Range, Antenna Mods, Clear LOS

Reaction score
I have a P3P, MavicP, and a P4P. The P4P is relatively new and it's been gnawing at my brain because of the lack of range less than a mile and it's already losing video. I have the Maximus DBS itelite NO AMPS modified antenna on the P3P and it's rock solid in video and control signal as far as the battery allows ~33,000ft round trip. Last night I went out to flat farm land to test and what the problem is, or reason, is that the second there's not a clear line of sight with the P4P the signal is gone. I mean like one leaf and it's game over with the stock antenna, however it just sailed along mile after mile with NOTHING in the way at all. That's makes me feel much much better because it's hard to find anything on the web with any data on the P4P antenna mods or not. I was using an iPad 4 mini and discovered that may be a problem and that I don't understand at all, it's too much for it play some video? I used my iPhone 7+ with nothing blocking LOS but plenty of high powered wires all rock solid signals. The Mavic Pro stock antenna by far has the best signal in town with trees and buildings, etc. I don't know if anyone is interested by I was dying to know if the P4P was going to crap out at 3500 ft when I routinely flew 30,000 with a Phantom 3 and almost that with just windsurfers.

These RF performance differences/issues are at the discretion, if not the maturity of design capability, of DJI.
In the US they have full FCC allowed access to applicable spectrum and radiation limits.
They make the decision as to the 'best' solution for a given form-factor or other design goals/constraints.

I have a P3P, MavicP, and a P4P. The P4P is relatively new and it's been gnawing at my brain because of the lack of range less than a mile and it's already losing video. I have the Maximus DBS itelite NO AMPS modified antenna on the P3P and it's rock solid in video and control signal as far as the battery allows ~33,000ft round trip. Last night I went out to flat farm land to test and what the problem is, or reason, is that the second there's not a clear line of sight with the P4P the signal is gone. I mean like one leaf and it's game over with the stock antenna, however it just sailed along mile after mile with NOTHING in the way at all. That's makes me feel much much better because it's hard to find anything on the web with any data on the P4P antenna mods or not. I was using an iPad 4 mini and discovered that may be a problem and that I don't understand at all, it's too much for it play some video? I used my iPhone 7+ with nothing blocking LOS but plenty of high powered wires all rock solid signals. The Mavic Pro stock antenna by far has the best signal in town with trees and buildings, etc. I don't know if anyone is interested by I was dying to know if the P4P was going to crap out at 3500 ft when I routinely flew 30,000 with a Phantom 3 and almost that with just windsurfers.
You must be using 2.4Ghz. Switch to 5.8Ghz AUTO and try again. With a windsurfer I can easily go 4miles with P4P. MAXX UAS just got new Itelite antennas, designed specific for the P4P, so if you really want to upgrade, they now have a solution, as of about a month ago. But IMO, the stock antennas with a Windsurfer is only limited by the battery, the range rocks, UNLIKE the P4 which sucks big-time. For some strange reason DJI detuned the P4 RC (GL300C) having less than half the range of my P3P. I finally bought an Inspire RC to fly the P4 and that works really good, 2 to 3 miles easy. The P4P is a rock star for range, try 5.8Ghz, with Windsurfer.

Have you ever tried it without the windsurfers? Any noticeable reduction in range? I always use mine but I'm running into some instances where, for reasons beyond my control at the time, I'm flying very close to being directly overhead and the windsurfers are actually being counter productive in that I can't adjust the antennas position. For that reason I'm thinking of flying without them more often. The p4p camera FOV is quite a bit tighter than the P3 and I have to leave that much more room to back up from what I'm filming. That's mostly why I've been uncomfortably close to being directly overhead sometimes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik