Raptors used to take down drones

Reaction score
Nature beats technology ?
photo Credit : Koen van Weel

1578522083689.png

I suspect the same! It just looks too perfect of a picture and yeah that's a phantom 3 it looks like and the scale of an eagle to that seems off

I suspect the same! It just looks too perfect of a picture and yeah that's a phantom 3 it looks like and the scale of an eagle to that seems off
I have seen this photo pop up in many other places especially when somebody wants to annoy another that is into drones! LOL

Yes this has been posted many times here. One could
do a search and find the threads if they wanted but seems
most thought that picture was photoshopped.
020F814A-2736-4270-8E11-BA077D01E825.png

During those tests (circa 20162017) as soon as the bird grabbed the UAS the props were stopped to avoid harming the bird. This practice has since been halted IIRC.

For the record, that shot was captured by a phenomenal photographer names Koen van Weel. That's a real pic. Here's a video of one of the demonstrations from 2017. Notice how the props stop the moment the bird grasps the aircraft (actually just before it grabs it I believe:

During those tests (circa 20162017) as soon as the bird grabbed the UAS the props were stopped to avoid harming the bird. This practice has since been halted IIRC.

For the record, that shot was captured but a phenomenal photographer names Koen van Weel. That's a real pic. Here's a video of one of the demonstrations from 2017. Notice how the props stop the moment the bird grasps the aircraft (actually just before it grabs it I believe:
Yup..there it is.
F42C1622-766B-43F9-8235-FA4118C6CCF2.png

I was one that thought it was photoshopped soooooo
think i will have a snack.?
images copy.jpg

:) Many thought the image was photo-shopped back in the day.

Reactions: dirkclod
No not a phantom 3 due to the legs on it
Even if props were turning on any drone those birds tallons(claws) wont feel a thing cause they like steel,,even so makes a great picture

Reactions: lasersbee
Drone looks like the cheep Pro Mark I started with!

It could very well be. There are several aircraft of that same design (I'd say they were the same just re-branded) in the economical sector of the hobby.

Pro Mark I
BAYANGTOYS X16
syma falcon4

and I'm sure many others.

Thanks for the video Allen. I thought it was a fake too, since the talon in the first pic isn't even on the drone but above it.
However, now that I've seen this video, at the very least I have an excuse I can give my boss if I crash one of the Phantoms :)

Fake or not but the eagles really do that as we can see in the video. The rotors were spinning a bit when the eagle moved his leg. So spinning was stopped by the eagle. The same can do a parachute mounted at the top of the Phantom. It blocks mechanically propellers first with some kind of sticks pushed out. If there was a bigger drone I'm not so sure that eagle survived with no damage to his legs.

Reactions: OOO
Fake or not but the eagles really do that as we can see in the video. The rotors were spinning a bit when the eagle moved his leg. So spinning was stopped by the eagle. The same can do a parachute mounted at the top of the Phantom. It blocks mechanically propellers first with some kind of sticks pushed out. If there was a bigger drone I'm not so sure that eagle survived with no damage to his legs.

I completely agree. Some larger UAS would potentially harm the bird but their legs/feet are fairly well "shielded". Even so, I suspect a strong Carbon Fiber blade with enough torgue would probably bring blood at some point.

Reactions: OOO
I must admit, I am a chicken, I have seen to many videos of raptors attacking Drones. When I see birds of prey take notice of my drone, (which has happened several times) I cut bait and run!
I beware of seagulls here on the coast. Never had my drone attacked, but some seemed to be interested. We have a lot of eagles around here also.

I completely agree. Some larger UAS would potentially harm the bird but their legs/feet are fairly well "shielded". Even so, I suspect a strong Carbon Fiber blade with enough torgue would probably bring blood at some point.
I beware of seagulls here on the coast. Never had my drone attacked, but some seemed to be interested. We have a lot of eagles around here also.
Try putting some reflective tape on your drone. Birds don't like flashy things.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj