Range after latest firmware 1.1.32

Reaction score
I installed the new firmware today and the channel config file. I decided I wanted my first flights to be about range testing.

Previously on 1.1.19 I reached just over 10k feet using Dave's 3d printed windsurfer. Hadn't actually tested range with and without it since I got the extender when I first got the machine and just leave it on.

Today first flight with no windsurfer I started to lose signal at 8700 feet so I turned to face myself and changed the channel. Made it another 1000 feet to a total of 9700.

Second flight with the windsurfer installed I didn't lose signal until 9200 feet but after turning around and changing channels I only made it to about 9450.

All of these tests were flying over open space at about 500 feet (only 50-100 feet over he ground below the bird) as I fly along a ridge (hog back) the runs near our house. While the bird was in open space there are plenty of homes between me and the bird so lots of wifi, etc. both tests I flew until I lost video signal. Today I didn't lost RC just video. On the previous firmware I would always lose both at the same time.

So, seems to be similar range as on .19. The biggest surprise for me was that the windsurfer doesn't seem to be adding any range for me. In fact it was more directional and harder to keep in line for a strong signal.

Can't complain about nearly 2 miles stock! My main fear of leaving .19 was messing up my good range. Everything seems solid. The only odd thing I experienced was that when yawing sometimes it seemed like it would creep back after I stopped turning. Like it didn't hold its heading as perfectly as before.

Also, my horizon is still off. I did an in air calibration and it didn't help. Did a rotation fix and it actually held through the flight. And it stayed true with the second battery! That was a big improvement. (Did IMU, compass, and gimbal calibrations after firmware upgrade)

Possible silly question - what is a rotation fix?

Sent from my PT beating heart

No worries. I am always trying to learn things I don't know and wanted to be educated!!

Sent from my PT beating heart

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl