RC and gps signal lost

Reaction score
Good day to everyone,

I am interested/need to know what would happen if both GPS and RC signals would be lost?
Let me explain, I want to know what would Phantom 3 Professional would do if all signals are lost and Phantom is left without any connection to something besides himself.
P.S. Sorry if there is same tread in the forum.

Good day to everyone,
I am interested/need to know what would happen if both GPS and RC signals would be lost?
Let me explain, I want to know what would Phantom 3 Professional would do if all signals are lost and Phantom is left without any connection to something besides himself.
Without GPS, your Phantom cannot find its way home (or anywhere else).
It would just hover until it landed because of low battery warning.

BUT ... losing GPS is very, very unlikely unless you are flying in deep canyons, beside tall buildings, under tree cover or somewhere else that blocks the view of the sky.

As for losing signal, that's putting you in RTH territory as explained in the manual.
Note that the Phantom usually loses video signal before it loses control signal if it is because of distance rather than an obstacle blocking signal.
It is possible to lose video signal or even have a message saying no signal but still have control allowing you to fly back or initiate RTH.

Well what if I would be flying near huge eletromagnetical fields, should I loose GPS and RC ? And if RC and GPS is lost only thing you can do is pray?

Ohh and I forgot to ask, if somehow RC and GPS are down, he only hower if there is no wind. If there is wind, he will fly to same side that wind if blowing?

Last edited:
Well what if I would be flying near huge eletromagnetical fields, should I loose GPS and RC ? And if RC and GPS is lost only thing you can do is pray?
Ohh and I forgot to ask, if somehow RC and GPS are down, he only hower if there is no wind. If there is wind, he will fly to same side that wind if blowing?
Don't worry about losing GPS.
If you are flying in the open, it won't happen.

But I am flying near really strong magnetic fields and other people said that be ready to lose my GPS signal there.

If you are too close to strong fields I doubt that would have any effect at all on your GPS. If you are very close it will affect your compass though

And then what happens? If the compass goes wrong, as I imagine copter then lose it's direction and if I make him fly forward he can fly backwards or something similar or something different entirely? I would to know everything about these kind of situation so I won't crash my copter.

And then what happens? If the compass goes wrong, as I imagine copter then lose it's direction and if I make him fly forward he can fly backwards or something similar or something different entirely? I would to know everything about these kind of situation so I won't crash my copter.
If you know you are flying into a magnetic disturbance and suspect it may cause trouble, take it gently.
Go in slowly looking for indications of compass trouble and if the Phantom starts to slowly spiral, simply back out or climb out of the field.
You can get an idea what this is like by slowly lowering the Phantom toward a steel roof and seeing what it does and how you can recover by climbing away again.

What kind of environment are you flying in that you think will have strong fields?

I am going to fly really close to high voltage post and there is some kind of thing on them, i don't remember the name of it, that creates that field. I need to take a lot of close photos of those things.

I am going to fly really close to high voltage post and there is some kind of thing on them, i don't remember the name of it, that creates that field. I need to take a lot of close photos of those things.
Just approach slowly and look out for compass error warnings in the app or slow spiraling and be prepared to back off if necessary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers