Real estate for rookies

I'm just missing something

Generally, in Canada we need a "SFOC' (Special Flight Operations Certificate) if you are conducting business with your UAV. I've spent a lot of time and energy and $$$ getting prepped for application. Each time you fly for $$ you must have an SFOC for that particular job. Each application can take 4 - 12 weeks. Do something wrong in your application and you start the process over.
There are now 4 types of applications:
Compliant Operator,
Restricted Operator - Complex Application,
Restricted Operator - Simplified Application,
Restricted Operator - MAAC/AMA Application <----does not apply for commercial use so can be ignored.

The second you lift off for non-recreational use, you fall under the TC rules for SFOC.

I'm really not trying to kill your vibe, but if you have another UAV operator/business in the area like I do, all the t's need to be crossed and i's dotted.

Best of Luck.. fly safe!

Reactions: Lofty Visions
Generally, in Canada we need a "SFOC' (Special Flight Operations Certificate) if you are conducting business with your UAV. I've spent a lot of time and energy and $$$ getting prepped for application. Each time you fly for $$ you must have an SFOC for that particular job. Each application can take 4 - 12 weeks. Do something wrong in your application and you start the process over.
There are now 4 types of applications:
Compliant Operator,
Restricted Operator - Complex Application,
Restricted Operator - Simplified Application,
Restricted Operator - MAAC/AMA Application <----does not apply for commercial use so can be ignored.

The second you lift off for non-recreational use, you fall under the TC rules for SFOC.

I'm really not trying to kill your vibe, but if you have another UAV operator/business in the area like I do, all the t's need to be crossed and i's dotted.

Best of Luck.. fly safe!

Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't the p3 fall under the exemption rule because it's under 2.1kg? This is all very confusing.

Reactions: acherman
Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't the p3 fall under the exemption rule because it's under 2.1kg? This is all very confusing.

Not sure about where you are but here in Aus only a licensed operator can apply to get around the rules of flying closer than 30m, flying over poplulous areas etc. CASA won't grant permission to anyone else even with the sub 2kg exemption (when it comes into force) and insurance companies won't grant insurance for non certified operators so that rules out real estate agents without a controllers cert in most suburban areas. I'm sure many will get away with it until accidents happen then the brown stuff will hit the fan and CASA will probably clamp down on it all.

Reactions: Skypicswa
Fly outside using the new features and take the props off and run through the house with it on so the gimbal still functions and you get a nice steady shot just like you're flying through the house. I know they can fly inside but their is no real need for the risk unless you have a legitimate need to actually fly it indoors. A run through without the props will be better.

Reactions: Scottish Terrier
To the OP, I would not recommend taking the job if this is your second day flying. I do this professionally both from the ground and from the air 12-16hrs a day (if you count post processing) and I can tell you even the simplest real estate aerial job can get really complicated really fast. Powerlines, trees, the neighborhood kid walking over and standing right in your landing spot, cars, dogs, you name it I have dealt with it.

In addition to the flying challenges you have to properly frame the house, surrounding property, etc. get the camera settings right, then be familiar with post processing work for the footage. Also as others here have mentioned, the house has to be properly staged; garage doors closed, no cars in the driveway, pools free of toys, grass cut, etc etc. or the shoot will still turn out bad.

I strongly disagree with posters who say you also need to stay out of your shot. I get as close to the house as possible, spend less than 2-5 min in the air and just remove myself in post vs trying to stay out of the shot. It is more important to have a clear transmitter signal between you and your bird and a good place to takeoff and land when you are done than to stay out of the shot. A lot of newbies burn half their battery while they try to hide from the camera, when in reality it takes 30 seconds in post to edit yourself out. Video on the other hand is a different story, but since I charge substantially more for video, and limit the amount of video jobs I do per day, I make sure it is worth my while.

That's an amazing video! It almost looks as if it was computer generated. What camera settings have you used? I appreciate your co

Don't over use the drone. Really, just because you have it doesn't mean you need to use it for every shot. Make sure the aerial shot makes sense. Use a tripod based camera as well. You are selling an entire property, not just the exterior, and certainly not the roof. Use it to establish the venue, maybe a property overview, but then put it away, get out your GoPro or DSLR, and continue with a tripod.

Sparing use will have greater impact to the overall video.

Reactions: Lori

Yes, it falls under exemption. In fact that exemption was created almost purposely for real estate vids. You still need insurance, however.

Please I operated a business in CA for 15 years with no LIC and No Insurance. I did lawyers doctors and the other well to do's. Never once had an issue.
Rule one no one around when flying...
Rule Two what happens in the air stays in the air.
Rule three make money! and don't under cut.

The agent cares about , the cost, and get it done. They are not liable... You are!
Now with no one around, what kind of damage could a small bird being flown safely cause? for goodness sake how many folks fly out of LOS I hit 3 Miles!!!!
I hit 500 feet!!!! Flying over people, flying in the City?? Over highways! Flying at Night! The list goes on.... No one freaks out? But Start making some money and every tom **** and harry comes out. Hmmmm I wonder are they doing something like many many many others are doing? Under the table work?

If you live in CA you can without a LIC do jobs for $500.00 labor and materials. Just show the person a one page letter from the contractors board and your safe. It's not like we are putting in electrical wires or pluming.

Sorry for ranting... if you got a 333 fine, but I tell you this many others are making money without 333's and doing a good job at it, it just takes getting to know your agents and the work flows in like water. Opps broke a windows 300.00 bucks to replace odds of it happening (ZIP if your smart :) )... did that job for free... Next job please

Your explanation is 100% spot on. Do these UAV police think that there are babies crawling around on the ground while filming with a drone?

I think they are doing something "fishy" on the side as well and just don't want people coming in on their space... the more they attempt to scare people off... they longer they think they can keep doing it themselves. For me?? I don't see a lot of money potential doing something like it... but for those that think it's a good trade-off for their time... then this 333 exemption police thing is pretty funny. These same types in most cases are breaking MANY FAA rules.

Reactions: Vanjo Grale
I think the question here is can you get liability insurance in your country if you're not licensed. Great if you can but where I come from you can't. Even insured commercial pilots are 100% liable if they do something unsafe and outside of their approval.

Its also sad that trained pilots get shot down trying to offer constructive advise on here when showing concern to a rookie pilot. I thought that's what forums were for.

Anyhow, good luck to the OP. Fly safe :)

Reactions: BigAl07
This may be of interest for those in the U.S.
Drone Law Journal
Notwithstanding his conclusions, getting liability insurance without the 333 exemption remains an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Realistically, I would say this: if the reward is high enough, risks are worth taking. It's really just a question of price, risk vs reward.

The problem with real estate is that these jobs get paid very little. Most people don't do these jobs or they optimize them so they can knock out XX houses in a day.

Whenever you're dealing with a ton of random people and public spaces, you are playing with fire if you don't have insurance/etc. If you're "judgement proof" it doesn't matter. But people who buy $1300 toys tend to have something to lose when things go wrong.

Reactions: envisionabove
It's my understanding that, in the U.S., commercial liability insurance is not available for those without a 333 exemption .... If someone knows differently, please let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not been reading everything but I see the picture: New guy, 2 days owner of a P3, no clue about piloting or laws and regulations, over excited to come here thinking he found the magic cauldron and want advices on prospering in his new illegal business... Exactly the type of guy I would put down if he was trying to do that here in the UK. Fortunately for him he's not, but that doesn't diminish the risk linked to his non skills and the fact that he still can hurt unwillingly innocents when operating in this populated area. You never know how bad even a simple scratch can be, on a Lamborghini maybe, or worse, in the eye of a little girl playing in her garden.
Only morons can advise him to carry on at will, or they are really vicious twisted fox. OP, best advice, if you want to do this, get licensed and insured professionally. When you are, you can do what you want. I guess that now you charge a sandwich for the job and it is not fair for the legit competition. When you will have invested time and money in this trade you will understand better what I am talking about.
Do not push your luck, do not listen the unconscious, and remember me when you'll be sitting in court looking at your shoes.

Not been reading everything but I see the picture: New guy, 2 days owner of a P3, no clue about piloting or laws and regulations, over excited to come here thinking he found the magic cauldron and want advices on prospering in his new illegal business... Exactly the type of guy I would put down if he was trying to do that here in the UK. Fortunately for him he's not, but that doesn't diminish the risk linked to his non skills and the fact that he still can hurt unwillingly innocents when operating in this populated area. You never know how bad even a simple scratch can be, on a Lamborghini maybe, or worse, in the eye of a little girl playing in her garden.
Only morons can advise him to carry on at will, or they are really vicious twisted fox. OP, best advice, if you want to do this, get licensed and insured professionally. When you are, you can do what you want. I guess that now you charge a sandwich for the job and it is not fair for the legit competition. When you will have invested time and money in this trade you will understand better what I am talking about.
Do not push your luck, do not listen the unconscious, and remember me when you'll be sitting in court looking at your shoes.

Well said sir. It's only when you've completed your commercial training are you fully aware of the risks and rules. I paid the $$ and did mine not long ago and can certainly say theres a big difference between the people who know and the people who think they know. Sadly the internet is full of the latter and they will be the ones responsible for the FAA, CAA, CASA or whoever clamping down on hobbyists when people start getting hurt.

Reactions: sergekouper
Well said sir. It's only when you've completed your commercial training are you fully aware of the risks and rules. I paid the $$ and did mine not long ago and can certainly say theres a big difference between the people who know and the people who think they know. Sadly the internet is full of the latter and they will be the ones responsible for the FAA, CAA, CASA or whoever clamping down on hobbyists when people start getting hurt.
You said it all, I totally agree with you. It should make sense for everyone here, but will it?

Websites and commercial business
Monthly maintenance fee
A few videos with or without a uav
;)

How you do it is up to you. ;) wink wink
It was fun...
Real estate stinks no money unless you get big and others do the photos for you.
A few million dollar properties... Never do entry level homes.

Those are my parting tips
From 5000 feet up in a national Forest, and it's freaken cold this morning. Burrr

Wow, some of you it seems this work fell right in your lap. I wish I could say the same for myself. I've been trying to do a little side business with my Phantom for quite a number of months now. I printed up some business cards, flyers and setup a decent webpage with a small photo gallery of homes I've done aerial photos of for fun. I mailed out like 60 flyers to various real estate agents and not even 1 call or inquiry from any of them. What a bummer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20