Rancho Palos Verde

We fly Huntington Beach pier most nites at sunset you can text me 7148128671 Steve park on beach side across Dairy Queen
You can fly the pier with no one hassling you? I would have thought it was off limits?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've flown Huntington pier a couple times across from dairy queen. I typically fly the last hour of the day in the off season to minimize people. I'll fly there again around November, the parking lots are less full then, no hassle parking.

Reactions: regdawg
Well I just got to long beach this afternoon visiting the in-laws. I brought the P3 just incase I find time to fly.[emoji5] Maybe RPV? This will be my 1st actual flight with it so I dunno.

There's a good cliff at Point Vicente about 1000' southeast of the lighthouse.
ac08b61e52238fffaae2b076ea3a4864.jpg

There's a good cliff at Point Vicente about 1000' southeast of the lighthouse.
ac08b61e52238fffaae2b076ea3a4864.jpg
Yeah I just might go check this out this afternoon. Do many people fly there with no hassle?

No, when I was there nobody came by, it's fairly remote from foot traffic. There's a small dirt area that's somewhat close to level for take-offs. You'll definitely want to hand catch during landing.

I flew the lighthouse on Saturday. It was my first negative-altitude flight. I was as low as -20 meters (or negative 65 feet). It was weird seeing the altimeter below zero! :eek:

I launched from a rock to avoid the dirt and dust on the deck. I also hand-caught it for the same reason.

Check it out ...

I flew the lighthouse on Saturday. It was my first negative-altitude flight. I was as low as -20 meters (or negative 65 feet). It was weird seeing the altimeter below zero! :eek:

I launched from a rock to avoid the dirt and dust on the deck. I also hand-caught it for the same reason.

Check it out ...

Awesome. Was this morning or afternoon? No one bothered you?

Awesome. Was this morning or afternoon? No one bothered you?

Thanks! It was morning. I went the weekend before in the afternoon and the winds were too strong to fly (at least for me).

No hassles. I was outside the radius of TOA. I did have a couple of curious people ask about it and were amazed at how everything worked! The key here is to get it up in the air quickly and don't hover close by. This draws attention. When hovering close by, people tend to get suspicious. I launched and quickly descended to -20 meters as I was flying toward the point. Being down that low or up high (148' as I orbited the lighthouse), people don't tend to mind or even notice the aircraft. My curious onlookers were walking by as I landed (hand-caught) my P4.

Thanks! It was morning. I went the weekend before in the afternoon and the winds were too strong to fly (at least for me).

No hassles. I was outside the radius of TOA. I did have a couple of curious people ask about it and were amazed at how everything worked! The key here is to get it up in the air quickly and don't hover close by. This draws attention. When hovering close by, people tend to get suspicious. I launched and quickly descended to -20 meters as I was flying toward the point. Being down that low or up high (148' as I orbited the lighthouse), people don't tend to mind or even notice the aircraft. My curious onlookers were walking by as I landed (hand-caught) my P4.
Sweet! Next time we visit the in laws, I'll fly.

Since this thread also contained discussion on the HB Pier, here's what I did last week ...

Since this thread also contained discussion on the HB Pier, here's what I did last week ...

Another nice one....this was in the AM as well? Yeah I'm headed down to LB this weekend so going to hit up Pointe Vicente, Saturday AM for a flight.

Another nice one....this was in the AM as well? Yeah I'm headed down to LB this weekend so going to hit up Pointe Vicente, Saturday AM for a flight.
Thanks! :)

Yes, around 8:30 on a weekday morning. Weekends will have more people at that hour, so be careful. Be mindful of the winds at whatever altitude you will be flying (hint: use UAVForecast.com and set your wind altitude).

I have flown both Point Vicente Lighthouse and Terranea's public beach on the weekends and haven't been bothered by anyone. I also went over to Malaga Cove and did a sunset flight which was awesome!! Just don't piss off the surfers!

I have flown both Point Vicente Lighthouse and Terranea's public beach on the weekends and haven't been bothered by anyone. I also went over to Malaga Cove and did a sunset flight which was awesome!! Just don't piss off the surfers!
I was at Malaga Cove last weekend. That's a great spot to fly. It has lots of free parking and a long hiking path down to the water. I was there in the morning and plan to go back again in the late afternoon. There are several good spots between Malaga and Point Vicente Lighthouse, such as the SS Dominator Shipwreck next to Lunada Bay. It doesn't look like a ship today, but it's a cool flight. The whole peninsula is a target rich flight area.

BTW, be careful north of Malaga Cove, Class D airspace starts about 1000' north of Flat Rock Point , according to Airmap.com

Here's my end product.

Reactions: ChrisA
For those interested in flying in Rancho Palos Verdes, please be aware that there's a drone policy in place. The city prohibits drone on parks and city-owned properties. If you flew @ point vicente lighthouse you could get in trouble. Another site mentioned, abalone cove, also belongs to RPV.

http://www.rpvca.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/8623

I would love to fly around this city but that policy makes it impossible to fly legally.

Afternoon guys, I am visiting in-laws at Ranch Palos Verde and was hoping to do some flying along the cliffs and coast. I was trying to read up on the legality of flying in this area, pretty confusing. Does anyone have any advice they would be willing to share with a fellow flyer to fly legally and safely in this area? I read the Ranch Palos Verde paper and it appears that I can only fly straight up and straight down above my house. This seems very restrictive. Any help would be great. Thanks

The city doesn't control air space, the FAA does. City can control where you launch and land. Many tourist turn outs are posted not flying of model aircraft, but there are many other places you can fly that won't bother anyone along the coastline. I'll send you a map later tonight.

Thanks John. I was just down at pt vacente interpretative center ... no drones. Cant help but see the potential for flights. Lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik