Range Cuts Out When I Rotate Bird

Reaction score
Hey gang,

For a while now (code for since two firmware updates ago) I thought I had a firmware issue. I had been flying my P3S drone out to several hundred feet away from me, at the 375-foot altitude. But then after one update, I suddenly found myself being limited to 1-300 feet at most, period, before my remote signal was being lost. This includes altitude.

These new restrictive flights are from the same location that I first had a very successful set of flights. I also tried other locations, to no avail. (I live in a fairly rural location)

I've been tinkering with the remote, making sure everything is synced right, tinkering with my app/drone settings and other things to see what the issue is. I have yet to add a signal booster of any kind, nor have I had a chance to sync a different remote up with my bird to verify it is/was the remote or not.

Then yesterday, something new happened. After tinkering with everything once again, I sent the bird out in a straight line away from me, and low and behold, it got out to almost 800 feet! Woooooo hoooo! It works, it works it... wait, what?

The moment I rotated the bird to get a different view going, the remote signal failed and it went to RTH mode.

Once I got it back under control, I tried a test. I sent it out to about 120 up and out away from my location, then very slowly started to rotate the bird, and sure enough, I kept losing the remote signal. Even when it was straight over head at times.

Whatever distance capacity it had, it is seemingly gone. I need to recreate this test in a different location, but I'm feeling pretty confident that I am in a decent location as it is.

Do these symptoms trigger any thoughts with anyone on what it could be or what I could try in addition to the basic things I've already tried? Thank you.

Last edited:
If you were loosing video only i would suggest changing the video downlink channel in go app. An update ago on iso the channel was changed to manual and i had allnsorts of dramas untill changing back to auto.

BTW- signal loss directly overhead is normal and expecded.

Reactions: BruSimm
I kinda notice the same thing since about a few days I had my P3S. I can only deduce that antenna placement, angle, and even connectivity may have everything to do with it.

The two 2.4GHz antennas for video are located inside the shell, one located each side (port and starboard, if you will) and are the "patch" type antenna, practically the same ones used on the controller. These antennas are inherently directional and the signal is strongest when you're facing the flat side of the antenna. With that in mind, in theory, you would have better video signal if the controller is pointed at either side of the bird, and less if it's facing away from you or towards you. This is the reason why video starts to struggle when you rotate the aircraft when it's at a considerable distance.

The two 5GHz antennas are located on two opposite corners of the landing gears. These are omnidirectional as they're simple whip antennas. Again in theory, signal quality shouldn't change when the aircraft rotates. If you lose connectivity while the aircraft rotates, it could mean that one of the antennas aren't working.

I am actually contemplating on a teardown to inspect these antennas and their connectors. I have a feeling that the 2.4GHz antennas may have shifted, cables bent/damaged, or connectors loose.

Reactions: BruSimm
If you were loosing video only i would suggest changing the video downlink channel in go app. An update ago on iso the channel was changed to manual and i had allnsorts of dramas untill changing back to auto.

BTW- signal loss directly overhead is normal and expecded.

I'll take a look at the ISO channel, but it's not video loss that's the issue. It's "remote signal" loss. The app says signal weak, then lost, then the bird RTHs.

Also, when the bird is overhead, I reorientate the antenna to NOT be pointing at the bird.

Thanks "Birds."

I kinda notice the same thing since about a few days I had my P3S. I can only deduce that antenna placement, angle, and even connectivity may have everything to do with it.

The two 2.4GHz antennas for video are located inside the shell, one located each side (port and starboard, if you will) and are the "patch" type antenna, practically the same ones used on the controller. These antennas are inherently directional and the signal is strongest when you're facing the flat side of the antenna. With that in mind, in theory, you would have better video signal if the controller is pointed at either side of the bird, and less if it's facing away from you or towards you. This is the reason why video starts to struggle when you rotate the aircraft when it's at a considerable distance.

The two 5GHz antennas are located on two opposite corners of the landing gears. These are omnidirectional as they're simple whip antennas. Again in theory, signal quality shouldn't change when the aircraft rotates. If you lose connectivity while the aircraft rotates, it could mean that one of the antennas aren't working.

I am actually contemplating on a teardown to inspect these antennas and their connectors. I have a feeling that the 2.4GHz antennas may have shifted, cables bent/damaged, or connectors loose.

When I first had the PS3, I was fine. This is a recent development where there is no more range. I wish it were just a video issue, but no. In my first few weeks of having the drone, I was able to go so far out that my WiFi connection was lost, but I still had control of the bird. This issue is more about remote to drone signal cutting out, the drone, coming to a halt, then going into RTH mode.

Yep, I think it might be time to open the drone up. OMG! This could get ugly! LOL.

Thanks Orly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20