiting ...

im glad we (UK) will be out of the EU soon then, sooner the better
As this is really about open skies, this is going to be something that the CAA will have the loudest voice on, to be part of it or not. Like lots existing EU legislation the UK is going continue to comply, or else suffer economically from restricted trade.
Watch for example EU mainland airline carriers benefit from open skies and decreasing their costs becoming more profitable, while UK carriers wont see the same levels of cost savings. After many years UK carriers will become much weaker competing on all routes long and short.
The CAA and Dep of Transport will examine this very carefully and no doubt see that integration in open skies is the best policy.

Last edited:
I'd add, in a moment of boredom sitting in Thailand where there are few restrictions, that behind the scenes in any planned range and altitude restrictions being incorporated into firmware updates, there lurks the hand of the "Law" wanting to prevent any flying objects being used for terrorist purposes. Moreover, sadly a few crazed scaremongering newspapers and pisxsxed-up pilots who cannot discriminate between a silver party balloon and drone on finals to Heathrow have contributed to woefully damaging our hobby. Range and power hacks may work (for CE imposed radio power levels), but altering the behaviour of the firmware using its co-located GPS chip is more difficult. Unless a community-trusted hacker can do it at the code level. I suggest buying a P3 pro and keeping it from updating its firmware when these legal impositions are becoming apparent. Leaving EU / CE will not change anything, we will still adopt harmonised rules and in most cases BS (British Standards) will apply and they will be the same as the EU bunkum. I know I work in defence electronics. :-( PS The simpletons who voted for Brexit will have to face the reality soon that it hasnt done anything good...but that's off topic.

Reactions: datincan
Good job we in the U.K. voted for Brexit then eh? EU rules won't apply to us when article 50 is triggered.....

Now the E.U Brexit voter or supporter know they are scr*wed by regulation. Anyway... cheers people. Travel and fly elsewhere not in E.U [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4